1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

US Immigration question for a Visitor

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Northernsoul, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Northernsoul

Northernsoul TRIBE Member

I am currently in Canada and have been for the past four months! I have yet to visit the States. Next weekend, I am registered to attend a trade show with My Canadian girlfriend and business partner in Las Vegas. The show is an exhibition and for the purpose of scouting manufacturing etc. I am traveling on a British passport as a British citizen.

I have read some intimidating horror stories about entry into the States and am uncertain as to portray myself entering as a visitor for our one week stay or to be straight up and emphasise that we are there for the trade show. We have had our stock (garment for exhibiting) pre shipped. We both have one week return tickets from Las Vegas to Toronto; confirmation of our hotel etc, no criminal records, of clean appearance etc. is there any other documentation I should bring?

I am just looking for suggestions and advice on the above on what I should declare when entering. I have been told to avoid declaring true purpose as it may imply I am working. The secondary questioning at CBP sounds a bit of an ordeal and I am a seasoned traveler. To attend the show was a substantial investment and to be turned away would be a sting. No where on the application did it indicate special visa requirements etc. If anyone has any experience with trade shows state side or traveling South of the border in general and experiences with port of entry officials, I could do with some pointers! Some mates, a few weeks ago were denied entry as they has guitars and were playing a friends party in New York, they were sent to secondary and then turned around to Canada.

Thanks.

2. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

NEVER EVER EVER offer information unless asked

3. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

Don't offer info unless asked but always be 100% honest and straightforward... unless you are carrying drugs or weapons.

4. Rage

Rage TRIBE Member

5. Northernsoul

Northernsoul TRIBE Member

Even if the Traveller is in possession of an individual machine readable passport? Under the visa waiver program?

6. miguel

miguel TRIBE Member

There's nothing wrong with you being British and saying you are going to a trade show. Foreigners attend trade shows in vegas all the time.

7. stargurl*

stargurl* TRIBE Member

If you're flying, you'll need the electronic authorization, even with the new machine readable and biometric passports.

When we were visiting my family in Canada last month, we went to the states twice (land crossing - no electronic authorization required). My brother and I were traveling on Canadian passports, my husband on a Belgian passport.

The questioning wasn't a big deal, just basic questions about where we were going, how long we were staying, how we knew each other, that kind of thing. It did take a little while, but I'm not sure if the process is different at the airport. They took digital fingerprints and a photo of my husband as well. We had to pay $6 US for the visa waiver. They'll staple it in your passport - don't forget to give it back when you leave the US or you can have problems in the future.

The second crossing was stupidly easy because we'd kept the I94 in case we went to the states more than once. No secondary questioning, took no longer than crossing with Canadian passports.