• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

two computer questions in one

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
first off..

I love Windows Explorer, but I hate the version that comes with XP.
Does anyone know how to stop it from auto-collapsing folders when you click away from them?
Also, how do I stop .ZIP files from being shown in the left hand side?? (both of these problems are TREMENDOUSLY bothering me)

Second.
I am behind a router, so I setup the router software to allow my ftp site. People that are NOT behind a network (ie, just a straight internet connection) can connect to me and download without a hitch.. however, people from behind a network cannot connect to me. Are there specific ports that I have to release for PASV to work??? Is this even a PASV issue?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

deep

TRIBE Member
I don't understand your first question..?

My folders don't auto collapse

What do you mean by zip files showing up on the left hand side? You mean in Explorer they show up in the list of folders when you expand a drive or a folder?

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
explorer.jpg

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
the .zip file is sitting in my documents, but it shows up in the folder list.. it's bothering me :)

and yeah.. if i single-click say "my documents" in the left pane, it automatically opens.. and then if I go and click on "my computer" in the left pane it closes my documents first and then opens my computer

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

deep

TRIBE Member
click on the plus sign instead of the folder to expand it, and it will stay expanded

I don't think you can get rid of zip files showing up in the folder list (might want to search on that - maybe there's a way) ... xp has zip file support built into the operating system. even if you use a third party compressor as I do (winrar) the icons are still displayed, so it's something to do with the shell. maybe there's a tweaking program i.e. powertoys tweakui or x-teq x-setup that will let you change this

Photon

TRIBE Member
not sure about the first question but the for the second:

I am using Bulletproof FTP Server and in the server set-up there is a Multi IP setting and I have to check the box that says Passive mode IP and set a range of ports to be passive(in the software) and I have the same ports open on my router. Also the people that are behind a firewall have to set their FTP client software to passive as well. Hope that helps.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stir-fry
the .zip file is sitting in my documents, but it shows up in the folder list.. it's bothering me :)

and yeah.. if i single-click say "my documents" in the left pane, it automatically opens.. and then if I go and click on "my computer" in the left pane it closes my documents first and then opens my computer

That's weird, I don't see .zip files in my folder list.

As for the second problem maybe you can select double click instead of single click?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by stir-fry
first off..

I love Windows Explorer, but I hate the version that comes with XP.
Does anyone know how to stop it from auto-collapsing folders when you click away from them?
Also, how do I stop .ZIP files from being shown in the left hand side?? (both of these problems are TREMENDOUSLY bothering me)

Second.
I am behind a router, so I setup the router software to allow my ftp site. People that are NOT behind a network (ie, just a straight internet connection) can connect to me and download without a hitch.. however, people from behind a network cannot connect to me. Are there specific ports that I have to release for PASV to work??? Is this even a PASV issue?

I am not sure about your first question cuz I am not giving it much though at the moment.

For the second question I would say if you are using one NIC card for both your internal and external connections and the router has not segragated your outside world from the inside then you may want to make sure that for internal use you have the same workgroup/domain for all machines. This is of course if you are just trying to browse your network and have users get to your machine/folder. Also make sure the permisions are set correctly. Internally you should not have to set the share but you should see your machine from another on the same domain.

Go to network neighbourhood, do a browse or search and look for computers on your network/workgroup.

Sometimes you need to reboot to if all is correct.

The FTP side of it should work if you are doing based on IP.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Photon
not sure about the first question but the for the second:

I am using Bulletproof FTP Server and in the server set-up there is a Multi IP setting and I have to check the box that says Passive mode IP and set a range of ports to be passive(in the software) and I have the same ports open on my router. Also the people that are behind a firewall have to set their FTP client software to passive as well. Hope that helps.

this stuff all existed in serv-u, so I think that's going to solve my problem.

thanks!

~atp~

TRIBE Member
A quick lesson on PASV/ACTIVE connections:

In passive mode (PASV), when an FTP client sends a request for a file to an FTP server, the client additionally sends a PORT command which tells the server that it needs to connect to the client. The client thus waits by opening a port and the server initiates the connection.

In active mode, it is reversed: the client initiates a TCP connection with the server. This is a real problem when your server sits behind a firewall that doesn't allow TCP SYN connections from the outside. So, unless you're forwarding ports, you should operate in PASV mode.

:)