• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

two questions re: noise

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
What's some good gear (or effects) to eliminate guitar amp noise, preaming to a soundcard? i'm asking because noise gate, and noise reduction seem to take away some of the sound quality (especially when there's gtr distortion involved). so, any ideas?

the other question is sort of wierd: I can input/play mono instruments (eg guitar) through my sound card (fw 410) but when I record, it doesn't pick up any sound (although I can hear it just fine). this only started happeneing recently and I have not changed any settings...what's the deal? should i uninstall/re-install the software? or is it a cubase problem?

hope the tech-savvy can be of some assistance....

J

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
when you start messing about with frequencies, the sound quality will inevitably be altered. you'll be eliminating good with the bad when filtering certain frequencies out.

the key is to not have to. cleaning your pots, repairing/replacing your gear etc. are the best ways to go about reducing noise.

as for the lack of recording, have you checked your buses?
i've had settings go wonky on me before.

i would recommend Live for recording. dirt simple, and loads of great fx for hours of real-time fun. i found cubase to be a tad buggy.

there's another way to reduce noise.. use plug-ins rather than pedals for guitar fx.

beaker

TRIBE Member
a gate set properly shouldn't colour the sound significantly. it's an on/off process. maybe your threshold isn't set correctly.

if you're using a broadband noise reduction plugin though, that would most likely do something significant to the sound.

Deus

TRIBE Member
Sal De Ban said:
the other question is sort of wierd: I can input/play mono instruments (eg guitar) through my sound card (fw 410) but when I record, it doesn't pick up any sound (although I can hear it just fine). this only started happeneing recently and I have not changed any settings...what's the deal? should i uninstall/re-install the software? or is it a cubase problem?
J
In Cubase make sure that you have the right input selected. If you have an input activated the sound will come though and you will hear it. Howver, if you want to record it, in the Audio channel strip, you have to specify which input you want to record from. If you have a sound card with more than 1 input, you might have it configured icorrectly.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders