1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Unhappy with my HD

Discussion in 'Technology' started by JEMZ, Mar 4, 2010.

1. JEMZ

JEMZ TRIBE Member

So I have a Samsung 1920 x 1080i 60Hz LCD TV with an HD receiver on Cable run through HDMI and I just am not happy enough with the image.

When I am watching commercials and broadcast graphics etc it is stunning but when I actually watch sports (for example) I get so much compression pixalation and it is driving me nuts.

My brother in law has a 720p Plasma on Bell and his image is amazing.

Any thoughts?

2. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

If you're watching CTV or Sportsnet, they compress the heck out of their image.

TSN is mid-grade.

The American networks are decent though.

3. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

What was CTV doing during the Olympics then? Their coverage was wicked in HD.

4. deepfunkysoul

deepfunkysoul TRIBE Promoter

Yeah I noticed Rogers HD is pretty crap compared ATSC OTA signal and a lot of the extra HD programs are upscaled and not true HD. I compared my ATSC vs Rogers side by side and the difference was like night and day. This was using the same channels same programs. I ended up cancelling rogers and just got a high end channel master OTA antenna. The best thing is it is free and works great. Might not be the answer for everyone especially if you watch a lot of tv but I watch most of my shows online with sites like NinjaVideo which have started streaming in HD. Even Streamed HD looks better then rogers.

5. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

I know. But if you check them out now, it's nowhere near the same quality.

I'm thinking because the Olympics is a conglomerate of a bunch of international networks who "share" every signal, that maybe CTV didn't actually broadcast that much through their feed?

Who knows, I'm tired...

6. Karim

Karim TRIBE Member

Bell HD looks considerably better than their cable counterparts...

7. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

OTA all the way baby.

Rogers and Bell copress their signal.

Sports will look like shit if your tv has a bad refresh rate above 6ms.

8. lobo

lobo TRIBE Member

Another vote for OTA but I know that's it not for everyone. Heck, I still can't cancel my Rogers subscription because of the viewing habits in my home. That said, I too have compared the HD quality between Rogers and OTA and OTA beats it hands down in most scenarios.

I'm kind of surprised to hear that Bell has better HD as I always thought that satellite had the worst HD image due to them conserving their bandwidth. I guess they're using better compression these days?

Lobo

9. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Every service compresses, including rogers which is why you see the OP and the echoes in this thread. Bell has moved to 8psk and will move to mpeg 4, so yes, there has been an increase in bandwidth.

Fact is, no Canadian should be completely happy with their HD since there is no service provider with the bandwidth necessary to feed the kind of bitrates you see on OTA signals. This is why I greet these discussions with a big "meh", its like complaining about why we don't have flying cars yet - the service really doesn't exist here.

Down the line this will change - the best bet is fibre service which is in its infancy but poised to grow significantly in the next few years.

Take a look at Verizon Fios service and the comments about it in the states - thats gonna be the answer to the bandwidth limitations of traditional cable and satellite methods of signal delivery.

10. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

I dont think you are unhappy with the source, you are probably unhappy with the display.

LCD tvs in general are crap. get your brother in law to bring his TV over to your place..hook it up to your feed...if its good, problem solved. sell your LCD and buy a new TV

Sears has a 42" Panasonic TCP series on sale for $699 right now that I guarantee you will absolutely destroy the image of almost any LCD for a fraction of the cost.

Personally I would rather not watch than watch an LCD

11. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

and talking about bell "HD" the sheer amount of scaling that goes on with their "signal" makes it a joke.

network broadcasts in 1080i, bell takes it, converts to 720p to send to your box, your box (a $300 piece of hardware with shitty video processing) either then scales it back to 1080i (which is the default and looks GODAWFUL) OR passes it through unmolested leaving your panel or AVR (which hopefully has better processing than the bell box) to scale the signal to its native resolution...either way 3 scaling steps going on in addition to all the compression bell uses. i have never seen a good looking picture from Bell HD, not in my home (i had it for 10 days til i cancelled because of how ass it looked) not in a bar, not at a friend's home...nowhere. even the displays at the bell stores look like complete horseshit

think about watching a football game on CTV via Bell TV...Fox covers the game (broadcasts in 720p), feed gets picked up by CTV who subs their commercials in and puts their logo on the screen (converted to 1080i)..Bell then gets their hands on it (converted back to 720p) then it gets sent to you where it is again scaled back to 768p or 1080p (assuming a flat panel of some sort)...

most service providers cant even scale things *once* correctly, let alone that many times.

12. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

Dude, my Sharp Aquos LCD blows most TV out of the water. I don't buy what you are selling sir.....

13. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

I will say the EXACT opposite Of Videotronic.

LCD is Great your TV is fine. To prove it get a blu ray disc playing.

Bell HD is great I've had it for 5+ years and it's always been way better than every Rodgers HD I've seen and Miles better than Starchoice HD.

14. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ha yes, starchoice is regularly markedly poorer than Bell and Rogers...

15. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

what are you basing your claims of LCD superiority on? test results? subjective opinion? what have you compared those sets to?

have you ever seen a properly calibrated display with accurate colours, proper grayscale and decent motion handling?

16. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

Yes, Yes and Yes......

End result was my Sharp Aquos LCD blew other out of the water. Most difference was seen with blue ray movies and PS3 games.

But its all subjective in the end regardless of how it is set up. Its like saying I like my Lambo but not a Farrari. There will both get you where you need to go. Its kinda like art in that way.

17. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

So we all agree that starchoice is the worst of the bunch.

18. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Ya, "Shaw Direct" has been operating at capacity for some time. They just dont have the bandwidth that Rogers and Bell TV have.

19. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

This. minus the aquos part

Plasma is good for blacks LCD is good for other things.

To say LCD is crap i'd be questioning your objectivity.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  20. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

"But its all subjective in the end regardless of how it is set up. Its like saying I like my Lambo but not a Farrari. There will both get you where you need to go. Its kinda like art in that way."

well...see..thats sort of where you are wrong..

video is defined by a set of standards...how well a display adheres to those standards are the measure of how "good" a display is. if the display is unable to adhere to those standards it isnt "good", no matter what you might think of it and how much you might like it.

grayscale, proper de-interlacing, proper 3:2 pulldown, proper handling of 24fps material, colour accuracy, black level, true contrast..these are just a few of the things that factor into whether or not a display is "good"

again..you might like your aquos a lot, but that doesn't necessarily mean its "good".

21. JEMZ

JEMZ TRIBE Member

I should qualify I am actually on Cogeco rather than Rogers.

22. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

http://www.imagingscience.com/upload/Soneira_LCD_Plasma_Shootout_Part_1.pdf

ill cut and paste a few bits here:

23. Eclectic

Eclectic TRIBE Member

Shaw is starting "fibre to the home" this year apparently.

No idea on price point but I know Calgary and Vancouver will have the option by the end of the summer.

24. agentRC4

agentRC4 TRIBE Member

Well what else can I say.

I likey my tveee and its picture.

25. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

and thats totally cool..but to say that it is a "good" display that "blows everything else away" is a fallacy and completely incorrect