• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

UNITED 93 - the movie

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
this is not a thread about politrix, this is a thread about the movie. there are a gazillion 9/11 threads in the politics forum so please use those if you feel the need to cut 'n' paste articles about 9/11 conspiracies, the evils of superpower america, et al.

the movie is getting incredibly good reviews:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/united_93/

but i'm wondering if it's because critics are afraid to badmouth the flick or criticize in any way the telling of the story.

have any of you advance screening types actually seen this movie yet?

acheron

TRIBE Member
hey maybe that's the spin Snakes on a Plane is going to take - it was Flight 93 and the snakes brought it down after teaming up with the Samuel Jackson to fight the terrists.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
i have to admit, i probably rolled my eyes and groaned when i first saw the preview for this film at the theatre, and the statue of liberty movie poster, but i haven't seen such stellar reviews since SCHINDLER'S LIST.

are you mockers just mocking the film because it's a story about americans and you think liking the film is in some way an approval of all things american?

is there no room for appreciating this story without being labelled a sheep who cannot distinguish propoganda from truth?

i would love to hear a review from someone who has actually seen the movie.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

junglisthead

TRIBE Member
ill go see it, but the fact remains, there is no real strong conclusive evidence to support the theory that a bunch of guys fought for control of the plane and were acting as great american heros

two realistic options to what occured on flight 93

one

it was shot down by the airforce

two

if they did try to rally, the terrorists immediately slammed it into the ground, or they set of an explosive device they had smuggled on board

hell, it would have probably been a better movie had they rolled with the conspiracy concept of the plane actually landing in cleveland and a drone plane taking its place

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Klubmasta Will said:
i have to admit, i probably rolled my eyes and groaned when i first saw the preview for this film at the theatre, and the statue of liberty movie poster, but i haven't seen such stellar reviews since SCHINDLER'S LIST.
I thought Schindler's List was a asethetically immaculate piece of fucking shit.

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
Klubmasta Will said:
It is kind of bland. I watched it last week. The film really tiptoes around offending anybody although there are repeated suggestions as to how unprepared the military was and that "we can't get a hold of the president." Todd Beamer was not played by Bruce Willis and the cast were all unknowns.. there were some pretty touching moments based off transcripts of cellphone conversations between passengers and family/authorities, but the movie was still pretty flat. Furthermore it was directed by Paul Greengrass who is no stranger to quality cinematographers and despite this the movie had a "made for television" quality to it. I listend to Ebert & Roeper's glowing review of this film and I was wondering if I saw the same movie as them.

It's not flag waving, it's certainly not Oliver Stone a la JFK, it's not much of anything really.. just an attempt to document the official story of what happened. I wouldn't pay to see this movie.

,g

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
junglisthead said:
ill go see it, but the fact remains, there is no real strong conclusive evidence to support the theory that a bunch of guys fought for control of the plane and were acting as great american heros
Didn't the transcript recently get released and it turns out the hijackers crashed it to the ground? I try not to dig into shit too deeply because all the conspiracy theories are just too much for me to bear.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Klubmasta Will said:

are you mockers just mocking the film because it's a story about americans and you think liking the film is in some way an approval of all things american?

is there no room for appreciating this story without being labelled a sheep who cannot distinguish propoganda from truth?

I will see it. Admittedly I'll probably download it. However it takes great effort to ignore the kind of emotional pool this film is obviously looking to tap into for success -the fear filled kind that leads to foreign wars over false pretenses. Demand all you want for the audience to be politically dispassionate, but weather it's a film to gain box office $$ or an American administration looking to get their boot fixed in the desert, the exploitation is all the same.

Pearl Harbor sucked, and I miss you.

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
i think they should have cast bruce willis in the movie and called it "Die Hard 4: Revenge of the Terrorists"

Galactic Phantom

TRIBE Member
My criticism about this movie based upon the poster & random facts i know about geography.

- a plane heading out from Newark to San Fran that crashes in Pennsylvania.
- the poster has a picture of the Statue of Liberty in the foreground & a faint smoking WTC in the back.

How is this possible when the Statue of Libery to the WTC is a north east direction & Newark is north west of the all this?

Am I wrong?

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
OTIS said:
I will see it. Admittedly I'll probably download it. However it takes great effort to ignore the kind of emotional pool this film is obviously looking to tap into for success -the fear filled kind that leads to foreign wars over false pretenses. Demand all you want for the audience to be politically dispassionate, but weather it's a film to gain box office $$ or an American administration looking to get their boot fixed in the desert, the exploitation is all the same.
Greengrass waded into the Northern Ireland troubles with 'Omagh' and 'Bloody Sunday, have you seen either? Knowing this is the guy that made 'Bloody Sunday' makes me optimistic about this film.

Thumpr

TRIBE Member
Galactic Phantom said:
My criticism about this movie based upon the poster & random facts i know about geography.

- a plane heading out from Newark to San Fran that crashes in Pennsylvania.
- the poster has a picture of the Statue of Liberty in the foreground & a faint smoking WTC in the back.

How is this possible when the Statue of Libery to the WTC is a north east direction & Newark is north west of the all this?

Am I wrong?

the first time i saw the poster i thought "well that didn't happen, as 93 was WAY west of NYC when the towers were hit, and then didn't come anywhere near the city afterward."

this is the path of flight 93:

the poster was done for dramatic impact, but it's bull.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Hal-9000 said:
Greengrass waded into the Northern Ireland troubles with 'Omagh' and 'Bloody Sunday, have you seen either?
Yeah, I've seen Bloody Sunday. I enjoyed it. My contention however is not with the potential entertainment value of the film.

Thumpr said:
the poster was done for dramatic impact, but it's bull.
Exhibit A.

Which gives me an idea. I'm gonna do a movie about the IRA and put a photo of Princess Diana's mangled mercedes on the cover. That should have them streaming in.