• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

#$%& USB sound cards!

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
I picked up an Audigy 2 NX external sound card over the holidays, but I've had nothing but frustration with it. This is the second one I've tried (I had and returned an Extigy card already) and it sounds like crap crap crap. There's clicks and pops in the audio and recording sounds worse.

Has anybody ever used one of these things before and and problems?

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
I don't know much about that card, what do you mean by external?

Does it have a PCI card with and external interface?

Does it have latency settings?
Perhaps you need to adjust it?

I have an RME card.
It is killer!

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

deep

TRIBE Member
the sound card is external to the computer, connects via usb. has the advantage of isolating the soundcardy goodness from potential interference inside the comp (which usually manifests itself as an audible buzzing noise)

do you have the digipad sensei? I've heard that's a nice card.

dr. funk in the junk, what do you need out of your soundcard? imho, the only reason to go with creative's offerings is if you're a hardcore gamer, they've got gaming audio locked down...but for music playback, music authoring, dvd's etc. there are much better out there...

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
a line input is essential. I'm looking for something that I can record my vinyl to my hard drive as mp3 or wav.

I think the problem is (and I'm not computer wiz so I may be wrong) is that there's a data bottle neck somewhere between my harddrive and the sound card that's causing the audio to stutter. I'm worried that another sound card will just end up doing the same thing.

deep

TRIBE Member
erm, yeah usb soundcards do eat a bit more processor power but if you've got a fairly current system it shouldn't be an issue

it's more probably the fact that soundblaster cards are crap

you'll get better recording quality out of an m-audio audiophile 2496...has rca connectors

if you want to go usb there's a couple options too (audiophile usb, sonica theater)

m-audio's revolution will probably have a minijack line in but will still be better quality than soundblasters

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

beaker

TRIBE Member
there was some nerdy discussion in the producer's forum as to why usb isn't so good for audio. but try increasing your buffer size to eliminate the clicking and popping (this will result in increased latency).

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by beaker
there was some nerdy discussion in the producer's forum as to why usb isn't so good for audio. but try increasing your buffer size to eliminate the clicking and popping (this will result in increased latency).
How do you do that?

AVE

TRIBE Member
that Sonica sounds like a pretty good deal.

Do the headphones and/or speakers just plug into the analog line out? Is it a regular sized headphone jack?

i may pick this up..

deep

TRIBE Member
Yeah, you can plug headphones / speakers into the analog line out. I use the sonica as a DAC for my headphone amp...so I run a small mini-mini cable into my headphone amp, into which I plug in my headphones

exactly what I need it to do, nothing more...I have a turtle beach santa cruz in my system as well for my speakers and general audio purposes

Mike Richards

TRIBE Member
Edirol UA-1X if your looking for something inexpensive for gaming and regular surfing/ music playback shit.

I am pretty sure it runs off generic windows drivers as well so it's just plug it in follow the wizard!

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
Whaa happened? I'm not good with these types of things. Help me!! Please!!!
Your sound card should have some sort of software with it.
It may be in the start menu, it may be in the control panel.

There should be a setting called latency, or buffer.

Try increasing the number until the popping goes away.
Try 100 for example.

Now keep in mind, increasing the latency will effect things like your VST's in Cubase.

When you hit a note on a keyboard, it will take longer to hear the sound.

beaker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SENSEi
Your sound card should have some sort of software with it.
It may be in the start menu, it may be in the control panel.

There should be a setting called latency, or buffer.

Try increasing the number until the popping goes away.

yup and your buffer size is probably expressed in samples, so look for that.