• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

US Blames Canada for mad cow

exheres

TRIBE Member
no cows for you.

funny thing i saw yesterday on sympatico.ca homepage the biggest article was on grilling the perfect burger.

i think veggi burgers by the way are as good in taste as meat burgers. try the Licks on if you're looking for an example of the potential of veggi meat substitutes.

but then again if ya feel you need to eat meat. by all means, do you playboy!

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
^^^ End industrial farming.
The bigger reason to become a vegitarian.
I agree that industrial farming should fuck right off.... but I don't think that would for sure solve the problem.

The problem is that BSE... which I beleive is just a nasty little protein that likes to hang out in your nervous system, is getting passed around through the food chain.

Once in a while, a cow is gonna get this nasty disease. It just happens sometimes. But farmers are making it worse by feeding cows the remains of other cows.... then the problem starts to spiral out of control.

BSE is just one problem that crops up when you turn a herbivore into a cannibal.

What's interesting to me is that there exists a very close relative of Mad Cow that's pretty much exclusive to humans. Certain Southern Pacific cultures that practice cannibalism where almost decimated when it cropped up amongst them. The solution was a no brainer. Western anthropoligists went over and said "Hey! Stop that!". Nobody suggested that they put an ear tag on everyone, do DNA tests, etc, etc...

Why isn't THAT solution part of the dialogue?

Maybe nobody wants to piss off the industrial famers? Maybe ending industrial farming would solve the problem as you suggested. But wouldn't it be more prudent in the short term just to say "Hey! Stop that!"?

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OTIS
^^^ End industrial farming.
The bigger reason to become a vegitarian.
I completely agree!!!!

If nothing else limit the density, there should never be a province with more catlle than people, we're asking for trouble when we farm at such high density.

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much
I completely agree!!!!

If nothing else limit the density, there should never be a province with more catlle than people, we're asking for trouble when we farm at such high density.
I disagree that BSE can be linked to density. Why do you think that?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Agatka8

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by 416

Once in a while, a cow is gonna get this nasty disease. It just happens sometimes. But farmers are making it worse by feeding cows the remains of other cows.... then the problem starts to spiral out of control.

BSE is just one problem that crops up when you turn a herbivore into a cannibal.
Why is this done here in Canada?
Is this practiced all around the world... or just in north America?

Doesn't this go agianst our instincts?

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by 416
So just ignore it? Like they did in Britain?
Nevermind you missed my over simpliafication and thus the humor. Carry own with your intellectual conversation about moocoo's

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Agatka8
Why is this done here in Canada?
Is this practiced all around the world... or just in north America?

BSE first got out of control in humans in Britain.

I don't know too much about what the rest of Europe does. Mostly because I could give a shit about those countries.... they really only take an interest in this country when it's time for us to fight a war for them... but I digress...

I do know that France and some other cheese eating countries got all shitty about our use of hormones and steroids in cows a while back... they where blocking our imports.... and by we I mean the UK, Canada and the states. Then their was this WTO thinger about it, and we where saying that they wanna block the beef for economic interests only because there's no proof that pumping your food full of all sorts of weird shit causes a problem (!).... blah blah blah...

So ya... what I'm saying is that I don't really know.... and the reason I don't know is that I haven't eaten that shit for over a decade... AND... I'm quite smug about it if you haven't noticed.

Doesn't this go agianst our instincts?
I'm pretty sure doing stupid shit is instinctual for most humans.... well... meat eating humans anyway.

Agatka8

TRIBE Member
I know that BSE first started in Britain... but was it determined at that point already that the cause of the spread of this disease was the fact they were feeding their cows, the remains of other cows?

I'm just wondering why are cows being fed dead cows... not grass and grains... the kind of foods that are natural to for them to eat.

Whether the cow is kept for milk or meat... it shouldn't be all screwed up for the purpose of mass consumption.

I'd pay more for a healthy happy cow... that actually gets to see the sun and eat fresh grass.

TRIBE Member
I know that BSE first started in Britain... but was it determined at that point already that the cause of the spread of this disease was the fact they were feeding their cows, the remains of other cows?
Ya. No one really knows the origin, or even the exact mechanisms of the disease, but cannibalism in cows is a good way to make sure a lot of cows get it.... and that humans get exposed to enuff of it to cause a problem (again, example = Britain).

I'm just wondering why are cows being fed dead cows... not grass and grains... the kind of foods that are natural to for them to eat.
Money probably. Slaughter house by-product is probably fairly cheap, and it's also a good source of fat and protein... which is what you wanna get up in your cow to get it to grow nice and big.

I agree, just give those fuckers some grass.... by the way, grains are no good for cows. Feeding cows grain is probably as dangerous, although not as news worthy, as forcing them to be cannibals.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member

They shouldn't, actually its not allowed anymore but both cows that have been found in North America were older and believed to have been infected before the ban took place.

Cows can only be used if they are killed in an inspected plant. No tag and the animal can't go into our food chain. So if a cow dies on the farm your stuck with two tonnes of meat that can't go anywhere. Its expensive and difficult to move and incinerate so the lazy sollution (cut it up and feed it to what ever will eat it) is generally used.

I grew up on an industrial chicken farm, 1/4 million chicken per year divided into 6 crops, 42 day growth cycle 14 days to clean and disinfect the barn between crops. There are very good laws for how the business is supposed to be done, for instance you must sprey the barn between each crop with a pesticide. Problem is when its minus 20 outside your pesticide freezes up, so in winter many farms buy the chemicals (they do check records) and than just spill them over a peace of gravel on there driveway because they aren't going to be able to sprey them anyway.

We had an incinerator for dead chickens, as the law required. But I'd say only %50 of the dead animals ever went in it. For the most part they were either open pit burned or they were allowed to decompose when spread on the fields with the rest of the shit. Its deffinately against the law!! but it becomes common practice because of laziness and practicality. The $200 in oil it takes to fire up the ovens is nothing in the grand scheme of things, but when you have $3 worth of chicken to burn its very tempting to simply put $0.25 worth of gas on them and open pit burn them.

Many beef farmers make cows disappear in ways that they shouldn't!! Pig farmers are even worse!!

Agatka8

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by man_slut
Only support farms that raise free range animals and use natural feed. I even buy organic free range eggs.
yes... I do do this.
It's worth every penny!

I buy organic food where ever it's available.
I actually call the farms who produce the milk and eggs and ask questions about how their animals are taken care of.

I won't support farms that move away from nature too much.

Food produced by free range animals tastes much better.
...and I have a piece of mind that the animal actually saw the sun like it's suppose to.

Agatka8

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much

Many beef farmers make cows disappear in ways that they shouldn't!! Pig farmers are even worse!!
Oh jeese Ditto... you don't understand how much I love bacon!

I just try to buy organic as much as I can... and hope this will be an incentive to farmers to improve their animal farming techniques.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Adam

TRIBE Member
Just to be a bastard, there are no regulations in the use of the word "organic", so that alone isn't a guarantee of anything.

Also, "Free Range" only means that an animal has the opportunity to go outside, but it says nothing about animals being overcrowded into large areas and never seeing daylight.

Mike Richards

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Adam
Just to be a bastard, there are no regulations in the use of the word "organic", so that alone isn't a guarantee of anything.

Also, "Free Range" only means that an animal has the opportunity to go outside, but it says nothing about animals being overcrowded into large areas and never seeing daylight.
That's funny cause it's like McDonald's naming their hamburger patties '100% Beef TM'

It doesn't mean they're 100% beef tho

man_slut

TRIBE Member
^^^^^^ This is true. That is why you need to research different farms. I'm picky with what I put into my body. There are independant organizations that will determine if food is organic. Sort of like Kosher food.

Incrimin8

TRIBE Member
This is disturbing...I like steak way too much to let it get to me though.

I usually get my beef (ie steaks, roast etc. ) from my uncle. He has a few (20-30) beef cattle - free range- on a farm south of Belleville. Anyone want some! If you like you can even come over and have your pick of the herd...we'll slaughter it right there for ya!!

Old School style!! No stinking factories and assembly lines here folks!

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Incrimin8
This is disturbing...I like steak way too much to let it get to me though.

I usually get my beef (ie steaks, roast etc. ) from my uncle. He has a few (20-30) beef cattle - free range- on a farm south of Belleville. Anyone want some! If you like you can even come over and have your pick of the herd...we'll slaughter it right there for ya!!

Old School style!! No stinking factories and assembly lines here folks!
Shawna and I may be interested.