• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Unintentional Parody

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
TODAY'S REPUBLICANISM: You can't really parody this exchange between an NYT interviewer and Connie Mack, former Republican senator, and president Bush's point-man on tax reform. The dialogue is about spending and taxes:

NYT: Well, the U.S. government has to get money from somewhere. As a two-term former Republican senator from Florida, where do you suggest we get money from?

Mack: What money?

NYT:the money to run this country.

Mack:We'll borrow it.

NYT:I never understand where all this money comes from.

Mack:When the president says we need another $200 billion for Katrina repairs, does he just go and borrow it from the Saudis? In a sense, we do. Maybe the Chinese.

NYT:Is that fair to our children? If we keep borrowing at this level, won't the Arabs or the Chinese eventually own this country?

Mack:I am not worried about that. We are a huge country producing enormous assets day in and day out. We have great strength, and we have always adjusted to difficulties that faced us, and we will continue to do so.
Essentially: fuck the next generation. And they call that conservatism these days.

wayne kenoff

TRIBE Member
this is what I don't understand about neo-cons. They're not fiscally conservative at all. which is the only part of conservatism that holds any value for me.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Hal-9000

Essentially: fuck the next generation. And they call that conservatism these days.
Yep. That's indeed not conservatism. That's a perversion of it. They are state reactionaries. They call for a large state, specifically in the area the US most dominates - Arms, military and the development of each to leverage control domestically and internationally. The 'conservatism' term is the guise they use to mobilize a certain area of the voting population, other than that they comfortably exist far away of traditional conservative activity.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

deafplayer

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Unintentional Parody

Originally posted by OTIS
Yep. That's indeed not conservatism. That's a perversion of it. They are state reactionaries. They call for a large state, specifically in the area the US most dominates - Arms, military and the development of each to leverage control domestically and internationally. The 'conservatism' term is the guise they use to mobilize a certain area of the voting population, other than that they comfortably exist far away of traditional conservative activity.
They also borrow support from social/cultural conservatives, the religious right.
I think it was w/ Reagan that they started voting as a block (thanks to their leaders, who previously advocated abstaining b/c participating in the corrupt game would compromise their high Christian ideals), at a time when their numbers were also growing.
I just heard this story briefly from Adam Curtis in his Century of the Self documentaries... if anyone knows more about that im very interested in finding out more

Its like a coalition of the reactionary corporate-statists concerned with the larger political/economic order, and the reactionary social 'conservatives' concerned with maintaining their position of prestige in their culture order (their churches dominating the godless schools, males dominating the family etc)

Hamza

TRIBE Member
don't you ppl. get it?

its not about the money...its about protecting "our" way of life and "values"

god...I need to be less sarcastic....and asshole-ish.