• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Un- Employment Insurance

stryker

TRIBE Member
We just had this discussion at my office about un-employment insurance and we all came to a couple of points.

-why the hell am I paying for EI? (I'm not gonna use it)
-Why don't I get back some or all of my money if I don't use it.
-Where is all of the money going?
There can't be that many people in Canada that are unemployed that necessitates (sp?) me and the other 30+million canadians shelling out every paycheck with the understanding that 93% are never going to use it, or least use up our contributions worth.

I have no problem paying 15% tax and to tell you the truth I wouldn't be too bothered if they went higher, but I am bothered with forking over a percentage of every paycheck for the last decade for a service that i'm never going to use.
And' I don't even want to get started on the CPP.

Anyone have some answers for me?
 

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
I did nine months of UI over two years ago. It was the first time I was on the pogey.

So thank you. You also pay for a really nice job placement and career center at Yonge and St. Clair. It made losing my job feel like a promotion.
 

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
your paying for me to sit here and post about it...I collect it for a few months but I see your point in paying only to know your not gonna use it anytime soon...it's kind of silly if YOU KNOW you'll never use it
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

finary

TRIBE Promoter
I'm even more frustrated with taxes than you are...

15% Sales Tax
28 - 40% Income Tax (blended)
$2,800/year property tax
6% Interest Charges

What's left for me? :/

it would be much easier to get ahead in the U.S., too bad I can't stand it there...
 

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
The question is how do you know you're not going to need it one day.

Any Richie Riches in here? Show your smug face, rich boy!!!!
 

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stryker
We just had this discussion at my office about un-employment insurance and we all came to a couple of points.

-why the hell am I paying for EI? (I'm not gonna use it)
-Why don't I get back some or all of my money if I don't use it.
-Where is all of the money going?
There can't be that many people in Canada that are unemployed that necessitates (sp?) me and the other 30+million canadians shelling out every paycheck with the understanding that 93% are never going to use it, or least use up our contributions worth.

I have no problem paying 15% tax and to tell you the truth I wouldn't be too bothered if they went higher, but I am bothered with forking over a percentage of every paycheck for the last decade for a service that i'm never going to use.
And' I don't even want to get started on the CPP.

Anyone have some answers for me?

1. You only shell out to a certain maximum limit. Its not out of every pay cheque.

2. Canada has a social contract and a great social safety net. Its the #1 thing that separates us from out neighbours to the south. Are you trying to say that since you don't go to the hospital that you shouldn't have to pay into Ohip.

3. Don't say you'll never need it. I've been working my whole life and I just got laid off. UI, will enable me to take my time and find another job/career that is good for me, as opposed to rushing into a shitty job cuz I need the money.

*c*
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

finary

TRIBE Promoter
Re: Re: Un- Employment Insurance

Originally posted by KickIT
1. You only shell out to a certain maximum limit. Its not out of every pay cheque.

*c*

You must make good money then, not everyone reaches their maximum each year, so for them it IS off of _every_ paycheck.

/f
 

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stryker
I have no problem paying 15% tax and to tell you the truth I wouldn't be too bothered if they went higher, but I am bothered with forking over a percentage of every paycheck for the last decade for a service that i'm never going to use.
And' I don't even want to get started on the CPP.

Anyone have some answers for me?


how do you know you're never gonna use it? you might need it someday. that's what it's for. it's insurance. just like any other insurance. you don't get it back if you don't use it. ;)
 

stryker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Evil Dynovac
The question is how do you know you're not going to need it one day.

Any Richie Riches in here? Show your smug face, rich boy!!!!

Because I would rather work in some shitty factory making pesos per hour then live off the dole.
I'm not a proud man but their are some line that even I wont cross. :)

What the hell is the gov't doing with all of the money? I hope they're making organ famrs for when I get older

Stew
 

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stryker


What the hell is the gov't doing with all of the money? I hope they're making organ famrs for when I get older

Stew

They're using it for Power Lunches at Canoe.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

thom100

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stryker
We just had this discussion at my office about un-employment insurance and we all came to a couple of points.

-why the hell am I paying for EI? (I'm not gonna use it)
-Why don't I get back some or all of my money if I don't use it.
-Where is all of the money going?
There can't be that many people in Canada that are unemployed that necessitates (sp?) me and the other 30+million canadians shelling out every paycheck with the understanding that 93% are never going to use it, or least use up our contributions worth.

Canada Population in 30 million , Im not sure what it work force is, but Im guess it not even half that.

EI is such a small amount per pay cheque , what is it 2% ? I think it is a good safety net to have because you never know when your job will disappear.

I know there is alot of fraud in the system, but people can only scam for a year.
 

stryker

TRIBE Member
I knew it!
I bet they're giving the rest to the french :mad:

Actually, I have started to gain a higher appreciation for the french. I think it might be all of the sentimentality i'm feeling over Chretien leaving.
Stew
 

PRIMAL

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stryker


Actually, I have started to gain a higher appreciation for the french. I think it might be all of the sentimentality i'm feeling over Chretien leaving.
Stew

And your addiction to freedom fries.
 

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
Stew - you can't guarantee that you'll never need it. You may say, while you're young and healthy, that you'd rather work in a factory than go on the dole, but I see people all the time who are totally shocked by the circumstances they're in. You could get laid off, suddenly have health problems that prevent you from doing factory work or manual labour, and have no choice but to collect EI while you're looking for a suitable job.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

stryker

TRIBE Member
I should probably clarify myself here. It's not the %2 or %200 from each cheque that i'm bothered with, it's the fact that i'm never gonna get it back and in all likely hood I won't be using it. So why don't I get some of it back after something like 5 years.
Or put the money into the space program or Survivor "Canada".

This whole thing got started because of the CPP deductions from my paycheck and the fact that in all likely hood it won't be around when it's time for me to retire. I should get it back and the gov't shouldpay for my Australia fund.

Stew
 

stryker

TRIBE Member
Doesn't it take a couple of months to actually get EI? So, in that time how hard could it be to find a job that I would need to go on EI.
 

stryker

TRIBE Member
oops...I tried to edit it but i was taking too long.

Where is all of the money going?
What are they doing with the huge surplus?
Is there a surplus or is it all going to the newfies?

Stew
 

sk8

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by janiecakes
Stew - you can't guarantee that you'll never need it. You may say, while you're young and healthy, that you'd rather work in a factory than go on the dole, but I see people all the time who are totally shocked by the circumstances they're in. You could get laid off, suddenly have health problems that prevent you from doing factory work or manual labour, and have no choice but to collect EI while you're looking for a suitable job.

exactly. when you are in your fifties and suddenly get downsized - are you going to go on EI or work at mcdonalds? cause you're not getting into a factory job at that age. or any job easily.

the only thing you'll get quickly is a fast food job.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top