• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Upgrading MKII's to MK5's: Is it worth it?

--[Zirca]--

TRIBE Promoter
I have an opportunity to sell my MKII's and upgrade to MK5's for around $300 bucks. I'm trying to determine whether or not it is worth the time, money, etc.

My current decks are 4 years old, but in perfect working order. I do like the idea of having "no click" at 0 and and increased pitch range at a click of a button. Is it worth the $300??? I'm not sure. Opinions much appreciated.

Thanks!
Dan

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
If it doesn't have the 0 click it's well worth the upgrade.

After owning m3d's for a while, I would never buy mk2's again.

pr0nstar :D

marcinm

TRIBE Member
hey man!

they new mk5's sure are pretty, but not a big improvement... still basically the same thing... now if you could upgrade to pdx 2000's for $300 DO IT!

or maybe the Numark TTX's.. those things are IMHO the fastest tables out there.. and LOADED with options... mk5's are dinosaurs by comparison :D

marcinm

TRIBE Member
blue led's... ooooh.. and the option of going from +/- 8 to +/-16 i believe.. i don't think they even stuck a faster motor in the sucker lol

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by marcinm
or maybe the Numark TTX's.. those things are IMHO the fastest tables out there.. and LOADED with options... mk5's are dinosaurs by comparison :D
YAWN.
Go ahead throw your money away.

The best reason to only buy 1200's is that when you're done with them, you will get most of your money back, if not more.

marcinm

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SENSEi
YAWN.
Go ahead throw your money away.

The best reason to only buy 1200's is that when you're done with them, you will get most of your money back, if not more.
I'm pretty sure you'll get most of your money back from selling your PDX 2000's too... and let's not even talk about the PDX 8000's which are just incredible :)

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by marcinm
I'm pretty sure you'll get most of your money back from selling your PDX 2000's too... and let's not even talk about the PDX 8000's which are just incredible :)
Time will tell.
Tell that to anyone trying to sell used Gemenis and Numarks.
:p

djdeposit

TRIBE Member
I have M3D's and they are dope....ive tryed mixing with pdx'2000's and the pitch controll is all fucked.......its hard to match beats with.......scratching is bad ass but the mixing is hard if your used to the controlls on the 1200's

As far as the +-16% controll on the mk5s are concerned......is it twice as sensitive? anyone own these things?

what im trying to say is ....if the shift has the same range of motion(distance)......then the pitch controlll has to be twice as sensitive.......to go from from +-8% to 16

if this is true then it can cause your mixing to be a little harder......

if they still use the same features to controll the platters oscillator(quartz crystal), but just increase the mechanicall range of motion for the pitch controll.....then thats bad ass

Personally I would make the trade as long as pitch sensitivity remains the same. The new decks are dope. They have a new facelift.

As far as Im concerned .....mixing most material with a pitch controll more/less then 8% ( i havn't tried 16) .... sounds like shit.

therefore....it really is unecesssary to have 50%+ pitch controll......unless your able to bust some juggles like qbert or MMM

peace chris

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

djdeposit

TRIBE Member
oh and another thing.....although Qbert is alway sporting Vestax tables in all the ad's........i've been to his live preformances.

The man uses 1200's.

Vestax has made some major contributions to the turntablist industry......but they should stick to mixers.....the vynil presser is dope too but way too expensive.

marcinm

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by djdeposit
the vynil presser is dope too but way too expensive.
agreed :D.. the vinyl presser is dope, and if they sold the blanks for say like ummm.. 50 cents each i'd buy it and i'd have a beast of a vinyl collection... lol

but no way.. i liked the pdx 2000's better... and i've also mixed on Stantons and they're really nice too :)

marcinm

TRIBE Member
from what i know, it works out to something like 7 bucks a plate... the savings aren't exactly huge.. and you miss out on cool looking vinyls.. with nice covers.. you just get ghetto ass pressings of stuff you ripped off of cd :p

djdeposit

TRIBE Member
what!!:eek: 7$'s a plate.....plus the 10,000$ you spend for the unit.......that ridiculous...........

should just go and buy Final Scratch.

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by djdeposit
what!!:eek: 7$'s a plate.....plus the 10,000$ you spend for the unit.......that ridiculous...........

should just go and buy Final Scratch.
It is difficult to release your own tracks using Final Scratch. ;) The point of the vinyl cutter is not to copy music onto vinyl. It is aminly designed for a record label who wants to send out say a couple dozen promo copies of records before they go to press.

Cheers ... Ian :)