• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

U.S. missle Deffence and YOU

nusty

TRIBE Member
This is from a good friend of mine whom I have the greatest trust in and would fight for and deffend till the end of my own being.
Please read when you have the time.
Thanks,
Dave

Greetings family, friends and acquaintances,

As such, I would ask you all to PLEASE, PLEASE read this if only because you know me and hopefully have some respect for my opinion. I write this as an attempt at making the future one I have a say in and hoping that after reading this you will have the opportunity to do the same.

As some of you may of heard, Nation Missile Defense(NMD) in the US has had a second wind under Bush's administration. Rumsfield, the US Secretary of Defense, actually drafted some of the original papers on the subject back in pre-Bush days. Presently he preaches the inevitability of a space Pearl Harbor if NMD isn't implemented which is at least debatable if not completely unfounded. He has a considerable amount of pull, and along with the administration has gotten NMD off the ground.

So what is NMD anyway?

The idea of NMD is basically a bunch of missiles in silos around North America along with detection and tracking radar (using heat signatures) so that any missile threat towards the United States can be detected and destroyed by these 'kill' missiles before it can get near it's target. Billions and billions of dollars have gone into this program (up to 9 per year as of now), and guess what, it's failed all it's realistic tests. The system is incapable of fulfilling the goals for which it was created, by it’s very nature. Technically, the physics just doesn't work out. The accuracy just isn't there, and it won't be anytime soon or ever. Practically, even if it did work (which remember it doesn't), there are many established ways that any rogue group could get around NMD to get the job done. The Union of Concerned Scientists, a group based out of MIT, came out with a exhaustive report on the system and it's (in)effectiveness that support the above statements. This report, called Countermeasures, can be accessed on their website: http://www.ucsusa.org/global_security/missile_defense/page.cfm?pageID=581

Ironically, as a system used to protect, it has also raised the probability of attack by unsettling certain foreign nations who have responded by increasing nuclear stores and funding and who have revamped old, forgotten attack strategies to new ones that circumvent NMD.

So, why is the Department of Defense lobbying so hard and well for something that won't work? The answer comes from something a lot of people don't realize, and is the crux of my concern. When I hear National Missile Defense, I focus on the word 'defense', and think to myself that although it probably isn't good for the stability of our world, there's a tinge of me that says a country has the contextual right to defend itself. I would think that a lot of people might feel the same. That to me is the only reason why I would support NMD, or better phrased, not argue against it. Unfortunately, it is the opposite of defense that is at the center of this issue.

"Vision for 2020" is the official document produced by US Space Command that outlines their plans for the next 20 or so years (it was created in late Nineties). This document shows NMD as only the first stage in a plan that will 'triumph' in, and I quote here from the document, "Dominating the space dimension of military operations to protect US interests and investments. Integrating Space Forces in warfighting capabilities across the full spectrum of conflict." Adding to the 'shock and awe' of this statement, is the way it is presented: the text appears like that at the beginning of the StarWars movies, starry background and all. Please see it for yourself on page 3 of this frightening document that you can view by clicking the link: http://www.fas.org/spp/military/docops/usspac/visbook.pdf

I would encourage you to read more of "Vision for 2020" as I think it only makes the situation clearer. The present Administration is pushing a plan for complete domination of space. That is not an exaggeration. Any space initiative, be scientific, commercial, etc., by any country will require prior consent of the US government. Though unverified, I have heard of a document stating that just as the British maintained their Empire with their control of the seas through their powerful navy, the US military wishes through space-based weapons, surveillance and tactical support, to exert an unequaled control over the rest of the world through their domination of space. To them space is the exhilarating 'new frontier' of war.

Canada plays a key part in this process as a large part of North America. And therefore, you as a Canadian, do also. The plans for NMD would place missiles in various northern parts of the country, and although the preliminary pitch had Canada contributing very little in terms of funds, the Department of National Defense(DND) has quietly set aside $500 million for the project should Canada sign on.

So the question now is what can we do to help stop this from happening. Paul Martin, our Prime Minister-to-be, is unfortunately in support of NMD as a show of our allegiance to the United States. Weighing that with the financial costs, the increased chance of attack to Canadians, and the ensuing political instability, really ask yourself if it's worth it. There's a poll on Paul Martin's site asking for people's opinion on NMD, check it out and make your view heard: (righthand side, half way down)

http://www.paulmartintimes.ca/home/default_e.asp

Bill Graham, our Minister of External Affairs, has been quoted, "NMD has nothing to do with the militarization of space." Vision for 2020 makes the connection between NMD and weapons in space painfully clear. So, either Mr. Graham is ignorant or lying, both of which are unacceptable from someone in the position he holds. You can contact him and tell him how you feel at:

Hon. Bill Graham, Minister of Foreign Affairs, House of Commons,Ottawa, Ontario,K1A 0A6

Telephone: (613) 992-5234 Fax: (613) 996-9607 E-Mail: Graham.B@parl.gc.ca

You can also express yourself to John McCallum, our Minister of National Defense, at:

John McCallum, Minister of National Defense, House of Commons, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0A6

Telephone: (613) 996-3374 Fax: (613) 992-3921 E-Mail: McCallum.J@parl.gc.ca

There are many groups out there that oppose NMD and the weaponization of space:

Centre for Defense Information(a thorough, 'just the facts' think tank based out of D.C.)

http://www.cdi.org/program/index.cfm?programid=6

People Against Weapons in Space(PAWS) , a little bias obviously:

http://www.space4peace.org/

No Weapons in Space(NOWIS): (here is a good article on Graham's statement) At the bottom of the article there is a link to a pdf premade free postage postcard to Mr. Graham that you can download, print, fill out, and send to him.

http://www.nowis.org/article/articleview/27/1/2/

Finally, I ask a favor of you all. Whether or not you agree or disagree with the aims of NMD, could you please send this on to everyone you can, I guess except the people who would yell at you for it, but then again, send it to them anyway!

After sincerely considering this issue, if you feel NMD and Canada's involvement in it are bad ideas, please sincerely consider the possible actions listed above. In less than five minutes you can vote on Paul Martin's site AND print off and send the already filled out postcard to Bill Graham! Do it, and you've already made a difference. And in reality the other options are just as easy, you can even come up with your own! You CAN make a difference, all you have do is care.