• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Underworld coming to a North American city near you

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

kate manus

TRIBE Member
saw this on residentadvisor.net...

Rick Smith from electronic duo Underworld was taken to hospital in Athens after a gang stormed the Ejekt Festival on Saturday.

Smith together with vocalist Karl Hyde and tour DJ Darren Price were due to close out the festival when a group of thirty "anarchists" wearing masks and wielding tear gas, iron bars and baseball bats forced their way into the festival grounds at approximately 11.20 p.m. during the Beastie Boys' performance.

Cars were set on fire and property was vandalised forcing festival officials and police to evacuate the baseball stadium where the festival was being staged.

Smith was one of several persons injured along with security staff. He was kept in hospital for a short time in Athens before returning home to the UK for additional treatment. The other members of the band were not harmed.

Yesterday, Underworld announced the details of their fifth studio album 'Oblivion with Bells', which is due for release in October 2007.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
recent pics from knebworth gig...
687337842_13f60e814e.jpg

686527091_60f9e70275.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigscreensatellite/sets/72157600591139430/

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
my rat bastard of a friend just sent me a picture of him holding a copy of the yet to be released UW album, Oblivion with Bells.
uw-owb.jpg

the bugger.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
:p for those who do care, Underworld will be broadcasting LIVE from the Roundhouse Theatre, UK, for the following 3 dates...
Wednesday 17th, Thursday 18th and Friday 19th, October 2007.
show starts at 3 pm EST, with Underworld hitting the stage at 4 pm EST.
quicktime is needed to view...
page with test set up below.
http://www.underworldlive.com/live-on-air

enjoy.

Pyrovitae

TRIBE Member
^ i was at their show at the roundhouse last night. this seems an appropriate place to put a review, if anyone cares:

we missed the opening act and arrived five minutes before the show, which turned out to be an advantage as a visiting friend didn't have a ticket and managed to get one from a scalper for £15 (we paid £24 when we bought in advance.) score.

i've never been to the roundhouse and it's really an incredibly intimate venue. even though it was a sold out show i don't think there were more than a thousand people there. we had an excellent view and at one point i went to the very front to take pictures with no problems getting through the crowd (and what a nice crowd it was too as people were really accommodating!) that was awesome. i have a really good picture of hyde, smith, and price behind the decks which i'll post later.

the visuals were pretty cool, and obviously appealed to the children of the 80's, as during one track a game of pong played in the backround and for another, space invaders.

they only played three tracks from 'oblivion with bells', which seemed to be a bit more mellow and ambient and the crowd was a slightly chatty...it's almost unfortunate that it was released on the 16th, the day before the show, as i guess most wouldn't have minded a listen prior to it.

karl hyde's energy was palpable as he was bouncing all over the stage in a silver sequined shirt. memorable tracks: push upstairs, two months off, dark and long (!!!) pearls girl, king of snake, and born slippy - after which the crowd went absolutely mental. MENTAL. for their encore they did jumbo.

it was an amazing show and a solid two hour performance. the whole thing was filmed by a camera crew and there was a notice on the door that they were filming for a documentary or something, i think, and that our image may be used in future - although we were in such a rush to get in as we could hear the first few strains of rez/cowgirl. maybe that's something to watch out for in future? they were selling cd's of the performance five minutes after it ended, which is a pretty cool idea, and i'm listening to it now. i also have a lovely new 'oblivion with bells' girly tee.

yay!

Last edited:

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
I forgot that the first Roundhouse show was last night! We were going to drive over on Friday, but there's too much other stuff going on :(

Oh well, I Love Techno is in 3 weeks :D

Pyrovitae

TRIBE Member
here's hyde's intro to the crowd last night as audio typed from my cd:

'this one’s going out to the world tonight…i lost two glitter shirts still hanging in a manchester hotel and a lifetime of brain cells in the george in soho…we fell asleep in the dark and rain wrapped in metal rolling on rubber and woke up in a car park at the start of the M1…with southern sunlight streaming through silver slats…as we rolled into the outskirts of another city it all began to feel familiar, the shapes of places we used to know, the shapes of faces in the basement of the bbc, the wires connecting us to the planet and a sense that essex is very near. london! we come home to thee. bruised, but ready for sweet celebration!'