1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

used car help

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by kuba, Aug 28, 2003.

1. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

1/ when buying a used car do you pay GST and PST?

2/ where can u buy that book thingy on the info of the car?

3/ does www.carfax.com work in Canada?

4/ the car I want/ need has to last me 6 months. I dont want a 2-door. which would you pick for under $4000: (not necessarilY THESE cars but ones LIKE them...)

Candidate number one:
    [​IMG]
    Make : HONDA
    Model : ACCORD
    Model Detail : EXR WAGON
    Price : $3,999
    Mileage : Not Available
    Ad Code : CGWKRV
    Date: 8/28/03
    Features : 4 cyl., 5 spd., fully loaded incl. p/moonroof. $3999 cert. and e-test and warranty.

Candidate number two:
    [​IMG]
    Year: 1989
    Make: VOLKSWAGEN
    Model: GOLF
    Model Detail: WOLFSBURG
    Price: $3,500
    Mileage: 180,000 km
    Ad Type: Private
    Comment: This car is in great shape, no rust, new paint last year and has new tires, brakes, exhaust and ice cold air, auto., has 180,000 orig. km, comes cert. & e-test for $3500. Private sale. (416)737-7595. (CGXZCR)

Candidate number three:
    [​IMG]
    Year: 1990
    Make: VOLKSWAGEN
    Model: JETTA
    Model Detail:
    Price: $2,300
    Mileage: 185,000 km
    Comment: Very clean car, auto, well maint., has 92 bumpers, new tires, new timing belt, A/C is working, cert. & E-tested. 185,000 km. $2300. (416)305-4043, Toronto. (CGPXNL)

Candidate number four:
    [​IMG]
    Make : TOYOTA
    Model : COROLLA
    Price : $3,800
    Mileage : 187060
    Warranty : Yes
    Stock # : 046746
    Ad Code : CGSVJC
    Features : Manual, 4 dr., 4 cyl. , Gas, Gold exterior, Beige interior, Station Wagon, Air Conditioning, AM-FM Stereo, Cassette, Tilt Wheel, Driver Air Bag

OR SHOULD I CASH IN THE RSPS AND BUY THE DREAM CAR OF MY LIFE, MY ETERNITY,....

best car ever

[​IMG]

Year: 1988
    Make: BMW
    Model: M3
    Model Detail: EVO 2
    Price: $24,900
    Mileage: ------- km
    Ad Type: Dealer

$24,900
    Comment: Original evolution 2 w 220 HP. Just arrived from Germany. Car #130 out of 500 world wide. Monocco blue on 2 tone int. Close ratio trans. "Dogleg transmission". Mint! Mint! Mint! Call for more information. $24,900. V.L.S. AUTO SALES (416)561-9372 (CGWJZV)

option two: dream car number 2:

[​IMG]

Year: 1997
    Make: VOLVO
    Model: 850
    Model Detail: T5 WAGON
    Price: $17,900
    Mileage: 163,000 km
    SOLID & SAFE
    Comment: Great shape, grey Volvo wagon, extra turbo, new rims, low profile tires, leather, cruise, 4 air bags, Premium sound system, rear cargo safety cage, roof rack, & 4 extra all season tires & rims, pwr. seats, 163,000 km. $17,900 or b.o. (416)948-6132. (CGXZDK)

*(this aint happening til I can afford it)*

2. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

Dude. You gotta go for a wagon. *bomp bomp*

3. dj Red Turtle

dj Red Turtle TRIBE Promoter

Go for the Corolla Wagon. Probably the most reliable and highest resale of the bunch. Plus you can fit 10 of your closest friends in that thing.

4. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

If your trying to go on the cheap stay away from german cars!!!! I've owned a couple and they are expensive to maintain and keep on the road. For that price range I would also suggest staying away from Volvo (although also a favorite of mine) as they tend to be about as expensive as they can get to fix and maintain.

You might want to keep an Eye out for Toyota Corrolas they're dirt cheap and you can run them for years!!!

5. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

The reason I want a wagon is because if Im buying a shitbox, it might as well be one that can stuff a lot of shit in it.

Next year the goal is to get the mini or maybe wrx.

FUck that- not next year, more like in 3 years.

6. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

I just re-read "The reason I want a wagon is because if Im buying a shitbox, it might as well be one that can stuff a lot of shit in it." Im quite assertive. :p

7. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

Ford taurus station wagons are dime a dozen and damn cheap. I was actually looking at one for a winter beater along with a couple of minivans. i want something that I can through my board into and go to the hills.

Think about a minivan! they're dirt cheap, they're dirt cheap to insure and half the time they're sold below bokk value because of interior damage caused by kids and were maintined well and never driven to rough!

8. Funzo

Funzo TRIBE Member

Yeah the V-dubs and the BMW will be expensive to fix as all the parts need to be imported. I had a '91 Accord it treated me well. In the 4 years I had it, never had to fix anything on it. Just oil changes and breaks. It got good gas mileage too.

That's really all I can offer you.

9. Funzo

Funzo TRIBE Member

I just re-read the first part, my Accord wasn't the wagon, so i'm no help

10. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

1. You only pay PST when buying a used car privately. You will pay both PST and GST if you buy a used car (or any car for that matter) from a dealership.

2. What do you mean by book thingy? A user manual? Or a repair manual? Or wait, you probably mean the Used Vehicle Information Package for a specific car, right? If that is the case, just go to one of the kiosks in the mall and you can print one out if you have the VIN.

3. Carfax is only for US vehicles, so unless you are importing a car from the US, it won't be of any use.

4. Honestly, a Honda Accord, or Honda Civic will be great for what you need, because they are usualluy in half decent shape, and if they do need repairs, the parts are relatively cheap. Also, since they are such common cars, there are plenty of mechanics with experience on them.

Cheers ... Ian :)

11. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

Take the Bimmer!

12. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

He is most likely buying this car just to get through the winter, since he wants to buy it soon, and only wants it for six months. A 15 year old M3 is not exactly the best "winter beater".

Personally, the only way I would buy an old M3 like that is to restore it to mint condition. Using it as a daily driver will get extremely expensive to keep up with the maintenance and repair payments.

So my point is, the solution is to buy a new one. ;) j/k

Cheers ... Ian :)

13. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

my solution is to buy a E36 M3 or 3-series and then work on it.

The e30 M3 (pictured above) is pound for pound an excellent sports car but it lacks a 50/50 weight distribution. Any e36 3 series has that- thus it aint a bad alternative.

This is much much longer down the road mind you...

14. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

This is also an amazing ride...

Year: 1988
    Make: BMW
    Model: M5
    Model Detail:
    Price: $8,900
    Mileage: ------- km
    Ad Type: Dealer

$8900 M5
    Comment: Black on black with every possible option. Lots of new parts, includes rebuild engine. $8900. V.L.S. AUTO SALES (416)561-9372 (CGWHJC)

[​IMG]