• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

vague terrain 02

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
We just launched the second issue of our digital arts quarterly. This issue is dedicated to an exploration of "digital landscape" or landscape (in all it's guises) through the lens of contemporary tools & discourse.

Contributing artists include: akumu, andra mccartney, frank lemire, gavin mcmurray, greg smith, melanie kramer, michael sargent, nathan mcninch, neil wiernik, nokami, patricia rodriguez, sans soleil, sarah mooney, tim hecker, and tinkertoy.

vague terrain 02: digital landscape

Some work:

^^ infrared photography by frank lemire

^^ still from a film short by Patricia Rodriguez documenting a trip on Detroit's people mover

,g

Last edited:

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
acheron said:
That's my partner in crime, Frank Lemire... he's the one who got me into infrared photography! Coolies. We go way back. Good to see him getting published again! http://abstrakt.org
Franks work is really amazing, above and beyond the infrared angle he can really frame a shot.

You are shooting infrared as well? I think I've seen your stuff in the photo thread before.. do you have anything online?

,g

acheron

TRIBE Member
gsnuff said:
Franks work is really amazing, above and beyond the infrared angle he can really frame a shot.

You are shooting infrared as well? I think I've seen your stuff in the photo thread before.. do you have anything online?

,g
Yeah, Frank has a good eye for composition - he's a bit of a perfectionist!

http://hame.ca/blog3/infrared/gallery/ is my infrared stuff - take a look!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

gasper

TRIBE Member
Congrats on the second issue - it looks sharp, and I'm looking forward to making my way through all of the sights and sounds within.

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
Ondie said:
Any relation to this:

http://www.cmoa.org/exhibitions/archives04winspr.asp#terrain

"Terrain Vague:
Photography, Architecture and
the Post-Industrial Landscape
March 20 – June 20, 2004"
Yes and No.

Terrain Vague as a term has been kicking around since at least 1930 in theatre and French aesthetics, and then later it was grafted into photography.. if you do some digging you'll see that it's been the name of at least 15 exhibits, one record label, and one techno record since say, 1980. If you read the editorial for the second issue, I talk about the etymology of the phrase - if you are interested in where we're coming from.

<tips cap to gasper>

,g

thanks for the link acheron, I'll give'r a look.

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Great stuff. Just finished listening to the Akumu pieces.

Thanks for the post (and all the work that goes into the project)!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
funny that if someone who didn't have 3,000 posts posted this... eeryone would be screaming "spam" :p

not that i care either way.. just an observation.

i like that infrared shot!

Rajio

Well-Known TRIBEr
congradulations greg; it may be my imagination but it seems like you're receiving even more traffic with VT02 than you did with VT01 (atleast if the number of clicking through to ohmpage from vt are any indication)

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Dood, I PM'd you like a while ago about your call for artists and you didn't even read my PM.

USURPED.

musork

TRIBE Member
MoFo said:
Dood, I PM'd you like a while ago about your call for artists and you didn't even read my PM.

USURPED.

greg and I both dont have time to respond to PMs from tribe your best bet if your interested in submitting to one of our theme issues is to email
us at the journal directly submit at vague terrain dot net is probally the best addy to do so at...

musork

TRIBE Member
thanks for all the props people greg and I have worked our tails off with the project to date and have some serious plans for future issues and live showcases we have enough plans to keep us busy for the next 5 years with this project... :)