• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

US teen 'discovers own kidnap'

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
US teen 'discovers own kidnap'

Police in California have arrested a Canadian woman after her teenage son discovered from a website that he was allegedly abducted as a child.

The boy may have looked up his name out of curiosity
Police in California have arrested a Canadian woman after her teenage son discovered from a website that he was allegedly abducted as a child.
Orey Steinmann, 17, told a teacher at his Los Angeles area school he had found his picture while browsing on a Canadian missing child website.

The teacher called the authorities, who arrested his mother for kidnapping.

She is alleged to have abducted her son from Canada 14 years ago after losing a custody battle with his father.

Gisele Marie Johnson - also known as Gisele Marie Goudreault - from Alberta, Canada, reportedly fled to Mexico before resurfacing on the US west coast with her son.

She is being held without bail until the Canadian authorities can extradite her on child abduction charges, for which she could face up to 10 years in prison.

Local shock

Both mother and son appear to have led unassuming lives in their California home.

I'm sure that the kid did not know he was opening up a can of worms... He loved his mother and she loved him

Neighbour Rina Rio
Orey attended school and worked in a local fish emporium, while Ms Johnson worked for the Los Angeles Unified School District and also cleaned homes for extra funds, the Associated Press news agency reported.

It is not clear how Orey came across his name on the Alberta Child Find website, but some reports suggested he had typed his name into the popular search engine Google out of curiosity.

Neighbours said it was no secret that Orey had no contact with his father, but expressed shock at Ms Johnson's arrest.

"I was absolutely shocked and devastated to hear something like this and then - most of all - to know that he discovered it himself," neighbour Rina Rio told the French AFP news agency.

"I'm sure the kid didn't know he was opening up a can of worms. He loved his mother and she loved him."

Father's concern

The teenager is currently in a foster home. It is thought he may be returned to Canada to his father, Rodney Steinmann, who retains legal custody.

Mr Steinmann told AP he was anxious to re-establish contact with his son.

"There is a whole family here [in Canada] that has always cared for him," he said.

"He has got cousins, aunts and uncles and we would like to open the line of communication and start talking."

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I read this in the paper. Wow. That must be quite a shock. The fact the teen is almost a legal adult and has never know his father. I never knew my dad and I could only imagine what it would be like to gain a whole other side of family. And the mother has probably bad talked the father the kids whole life.

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
that could be one view or she might not have talked about him ata ll leading the kid to believe he had no father. There are so many possibilities to this, but the fact of the matter is is that he has 14 yrs missing from h is life, and now he may be so resentful who knows if he'll ever get that back?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

starr

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by lucky1
And the mother has probably bad talked the father the kids whole life.
why?
14 years ago was 1990
the world was a different place then, perhaps the father wasn't a good guy....who knows

not you and not me, that's for sure

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by starr
why?
14 years ago was 1990
the world was a different place then, perhaps the father wasn't a good guy....who knows

not you and not me, that's for sure
I don't see why he would have been a bad father if the mother was the one who lost the custodiy in the first place?

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I don't get it.

So you're telling me the mother got away with the kidnapping for 14 years, and yet was still living with her real name?

If the child had the same name he was abducted with, how hard would it have been to find him?
If his name was changed, then how did he know what his real name was?

thom100

TRIBE Member
why?
14 years ago was 1990

the world was a different place in 1990?

starr

TRIBE Member
yes you are right, the justice system runs perfectly in every single case

let me re-iterate
14 years ago was a long long time ago

who knows what the circumstances were?
not saying the father was not fit, apparently the court decided the mother was...why? we don't know.

point is: we don't know, so why don't we stop slandering some woman that we don't know

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

mingster

TRIBE Member
Re: I don't get it.

Originally posted by I_bRAD
So you're telling me the mother got away with the kidnapping for 14 years, and yet was still living with her real name?
Originally posted by opium_souldjah
Gisele Marie Johnson - also known as Gisele Marie Goudreault -

lucky1

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by opium_souldjah
I don't see why he would have been a bad father if the mother was the one who lost the custodiy in the first place?
Yeah totally. If the father won custody, that is not the norm so he must be a good guy. If he's good in the courts eye that's good enough for me.

thom100

TRIBE Member
yes you are right, the justice system runs perfectly in every single case

let me re-iterate
14 years ago was a long long time ago

who knows what the circumstances were?
not saying the father was not fit, apparently the court decided the mother was...why? we don't know.

point is: we don't know, so why don't we stop slandering some woman that we don't know
first off 14 years , really is too long . Let me in on some major changes in society in the last 14 years?

point is, there was a court case, and the father won. End of story.

IgStar

TRIBE Member
shit man.

that must have been a total shocker! and now he is in foster home. as if he hasn't got the shaft enough! I hope he gets to meet his family here as I am sure they are elated to find out he OK.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
the legal system DOES fuck up sometimes. who KNOWS why this woman fled.

all i know is that this kid is really getting fucked over right now.

IgStar

TRIBE Member
^^ yes.

the kid. I feel really bad for him.
Talk about your world taking you for a ride and half.
without consent.

starr

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by thom100
first off 14 years , really is too long . Let me in on some major changes in society in the last 14 years?

point is, there was a court case, and the father won. End of story.
i wish my world were as black and white as yours

and if you can't think of any major changes in the world in 14 years nothing i say is going to convince you

AlyG

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by squirrely
all i know is that this kid is really getting fucked over right now.
Exactly! Let's get back to the main point of the story. This kid got seriously fucked over and the worst is still ahead of him. Can you imagine what he must be feeling?

<---I can't.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: I don't get it.

Originally posted by mingster
MISSING INFORMATION
Well sure, if you're gonna READ the article ;)

I guess that'll teach mom to leave her passport laying around.

starr

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AlyG
Exactly! Let's get back to the main point of the story. This kid got seriously fucked over and the worst is still ahead of him. Can you imagine what he must be feeling?

<---I can't.
agreed

thom100

TRIBE Member

and if you can't think of any major changes in the world in 14 years nothing i say is going to convince you

Im not trying to be an ass, Im just really curious, what in your opinion is different about the world today in 2004, in comparison to 1990. Beside the obvious pop culture and the net.

IgStar

TRIBE Member
let's just keep this thread on the real issue here.

THE KID - TEENAGER, whatever he is now.
nuff bickering.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
agreed
i think you made a good point though, starr. i think that people who assume that the father is "the good guy" in this situation aren't thinking realistically.

i think it's an interesting debate, actually, cuz i never thought i would hear someone say "point is, there was a court case, and the father won. End of story" or "If he's good in the courts eye that's good enough for me."

*shudder*

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
I worry about hte human race when I see evidence of the instinct to judge (the mother) coming before the instinct for compassion (for the son.)

Anyway, I love this: "some reports suggested he had typed his name into the popular search engine Google out of curiosity."

It till sounds so removed from the google phenomenon, even though googling yourself is something pretty much everyone does these days. Christ, I've googled most of my friends names too, just, as they say, out of curiosity. And there's been a bunch of "Google image search your name/Tribe handle" threads.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories