• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

US Residents having surgery in Canada?

me

TRIBE Member
Hi Tribers,
A friend who is a US Resident tore his ACL this week and was wondering if there were places "up here" which could perform the surgery to repair and the potential costs involved?
He tore his other ACL 2 years ago and it was a huge hassle and cost him thousands of dollars to have it done in the US. ie. No insurance.
If anybody has information regarding this type of situation or could provide any contact info it would be appreciated. Thanks.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
the potential cost involved would be similar to US rates if he were to pay. However I would contact a orthopedic surgeon directly to ask or any hospital.

Best estimate $8k t-15k

Persephone

TRIBE Member
hahaha...so he wants to come up to pay Canadian healthcare rates and bypass our wait lists?

You do realise that this is a public healthcare system, yes?

Anyways, there may be a few private clinics out there, but they will be few and far between. This is a highly contentious issue. A quick Google search turned up these guys, you might find a few more, particularly operating out of Alberta:

Cambie Surgery Centre - Vancouver, BC, Canada

lucky1

TRIBE Member
is he living in Canada or the US? If he is living here, I'm sure there are places that will let him pay for the surgery out of pocket, don't think it will be cheap though.

I don't think this is that uncommon, think of people who come here for school, and tourists who come and then don't have insurance and get sick while visiting

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

acheron

TRIBE Member
your friend might do better to fly to india and get it done there. Even including the cost of the flight you can save thousands on routine procedures.

edit: me and will on the same page

miguel

TRIBE Member
Recommend getting it done in latin america. he'll be able to find very good surgeons and the latest equipment... Even with the plane ticket, it should cost significantly less.

Sucks that he doesn't have insurance.

me

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the tips. He's a US resident living in Rochester. Trying to explore different cost options to see if it might be less expensive here versus back home? Overseas has been considered but wondered if there might be any cost benefit by having the procedure done in Canada which is obviously much closer.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

acheron

TRIBE Member
Indeed but I highly doubt it'll be favourable... Remember we generally pay more for stuff up here than in the US