• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Union - Pearson Express Train prices: fair or not?

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
The cost of riding the highly anticipated Union Pearson Express for a one-way trip from Pearson airport to downtown Toronto will cost users $27.50.
PRESTO card users will get a discount with a one-way fare of $19.
Those who board the Union Pearson Express at mid-points will also be paying less.
( wait...it stops elsewhere before it hits YYZ ? then, it's not Express ! )

Zorro

TRIBE Member
The cost of riding the highly anticipated Union Pearson Express for a one-way trip from Pearson airport to downtown Toronto will cost users $27.50.
Those who board the Union Pearson Express at mid-points will also be paying less.
with Pearson making flat rates for cabs. If you live downtown, like i do. 5 minutes to union. And not traveling Alone. This is a ridiculious cost. It's 50 flat rate from my front door. All things considering, I'd pay for door to door comfort of the taxi or limo and the tip.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Sure they do, just people traffic human congestion. Fighting for a seat. Hey single person, commuting from different city's perhaps.

Again me and the family leaving from the same place @ the same cost. Makes more sense to be picked up in front of my house and dropped in front of the correct terminal. Same goes I would think for anybody else in the downtown core.

At least the bus drops from 27 to 42 if paying for more then one.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

acheron

TRIBE Member
However I do like the family rates they offer.
agreed. we're in parkdale - pretty close to the "Bloor" stop. $55 for a family isn't bad but really, the convenience of a limo (door to door service, being let off at your airline's entrance, etc.) kind of beats that hands down.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
No I agree, I mean I would rather have the limo. Which flat fee cost less then what they say
And travel time is also less. Except for maybe this time of day. Why drag my bags the 3 blocks to union when I can through the, I the trunk. This comes into even more p,ay as you move further east then i am central.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
For me it would be like 20 bucks to get to Union in a cab with all this roadwork going on, then schlepping the my bags to the UP train, then another 28 bucks for that. Limo is still more appealing for just an extra few bucks.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
I think they may really have fudge the cost from downtown vs convenience. It's great there is an "express" train to the airport. However there is nothing easy or cheaper about taking it.

Besides frequent travels who are doing conferences or meetings on their own. Staying around union. Who is going to ride this at that cost and hassle. Hell what of I wanted one of the other terminals?

I'll say it again I live 3 blocks away, at Jarvis. If I'm traveling, I dont want to lug my bags there, then figure out getting on a train, paying for it yada yada yada.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I want to take a red pen to the last several posts and start marking them up for grammar and spelling mistakes. :p

The $19 with Presto card is a game changer for me. I'll schlepp my big red backpack the 18 minute walk to union when I go backpacking. If I'm gonna do it on the cheap, I might as well start the moment I walk out of my place!

djfear

TRIBE Member
"Monthly Unlimited Travel:
$300 per month
Flat rate to/from all UP stations
Average cost per ride $7.50 fare*
May be eligible for a
CRA
tax credit"

Their employee pricing is off. Anyone who works 5 days a week will rarely take 40 trips. You'll have at least 1 holiday per month, and then there are sick days and vacation days. It's more like $7.80 to 8.30 / trip with the monthly pass.

erika

TRIBE Member
this pricing is just bad.

agreed. we're in parkdale - pretty close to the "Bloor" stop. $55 for a family isn't bad but really, the convenience of a limo (door to door service, being let off at your airline's entrance, etc.) kind of beats that hands down.
Limo from my door costs $54; it would have to get way cheaper for me to consider the "bloor" stop and extra schlepping.

And why would I get a Presto card for a couple of round trips per year?

Last edited:

Zorro

TRIBE Member
I want to take a red pen to the last several posts and start marking them up for grammar and spelling mistakes. :p

The $19 with Presto card is a game changer for me. I'll schlepp my big red backpack the 18 minute walk to union when I go backpacking. If I'm gonna do it on the cheap, I might as well start the moment I walk out of my place!
Lol, you and every english teacher I had. And a number of TRIBErs.

The Truth

TRIBE Member
I'm still just gonna pay one token for the subway to Kipling and then take the 192 Express bus if I'm going to the airport :cool:

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

erika

TRIBE Member
In answer to the title of the thread: no, not fair. When you compare what it costs to get from any airport in London to the city, or Charles de Gaulle to Paris, or any number of others, absolutely not.

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Fair would be having jets at the island so you wouldn't need to go to Pearson anymore, excepting outside of NA of course.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
In answer to the title of the thread: no, not fair. When you compare what it costs to get from any airport in London to the city, or Charles de Gaulle to Paris, or any number of others, absolutely not.
One way train to London to Gatwick is about £15 (£10 if you're lucky.) The express train is £20.

To Stansted they say the lowest price is £8, but in real life you're paying £16-£20 non-express since you probably will have to be there for a specific time and can't just take the cheapest train for the day.

Heathrow Express is £21 each way, although you could take the tube for cheap (it takes about 1:45min though, while the express takes 20min.)

Therefore the prices are comparable (or cheaper in Toronto with the pass), although Gatwick, Stansted and Heathrow are a lot further away than YYZ.

Last edited:

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
I love how Metrolinx cites some of the most expensive places in the world when justifying this one-way rate. As others have already said, this pricing makes little to no sense.

Cheapest airport limo flat rate for me to go to the airport from my home (Spadina/Adelaide) is $48. With tip, $55.

For my partner and I to take UP Express, we need to get to Union from home. That is either $6 TTC or $12 (after tip) in a cab. Then, we pay $38 to get to Pearson (only if we both have Presto cards). This trip, in total, becomes $44 at best.

For only $11 more, I get the convenience of door to door service plus not having to schlep my bags around everywhere. No brainer for me! Even more so if we are too bothered to get the Presto cards and the UP Express trip becomes over $60.