• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Vacation Rec for a week?

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I'm looking for a non resort/sun spot vacation recommendation for Mrs Federko, Little 4 Year Old Federko, and Capital F (that's me).

I've got 8-9 days to play with after Christmas.

Let me know if you have ideas

Stop Bill C-10

djfear

TRIBE Member
Belize. Lots of adventure potential, beautiful beaches, bbq, belize zoo, caves, ruins, etc. Might be a bit high on the budget and you have to fly through the states.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
I really like Jamaica
Iberostar Rose hall Suites or Royalton White sands would be my recommendations, stayed at both and both were excellent in terms of service and experience, however (maybe it's the itme of year) but the beaches tend to be a little rough

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Costa Rica,

Manuel Antonio or Tamarindo are both great beach locations offering a variety of activities, nice rental places allowing you to cook etc.

Not too expensive IMO, safe as fuck, really nice people, and great food places and funish night life if you are into that. Direct flights also offered from YYZ to San Jose (SYQ)

And both are in great locations, so that if you fly into San Jose, rent something and drive, if you dont mind round about ways of getting places !

- Arenal and area mini mountains and zip lines that are super fun.
- Monte Verde and surrounding towns

But i digress, not sure how much driving or running around you are planning on doing and what you enjoy whilst on vacations.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
I really like Jamaica
Iberostar Rose hall Suites or Royalton White sands would be my recommendations, stayed at both and both were excellent in terms of service and experience, however (maybe it's the itme of year) but the beaches tend to be a little rough

methinks he said 'non-resort ' in the initial post ;)

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
appreciate the input, keep it coming...

May make a trip to Arizona and knock off the Frank Lloyd Wright architecture in Scottsdale...

Maybe go to Sedona...

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Yeah, Sedona has some great hiking spots. Mesas and vortexes with wide open vistas. It has this weird hippie vibe to it too. I'd recommend the drive out towards Flagstaff. It's beautiful (Flagstaff not so much).

If you're renting a car, head to the Chiricahua Mountains down near the border. It's super remote, eerie and has lived long in my memory. It was a site of the Apache wars. Then stay a night in Bisbie.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Yeah, Sedona has some great hiking spots. Mesas and vortexes with wide open vistas. It has this weird hippie vibe to it too. I'd recommend the drive out towards Flagstaff. It's beautiful (Flagstaff not so much).

If you're renting a car, head to the Chiricahua Mountains down near the border. It's super remote, eerie and has lived long in my memory. It was a site of the Apache wars. Then stay a night in Bisbie.

Don't forget Winona, Kingman, Barstow, San Bernardino

If you get hip to this kind of trip
And go take that California trip
Get your kicks on Route 66

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
I assume the kids are with you. If you have never been, I'd done Sedona, Grand Canyon and Sedona.

The drive to Sedona is amazing, and depending on temp and if it's open, see if you can get to slide rock canyon.

And of course the Grand Canyon is so cool, as much as it may be a bit of an over run tourist trap.

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
Costa Rica,

Manuel Antonio or Tamarindo are both great beach locations offering a variety of activities, nice rental places allowing you to cook etc.

Not too expensive IMO, safe as fuck, really nice people, and great food places and funish night life if you are into that. Direct flights also offered from YYZ to San Jose (SYQ)

And both are in great locations, so that if you fly into San Jose, rent something and drive, if you dont mind round about ways of getting places !

- Arenal and area mini mountains and zip lines that are super fun.
- Monte Verde and surrounding towns

But i digress, not sure how much driving or running around you are planning on doing and what you enjoy whilst on vacations.

Trying to plan a trip to Costa Rica for a week (all up in the air at the mo, but fingers and toes are crossed!)
We're thinking of going to Tamarindo or somewhere in that area. Looks like Liberia is closer than San Jose, but that being said, any advice on which airport to fly into? West Jet does direct to Liberia and Air Canada Rouge direct to San Jose, from what I can see.
Any other Costa Rica advice? I just want to learn to surf!

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Tamarindo was the ' other ' beach we were considering when we planned out trip.
From what i read, it is better for learning to Surf and has better waves/surf consistently compared to Manuel Antonio.

Now that is not to say you cannot surf in MA, i did a lot of fun body surfing and just chilling on the beaches there and of course there was people offering lessons and board rentals on the beach.

We flew into San Jose, as the rental car location was there, we were meeting my wife's parents, and then Went to Arenal ( 200+ meter Zip lines with the last being almost 1km long and hitting speeds of 80+km/hr), Tabacon Resort ( geothermal resort with amazing pools and waterfalls ), Monte Verde ( Green Cloud forest with awesome sky bridge trails. ), cruised about a good area of Costa Rica to get down to Manuel Antonio, was a nice tour .

If however you are only going for a week, dont plan on driving lots of places and want a nice area with tons of stuff to do plus learn how to Surf, there is nothing wrong with planning your trip around Tamarindo.

ENJOY !

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Heading to California Middle of Jan.

Hanging out in San Jose/Silicon Valley Area with Fam and Friends for the most part.

3 site trips we are going to do.

Muir Woods Coastal Red Woods
Monteray Bay for Whale , Sea Otters and Sea Lions
Yosemite for some trail hiking and awesome winter landscape photography

Is there anything in the San Fran area we should do other than the obvious Alcatraz, GG Bridge etc.

Its been over 25 years since i was there !

Tell me things.

We will have access to a car.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
If you've never done it, do the 17 mile drive along the Monterrey peninsula/ pebble beach.

And if you have been there before, you know what I'm talking about.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Seriously, I know its not so original or will be so unique your FB feed will commend you for your adventurous experience

But the Mayan Riviera is close, inexpensive and has some of the best food in the carribean.

Love mexico!

For a one week vacation its perfect. May not be off the beaten path but fuck that, im secure in my self identity without having to prove how cool i am in my vacation choices.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Glych, any suggestions on best time to visit Costa Rica?

I've done all my google searches, weather reports, etc. But if you've been and perhaps have family there, thought?

Looking at possibly going later this year for a 10 day vacation.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
I went to Costa Rica during mid to late November 2015 and thought it was the perfect time to visit.
The rainy season has just ended but the peak season hasn't fully kicked in so the beach wasn't as busy as apparently it would have been a month later.
I was staying in Tamarindo while doing a bit of touring down the coastline towards Playa Flamingo. I loved it as it was a great place to learn to surf, but there were also a nice amount of good restaurants, nightlife, and friendly people to keep things interesting, while also having super serene opportunities to chill out. I've been craving a return to Central America since getting back. Fully recommended.