• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

vasectomys...

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
Ha! Yes, Melinda did delivery Madelyn! Esther delivered our second, Ben. Dr. V is going to make sure it doesn't happen again!!!
Esther was our second midwife for our firstborn so I know her well. She had already gone back to Riverdale midwives by the time we got pregnant with number 2, i'm guessing your kids are fairly close in age?

Vote_4_Pedro

TRIBE Member
Esther was our second midwife for our firstborn so I know her well. She had already gone back to Riverdale midwives by the time we got pregnant with number 2, i'm guessing your kids are fairly close in age?
We actually followed Esther to Riverdale as she was our primary at the other clinic, but was off for Maddy's birth.

Thankfully, she was on for Ben's, and actually had to do it all alone as Ben came quickly. The second arrived to do the paperwork! We LOVE Esther, so wonderful.

Maddy was born in May 09 and Ben this past Oct.

And, as you all know, no more siblings! I am actually looking forward to it, to be honest. I'm terrified of my wife, as she now just started her period again (we are sleep training Ben with our sleep doula). The whole night sleeps = period return, evidently!!!

Snip, snip - here I come!

JEMZ

TRIBE Member
Going for mine April 13th... rolled the dice twice and got 2 angels, I know the next one will be el diablo.

silver1

TRIBE Member
General question.

Does one need to be referred to a Vasectomy Clinic/Urologist by their family doctor? Or can you get the process started by trying to book an appointment directly with a clinic?

Vote_4_Pedro

TRIBE Member
General question.

Does one need to be referred to a Vasectomy Clinic/Urologist by their family doctor? Or can you get the process started by trying to book an appointment directly with a clinic?
I had to be referred from my doc to the urologist, just a money making scam! I think if you go to one of those straight up Vas clinics you are good to just make an appt - of course I would google the closest one to you and call. There is one at Yonge/St. Clair I know.

SJN

TRIBE Member
General question.

For the urology dept at TEGH the referral had to come from my family doctor. But I told him who/where I wanted to be referred to.

Vote_4_Pedro

TRIBE Member
Well, that was easy. "Strip everything off, you can keep your socks on."

That is how I started my day.

I have to say, with no exaggeration, the whole thing took less than ten minutes. The actual procedure took five. The nurse smeared Betadene (sp?) all over my groin/sack area - and that shit was cold! I told her she wasn't helping anything.

Doc came in a few mins later, juiced up a big assed needle, poked me with it a couple times for freezing, and honestly it really didn't hurt any more than a needle in the arm. Freezing was instant. He did his thing, and the only thing I could feel was a little pulling, I guess he was pulling the Vas Deferens (sp?) to get a good go at it. Snip, cauterize, titanium clips. Repeat on other side. No pain at all.

Took my T3 script to Shoppers right after, and by then I was walking a little like John Wayne. Started to feel it. Had a sammich, dropped one T3, grabbed some Heavenly Hash ice cream and plunked down on the couch to watch Weeds. Bag of frozen peas for 15 mins every hour.

I have to say, it was all relatively painless. The worst part is going to be ripping the big Elastoplast bandage off my sack. Nurse recomended the shower.

Happy to be done, was easier than I thought.

acheron

TRIBE Member
I sometimes regret not freezing a sample of my man-goo before the vasectomy and sending it off to the Svalbard Seed Bank in Norway... you know, see if I can get them to hold it there in case of A Collapse of the World Order, help repopulate the world...

SJN

TRIBE Member
Your experience with Dr V confirms mine. Easier than I expected, virtually painless, and quick recovery.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
And, as you all know, no more siblings! I am actually looking forward to it, to be honest. I'm terrified of my wife, as she now just started her period again (we are sleep training Ben with our sleep doula). The whole night sleeps = period return, evidently!!!
How is sleep training going with wee Ben?
Our Thomas is the same age (born Oct 2) we haven't done any sort of training yet. He falls asleep & we put him in his crib. He usually wakes once / night around 5:20 & I bring him into bed where I quickly nurse him back to sleep until we wake for the day around 7:30.

Sorry for the hijack, glad Dr. V was good to you!

Vote_4_Pedro

TRIBE Member
How is sleep training going with wee Ben?
Our Thomas is the same age (born Oct 2) we haven't done any sort of training yet. He falls asleep & we put him in his crib. He usually wakes once / night around 5:20 & I bring him into bed where I quickly nurse him back to sleep until we wake for the day around 7:30.

Sorry for the hijack, glad Dr. V was good to you!
PM sent.

SJN

TRIBE Member
Yeah the band-aid is about the worst of it and seeing the wisp's of smoke as the doc is cauterizing things...
No wisps of smoke during mine. I did recall dr v commenting to one of the nurses that he was using a new cautery tool that was improved in some way.

Vote_4_Pedro

TRIBE Member
No wisps of smoke during mine. I did recall dr v commenting to one of the nurses that he was using a new cautery tool that was improved in some way.
Didn't see any wisps of smoke either, but the smell.... forever burned into my brain. The smell of the inside of my satchel being burned. Good times!baconpan