• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

updates on the brain-computer interface

deep

TRIBE Member
SAN FRANCISCO -- Lots of people wish they could jack their brain directly to their computer and toss out those annoying keyboards and joysticks -- especially people who can't use keyboards or joysticks.

Five quadriplegic patients might be months away from testing a brain-computer interface created by Cyberkinetics, a privately held company in Foxboro, Massachusetts. The company's system, called BrainGate, could help patients with no mobility to control a computer, a robot or eventually their own rewired muscles, using only their thoughts. If the trials go well, a product could be on the market by 2007.
rest of the article :

http://www.wired.com/news/medtech/0,1286,61889,00.html?tw=wn_story_top5

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Great, so now Stephen Hawking will be able to pull his pud by himself?

<robotic voice>oh it feeels good don't stop oh I feel good oh oh oh</robotic voice>

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep's big-ass brain article
Through the 100 prongs, researchers can "listen" to 50 to 150 neurons at once,

Well, since we're all gonna laugh at numbers like this in about 10-20 years, I'll start now:

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

HA!

AHAAAH

Heh.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Posted by deep-a-licious
"Once you can control a computer, there are technologies out there to do everything else," Surgenor said. "It turns out, with a joystick and a few buttons, you can do incredible things."
Man, I bet Dr. Surgenor had to fire on all neurons (aha get it???) in order to dumb down the science enough for it to be quotable.

deep

TRIBE Member
I remember reading an article about this kinda thing a couple years back...basically they had gone ahead and used a willing participant who was involved with the company as a test subject, and the author described it as pretty horrific how primitive and unpredictable things were...you really had to applaud the fact the subject was basically willing to endure seizures so that people could learn from the experience and perhaps create a workable solution from his sacrifices

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
they need to start experimenting on the homeless. we'd be much further ahead as a society if we put electrobes into joe listerine.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

deep

TRIBE Member
I'd love to see the kind of art, video and music produced when there is zero lag between creative impulse and tangible manifestation , as permitted by a more seamless interface between mind and machine

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
I'd love to see the kind of art, video and music produced when there is zero lag between creative impulse and tangible manifestation , as permitted by a more seamless interface between mind and machine

PHEER.

Syntax Error

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by deep
lazy