• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

UK bans khat - looks forward to not having Khat anymore..

praktik

TRIBE Member
Just like with their other prohibitions, the UK is looking forward to a khat-free world, hoping to emulate the dramatic success of earlier prohibitions that have made it impossible to locate narcotics on the island nation.

Oh wait, no the conservatives just decided to ignore previous studies and ban it, commissioned by the government to study whether to ban it or not. Adding another substance to a failed strategy. Probably helps them keep some cred with the anti-immigrant/tough on crime peeps.

More here:

Banning Khat is another pointless drug law that will do more harm than good - Comment - Voices - The Independent

acheron

TRIBE Member
Heh Canada banned the stuff years ago. Although the UK has a bigger problem with their immigrant population than we do (we don't see race riots in major cities generally)...

I remember back in the 1990's a friend of mine lived with a bunch of khat "importers" - it wasn't illegal in Canada back then, it was simply a foreign plant/vegetable and it would be confiscated as such if you were caught. They had a setup where they would give mules $500 and a return ticket with two suitcases to go to London, meet a guy in a hotel, exchange the empty suitcases for full ones and another $500, and back they'd come with another shipment. The shipments would be caught maybe one out of every 10 times, but that was an acceptable ratio for them. They asked me if I wanted to get involved, make some easy money... I was sorely tempted (as was my wallet) but I declined. When I think about the air miles I could have racked up, damn.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I had some exposure - came from someone connected to somali immigrant community. Chewed some and kinda liked it.

Didn't do much though. Like a strong coffee/pseudo-effedrin type effect. Probably way less intense than common pharmaceuticals and likely not so different than loading up on red bull and other energy drinks...

acheron

TRIBE Member
red bull doesn't turn your mouth black and rot your teeth out quite as efficiently either!

Plus you don't look like this: