• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Ugly Duckling anyone?

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
I went a while ago to see these guys and fell completely in love with their tunes. I have one of their cd's "Fresh Mode" and was wondering if anyone here knows of any other of their albums I could pick up? These guys have quite the style! Any info would be great!

Thanks! :D

tablist

TRIBE Member
I saw a bunch of Ugly Duckling on wax at Play De not long ago.... There's a bunch of singles and full length's under the battle record section.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
I think they opened for a show that I went to once.. is one of the guys a tall lanky jewish dood??

they were great!

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
I had no idea one of them was Jewish!! That's even more reason to but it! But I was looking for cd's or something cos I unfortunately don't have tables :(

Funzo

TRIBE Member
Are they a Canadian based group, more specifically from Vancouver? (not that it matters) They're white boys too right?

If so I picked up one of their CD's in Whis. when I lived there.

I could be wrong about the location part?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Funzo
Are they a Canadian based group, more specifically from Vancouver? (not that it matters) They're white boys too right?

If so I picked up one of their CD's in Whis. when I lived there.

I could be wrong about the location part?

No they're fom Long Beach California

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
Well if you haven't heard of them I highly recommend buying something from them. Ugly Duckling really know how to put the groove back in hip hop. Also the Dj (Einstein) is a fantastic turntablist.

aimeesan

TRIBE Member
I've been lovin' the UD for a couple of years now-they're awesome! Pick up their album (I believe it's called) Journey to Anywhere. It's a front- to -backer!

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
Sweet, is that the only recommendation you have because I am really finding it hard to find anything from them. I was lucky to find what I did! But thank you for the info!

aimeesan

TRIBE Member
I don't know if they have any more albums but I picked that one up at HMV. Search Ugly Duckling, hip hop on Google, you'll find some info.

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
I saw them open for Basement Jaxx in 2001 and was completely unimpressed. The only good part for me was their DJ dropping "Long Live The Kane" in his opening set.

I might feel differently if I heard one of their discs, though. They were a little too old school for me, which didn't sit well considering they were probably in diapers when the hip hop they were emulating came out.

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by BigBadBaldy
I saw them open for Basement Jaxx in 2001 and was completely unimpressed. The only good part for me was their DJ dropping "Long Live The Kane" in his opening set.

I might feel differently if I heard one of their discs, though. They were a little too old school for me, which didn't sit well considering they were probably in diapers when the hip hop they were emulating came out.

I like them for that reason. They really don't try to be anything than what they are. Though I agree that they are young, they do have a good grasp of old skool hip hop. That joined with the tuntablism, track selection, positive lyrics I find them to be really entertaining.

Ps, I was also at that show

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
Yeah, I'm reluctant to judge them from the experience of one live show opening slot.

I guess I fail to see the relevancy of that style of hip hop anymore. It reminds me of really old Beasties, REAAAAALLLY old Ice T and Ice Cube as well. Like before Ice T put out "Power" and before Cube was in NWA they caned some pretty funny '85 style "Rock The Bells"ish shit. I used to like that stuff, and still do to an extent, but would rather listen to the originals than imitators.

Just my opinion.

zoo

TRIBE Member
i like ugly duckling

their latest cd "Taste The Secret" is a concept album and is pretty funky

grab the track "la revolucion" and if you don't like it well the ... you suck

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
OK..that's it...alex,why not fuckin' completely scrap the hip hop room...I guess people are either blind or putting it in here for their own reasons

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
fresh mode back to back with journey to anywhere is great...the title track to each is some of their best stuff...people have even been qouted as saying the second Beasties coming but I wouldn't go THAT far at all!...missed them a few times here:(