• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Twonz & Mike Huckaby @ Noctourne

soapy

TRIBE Promoter
good times. we got there just before 1 as Twonz was starting. he was throwing down some serious deep techno for the first bit of his set then moved to dirty big room tech house. by the end of his set the place had filled up and the dance floor was rocking! stellar mixing and an absolutely amazing track selection. Mike Huckaby started up with a volume boost and a selection of tough funky tech house. He was playing all vinyl and throwing down some unbelievable mixes. at some point the needles just started skipping and wouldn't stop. I felt really bad for him as there was nothing he could do. at one point about 15 mixes were totally wrecked and he would have to just switch the faders. he had to just give up mixing and switch the tunes for the rest of his set. he was a good sport about it though and everyone was still having fun. also the sound was loud but extremely low quality. still we had a great time and were very impressed with the tunes.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Not surprised - class lineup, but Nocturne is such a has-been venue. They could do so much more if they actually put some of the decor budget into sound and gear instead.

Mattyson

TRIBE Promoter
I too felt bad for Mike Huckaby. The tracks he was playing were pretty stellar though I must say! I hadn't even heard most of them before and it's always good to get out and dance to some fresh music. The venue did leave a lot to be desired but I still had fun in the end. I would also like to hear Twonz again as he was throwing down some serious stuff as well.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
Not surprised - class lineup, but Nocturne is such a has-been venue. They could do so much more if they actually put some of the decor budget into sound and gear instead.
both times Ive tried to play vinyl at Nocturne there were issues (both front room and back room). I've seen countless gigs where people have had issues with setting up laptops in various clubs, but Nocturne is the only in recent memory that caused such a hassle when the djs are simply trying to play vinyl.

that aside its not a bad club, they just need to have their shit working and tested before the nights begin to avoid buzzkilling moments like this.

diablo

TRIBE Member
I find it pretty bonkers that a club whose bread and butter is electronic music could have such a glaring problem at all, let alone for an international guest; odder still that it would just start randomly at some point in the night.

If it was a case of bass vibration, could they not tweak the system?

Like, was it a case of a pair of needles on their absolute last legs? Pretty shit form on the part of whoever was responsible for that!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Mattyson

TRIBE Promoter
I'm pretty sure Twonz did have a few tracking issues with the needles or the setup while he was spinning too. However, when the volume went up about 30-40 minutes into Mike's set, literally every record was skipping. I know they changed needles (or one of them) at one point but it did literally nothing. After this point Mike was simply mixing the very end of a track to a handfull of bars at the beginning of the next one to avoid the issues. It really did prevent what were sure to be awesome DEEP mixes as the tracks he was dropping were totally ill.

twonz

TRIBE Promoter
hey everyone, first off Erin and I would like to thank everyone for coming out. we had a lot of fun and it was great to see everyone dancing. in terms of sound, well, obviously this was disappointing. we did run a sound check before the show which actually went ok. our main concern were the dj monitors. for whatever reason, perhaps the proximity to the floor speakers, the louder the sound is the more distortion is present. based on that we kept the volume down for most of the night. we'd rather have it not loud enough than sound like shit. the skipping, this was new. while we heard it intermittently during ANA+ONE's set, the first set, we thought this was because of someone jumping heavy footed on the stage. then Arthur played, but he used a controller and not the turntables so we didn't hear it at all. it happened during my set and by the time Mike came on it was uncontrollable. we then thought the table's anti-skate was broken. this controls the needle from jumping across the record of it's own accord. closer inspection actually revealed the shit was melted off! not, broken but melted off! we did change a needle but the improvement was short lived. Spencer did mention they were rammed the night before so I can't imagine that that was going on and nobody noticed or said anything. in any case, we have all experienced various sound issues of some sort or another in that club. the only option for nocturne now is too upgrade their gear. it'll be interesting to see what happens with DJ Assault this weekend. anyway, thanks again for the support and we hope the next one goes off a little more smoothly.

peace.

T&E

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
Waited a bit too long for Mike to go on, but I understand why you would wait til 2am to start him up.

Unfortunately the wait wasn't worth it because I can't get into a groove with needles skating harder than Todd Bertuzzi.

But I feel for the crew as that would stress me out too, you could see them trying to fix it.

Mike was playing some great RECORDS though. Catching him spin back in 95(?) changed my life and for that I'm always thankful.

Tekno-Bot

TRIBE Promoter
DSE Episode 4 "Out Cold" with DJ Twonz of Hijacked Records Detroit

After a 2 month Dance Space Entertainment hiatus and officially have stationed our selves in Toronto Ontario (CAN). DSE goes on the scene with a few words with DJ Twonz of Hijacked Records Detroit at Nocturne Nightclub in Toronto Canada.

[YOUTUBE]nAPMeJ6Snt0[/YOUTUBE]

Stay tuned for live video performances of Mike Huckaby, Twonz, Arthur Oskan and ana+one posted right here through out the week. :D

Enjoy The Scene. ;-)

Last edited:

Tekno-Bot

TRIBE Promoter
ANA+ONE @ "OUT COLD" Hijacked Records Detroit Jan 21st 2011

[YOUTUBE]3Pv3yeA4U6o[/YOUTUBE]

ANA+ONE sets the vibe of the party chilled and lays down his tunes smoothly with his Deep sounds of Techno.

Check out the Dance Space Entertainment Fan Page on Facebook for all our covered events. :D

Enjoy The Scene. ;-)

Tekno-Bot

TRIBE Promoter
Arthur Oskan @ "OUT COLD" Hijacked Records Detroit Jan 21st 2011

[YOUTUBE]pzxZfe1VNNQ[/YOUTUBE]

Arthur Oskan goes on live warming up the vibe on this cold night laying down the sweet and jazzy Minimal Techno.

Stay tuned for more vids from the night though out the week, right here and check out the Dance Space Entertainment Fan Page on Facebook for all our covered events. :D

Enjoy The Scene. ;-)

Tekno-Bot

TRIBE Promoter
TWONZ @ "OUT COLD" Hijacked Records Detroit Jan 21st 2011

[YOUTUBE]esgKxUvtpVE[/YOUTUBE]
Twonz makes FIRE with 2 plastic plates, knowledge base, and his shiny watch as he lays down the Techno, Detroit style. You can't expect anything less from the man behind Hijacked Records Detroit, bringing the soul and funk proper to Toronto.

Enjoy The Scene. ;-)

Tekno-Bot

TRIBE Promoter
Mike Huckaby @ "OUT COLD" Hijacked Records Detroit Jan 21st 2011

[YOUTUBE]RiOw1A5rOGI[/YOUTUBE]

Legendary Mike Huckaby finishes the night off for Hijacked Records Detroit old skool style with the good, the old and fashioned sweet sounds of vinyl.

Enjoy The Scene. ;-)