• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Using my TV as a computer monitor......?

quantumdj

TRIBE Member
Does anyone know how/where to get a device to do this, and how much it costs?

Are there any problems associated with this configuration? I'm surprised not to see anyone doing this yet.

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by quantumdj
Does anyone know how/where to get a device to do this, and how much it costs?

Are there any problems associated with this configuration? I'm surprised not to see anyone doing this yet.
most new video cards have tv out capabilities (i.e. to play games on your tv instead of looking at your monitor)

computer monitors have better resolution than televisions however

quantumdj

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Using my TV as a computer monitor......?

Originally posted by deep
computer monitors have better resolution than televisions however
yeah, I just thought of that... thanks!

With one of those cards, could I use the TV as a second monitor in a dual configuration?

deep

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Using my TV as a computer monitor......?

Originally posted by quantumdj

yeah, I just thought of that... thanks!

With one of those cards, could I use the TV as a second monitor in a dual configuration?
not sure, but it would depend on whether or not the video card supports dual displays. ati's radeon series and matrox video cards support dual displays. might want to drop that 420 guy a private message, he runs a dual display setup.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

nusty

TRIBE Member
try comondor 64 (or 65?, not sure which it is.) they were designed as both. When I was in boarding school we weren't allowed tv's so some people brought these in claiming them as computer monitors and then at night hooked up the n64 and vcr's.
they work great, I'm not sure how much they go for of if they even make them anymore but look around.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
I have no idea

What's cool though, is my friend sometimes hooks up his computer to his massive projector screen.

It's the size of his wall.

Don't ask me why he'd need it that big.. but it's still cool that he can do it.

quantumdj

TRIBE Member
^^^That is the ultimate goal, but I cant afford one of those right now.

I used to do this in grade ten: Hook up a projector in our caf, along with a 1200W pro sound system, and some yorkville par cans (stage lights) set up behind us.

We would play goldeneye on the theatre-sized screen and massive sound, with the lights (set to flash to music) going crazy whenever a gun was firing or something exploded.

That was cool. That was the only time I ever really had fun playing a video game. (not including my flight sim, but I dont use that as a game, i'm in flight training.)

All I want to do now is have a dual-screen configuration when I move away for school. I dont have the money for another monitor, so I was hoping I could use a TV as a second one.

G

Why not just buy a second monitor Dave? They're so cheap. I'm thinking about upgradeing my 17" to a 19" in the next little while....I'll let you know if I'm selling it.

I've set up my dad's projection system in my apartment before. It's lots of fun to play games on the wall.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

quantumdj

TRIBE Member
Really? If it's not too much i'll take it, but my financial situation is sort of tight because i'm saving for school.

I could use a 17" monitor. I only have a 15" one right now.

Thanks, Josh!