• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

U.S. targets Canadian pot laws

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Cellucci suggests tighter laws will make it easier to cross border

CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA - Younger people trying to enter the United States will become targets of increased surveillance unless Canada can dispel the perception that it is slackening penalties for pot use, U.S. Ambassador Paul Cellucci said.

That perception might be eradicated if Canada's pending marijuana legislation included criminal penalties for more than one conviction, for possession near schools or possession while operating a vehicle, Cellucci said.

"We understand that this is a public policy decision for Canada to make just like (some U.S.) states have made," he told The Canadian Press in an interview.

"We're just saying that right now the perception is that it's going to be a lot easier to get marijuana in Canada and that's going to put pressure on the border."

That strain won't slow border traffic and trade to a crawl, but it will have an impact on border crossings and on those crossing into the United States. Younger people travelling south will be prime targets of heightened surveillance, Cellucci said.

"If the perception is that it's easier to get marijuana in Canada, that's going to put pressure on the border as particularly young people drive into the United States, whether they're U.S. citizens or Canadian citizens. Customs and Immigration officers at the border are law enforcement officers. Their antenna will be up looking for those trying to bring these drugs into the United States."

Prime Minister Paul Martin has said that his government will re-introduce legislation drafted by his predecessor, Jean Chrétien, that decriminalizes penalties for possession of up to 15 grams of marijuana. What remains unclear is whether the bill will be brought back in its original form or whether it will be amended to toughen its penalties provisions.

The Bush administration has made it clear to Canada that it regards the proposed legislation as a measure that will increase marijuana supply in the United States and increase drug trafficking across the border.

The legislation mandates a maximum fine of $400 for adults and $250 for youth for possession of 15 grams or less of marijuana - about 20 cigarettes depending on how thickly they are rolled. Maximum sentences for illicit growers would increase and the government would spend about $150 million on an educational campaign to convince young people not to use drugs. Fines for possession would increase for intoxicated drivers.

But there are currently no provisions to make repeat offenders, drivers and those possessing the drug near schools criminally responsible. That's affecting the perception of the proposed bill among Bush administration officials, Cellucci said.

"I think several things could be done to toughen the bill. I think that if the effort is made to change this perception.

"There could be emphasis on the fact that . . . a young person is not going to have a criminal record but they are going to have to pay a significant fine which is more than what's happening to him right now.

"You could do things like, on a second offence you will have a criminal record and if you do it while you're driving or if you're near a school.

"There are a lot of things that can be done to accomplish the public policy objective of making sure young people don't have a criminal record because of one marijuana offence, but change the perception that's currently out there that `boy it's going to be a lot easier to get marijuana in Canada."'

Asked if that perception was solidified when Chrétien mused about lighting up a joint after he left office, Cellucci reacted with a nod and sustained chuckle.

http://www.torontostar.com/NASApp/c...417&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968705899037

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I hate the Dutch-- those free-thinking assholes started it long ago, and now their progressive ideas are spreading to the rest of the world...

The U.S. knows that if enough people smoked pot, there would no war, and then what would be the point of being a superpower with a huge military?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

echootje

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
The legislation mandates a maximum fine of $400 for adults and $250 for youth for possession of 15 grams or less of marijuana - about 20 cigarettes depending on how thickly they are rolled.

20 of these? :)

gubydal

TRIBE Member
Couldn't have said it better myself.... :)

Originally posted by PosTMOd
I hate the Dutch-- those free-thinking assholes started it long ago, and now their progressive ideas are spreading to the rest of the world...

The U.S. knows that if enough people smoked pot, there would no war, and then what would be the point of being a superpower with a huge military?

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by echootje
Hey BH, what do you read for news?

it changes on a daily basis

I generally use independent.co.uk, guardian.co.uk, bbc.co.uk, sydney morning herald, toronto star, cbc, globe and mail, guerrillanewsnetwork.com (they have a great article posting forum), and some others.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd

yeah but the dutch went to iraq....

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
So I guess the Raging Grannies will still be able to stay under the radar during their covert operations.....go Gramma, go!
-J
*smoke 'em if ya got 'em

Shug

TRIBE Member
I love the thinly veiled threats from our "friendly" neighbours to the South, pretty much bullying us into changing our domestic policy.

The United States is becoming more and more like pre-war Fascist Germany.

I wonder if in a few decades, the World will look back on these days, and think, "Sheesh! What were the Yanks thinking?" like we do with the lamentable Germans.

Probably not... by then, the US will have re-written history and everyone will be under their iron fist government.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Shug

Probably not... by then, the US will have re-written history and everyone will be under their iron fist government.

Oh lord they are going to be laughed at in 30 years.

Renton

TRIBE Member
I love the thinly veiled threats from our "friendly" neighbours to the South, pretty much bullying us into changing our domestic policy.

The United States is becoming more and more like pre-war Fascist Germany.

I wonder if in a few decades, the World will look back on these days, and think, "Sheesh! What were the Yanks thinking?" like we do with the lamentable Germans.

That's a very ignorant and dim-witted comment you've made. How you could compare the two, or know so little about history to do so, is beyond me.

These are just a few of the atrocities commited by the Pre-War German government.

1.Pre-war Germany implemented various laws that barred Jews from all facets of public life.

2. The German government condoned and sponsored violence against those that were not of "Aryan" origin.

3. The Government held book burning demonstrations across the country.

4. Jews and other minorities were barred from owning land.

5. The Nuremberg laws were passed, that aimed at taking away all rights as a citizen of Jews and other minorties.

Think about each of those things, and tell me how any of those come even close to comparing with what is taking place in America today.

octo

TRIBE Member
anecdote

In late August, myself and a couple of friends were on our way to Indianapolis for a conference. They pulled us over at the border and made us wait in the customs office at the bridge crossing in Detroit.

While we waited inside, they searched the bad-ass Buick we'd rented for the drive. They came inside and, out of the blue, asked us "which one of you guys smokes weed?" WFT? We didn't even have any zigs with us, let alone any herb.

Have they given those goons some sort of statistic that says 1 in 3 canadians smokes weed?

We looked at each other not wanting to say "we ALL did." So we said, "if you're asking us if we've got any with us...we don't"

We waited for 45 minutes while they all sat around a table deciding whether or not they were gonna let us in.

Part of the reason i didn't go to the Detroit Auto Show this year is because of the hassels i've experienced at the boarded there the last couple of years.

Though i'm gonna have to deal with it for DEMF.

-o-

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Shug

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Renton
That's a very ignorant and dim-witted comment you've made....
Exaggeration to prove a point, mien frein.

The Americans are smarter about the whole ordeal, anyways... they're being more subtle and more holistic. If those Brown Shirt tactics were attempted today, people would be up in arms.

All I'm saying is... that the Americans are getting away with a lot. A lot more than they should.

Renton

TRIBE Member

The Americans are smarter about the whole ordeal, anyways... they're being more subtle and more holistic. If those Brown Shirt tactics were attempted today, people would be up in arms.

Subtle about what? Is the American government burning books? Is the American government sponsoring violence against it's own citizens? Is the American government sitting in an office somewhere, planning out the systematic slaughter of six million of its citizens?

How can you blame America for protecting itself? I don't blame them for protecting their borders. I'd do the same if somebody attacked me. If somebody came into your house, and tried to harm your family, would you not increase the security in your home to ensure it didn't happen again? While I don't agree with all American policy, some of the steps they've taken are necessary to ensure their security.

Comparing them with Nazi Germany, even in an exaggerated sense, is a stupid thing to say.

JMan

TRIBE Member
Pretty soon they're gonna kill their own tourism industry with all this crap. If I'm subjected to a cavity search I'm gonna stay in nice chilly Canada.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Bush = Hitler. Just replace Jew with Muslum.

Cannabis is blamed as cause of man's death
By Richard Savill
(Filed: 20/01/2004)

A man of 36 is believed to have become the first person in Britain to die directly from cannabis poisoning.

Lee Maisey smoked six cannabis cigarettes a day for 11 years, an inquest heard. His death, which was registered as having been caused by cannabis toxicity, led to new warnings about the drug, which is due to be reclassified this month as a less dangerous one.

"This type of death is extremely rare," Prof John Henry, a toxicologist at Imperial College, London, said after the inquest at Haverfordwest, west Wales.

"I have not seen anything like this before. It corrects the argument that cannabis cannot kill anybody."

The inquest heard that Mr Maisey had complained of a headache on Aug 22 last year. Next morning he was found dead at the house he shared with a friend, Jeffrey Saunders, in Summerhill, Pembrokeshire.

Michael Howells, the Pembrokeshire coroner, said Mr Maisey was free from disease and had not drunk alcohol for at least 48 hours. Post-mortem tests showed a high level of cannabinoids in his blood.

He recorded a verdict of death by misadventure because Mr Maisey had died while taking part in an illegal activity. The death led to a warning about the changing strength of cannabis, which is to be reduced to a Class C drug on Jan 29.

Dr Philip Guy, a lecturer in addictions at the University of Hull, said: "Cannabis is not the nice hippy drug it used to be. It has been experimented with to produce stronger varieties."

Dr Guy said that death was more likely if users ate the drug rather than smoked it. "I would not be surprised if in this case the deceased had ingested a fatal amount of cannabis."

Last autumn police issued a warning that big consignments of strong cannabis were being smuggled in from Africa. On Jan 29, cannabis will be reclassified from a class B to a class C drug.

The shadow home secretary, David Davis, said last night: "This highlights what we have been saying about the effects of cannabis all along. When will people wake up to the fact that cannabis can be a harmful drug?

"By reclassifying the drug David Blunkett has shown he has lost the war on drugs. In my eyes, it's nothing more than an admission of failure."

Tristan Millington-Drake, the chief executive of the Chemical Dependency Centre, a charity that provides treatment for people with drug problems, said: "We have always taken the view that cannabis is an addictive drug, unlike the pedlars who try to persuade us that it is harmless. The Government's decision to reclassify cannabis is a mistake."

From: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/mai...0/ixportal.html

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Re: anecdote

Originally posted by octo
Part of the reason i didn't go to the Detroit Auto Show this year is because of the hassels i've experienced at the boarded there the last couple of years.

Though i'm gonna have to deal with it for DEMF.
Why bother going at all? It's not worth it.