1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Tv

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by matty, Aug 25, 2003.

1. matty

matty TRIBE Member

2 hours a day x 365 days a year x 65 year tv career (10-75) = 47450 hours in a lifetime. That's the equivalent of watching tv for 16 hours a day every day for over 8 years. And that's just 2 hours a day, I know a lot of people who watch way more.

Think of all the things you could accomplish if you used that 47450 hours doing something else like learning an instrument, writing, dancing, reading, or talking with other people who aren't watching TV.

Food for thought.

2. labRat

labRat TRIBE Member

i prefer to spend my time in front of the computOR thank you.

3. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

I watch maybe 1 or 2 hours of TV a week.

Better things to do during the summer.

4. Agatka8

Agatka8 TRIBE Member

I tell small children...that T.V. will suck their brain out.

5. smilez

smilez TRIBE Member

the only time I watch tv is when I'm doing cardio at the gym. and as talented as I am I don't think I'd be able to learn how to play an instrument while running:p

Melissa

6. Syntax Error

Syntax Error Well-Known TRIBEr

tv is the radium of the classes.

7. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

Futurama/Family Guy are in in one hour and 15 minutes. can't wait. taking a break from computer/packing

Bumbaclat

8. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

hate it.

9. Agatka8

Agatka8 TRIBE Member

I personally prefer listening to Public Radio International.

10. tablist

tablist TRIBE Member

I only ussualy watch around four hours per week. Monday Night RAW, and the Smacketh Down.

<<<<< Big wrestling geek.

11. PRIMAL

PRIMAL TRIBE Member

I watch a lot of tv. More than two hours a day for sure. Not every day. But I do find myself knowing almost every commercial that airs. :(

12. Nesta

Nesta TRIBE Member

damn, you don't want to scare the shit out of them! :D

13. dicksherwood

dicksherwood TRIBE Member

me too, there is very little on that doesn't insult my intelligence.

although I have developed a nasty little Paradise Hotel craving since that Keith dude came on, finally someone on the boober-toober that does things the way I would.

Anyway other than that the only thing that gets me in front of the idiot box are newsworld (which occurs less as they keep improving their website) and sports, especially basketball, football, hockey and golf although baseball and tennis will work if there's a team or particular player that catches my interest.

There's just so much else to do and so little time to do it. I'm not really sure what networks can do to get me back since I'm positive this Paradise Hotel thing won't last with me much longer if that Amy chick gets any more annoying. Stop catering to the lowest common denominator might be a good start.

14. Agatka8

Agatka8 TRIBE Member

oh I do.

and when they don't believe me.... I make them watch Poltergeist
    :p

15. Bumbaclat

Bumbaclat TRIBE Member

50 minutes

16. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

Yeah, switching back to Tribe is far more productive. :p

17. Temper Tantrum

Temper Tantrum TRIBE Member

So down with the futurama/family guy combo!

yyaaayyy

~allie~

18. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

Somewhere along the way the the programs became the filler & the advertisements became the content.

TV's not a bad thing entirely, unintentionally I absorb it as it's always on in the backround when others are watching, but I find it too easy to do better things with my time.

19. matty

matty TRIBE Member

From Food of the Gods by Terrence McKenna

------

In his science fiction novel The man in the High Castle, Philip K. Dick imagined an alternative world in which World War II and been won by the Japanese and the Third Reich. In Dick's fictional world, the Japanese occupation authorities introduced and legalized marijuana as one of their first moves at pacifying the population of California. Things are hardly less strange here in what conventional wisdom lightheartedly refers to as 'reality'. In 'this world,' too, the victors introduced an all-pervasive, ultra powerful society shaping drug. This drug was the first in a growing group of high-technology drugs that deliver the user into an alternative reality by acting on the users sensorium, without chemicals being introduced into the nervous system. IT was television. No epidemic or religious hysteria has ever moved faster or made as many converts in so short a time.

The nearest analogy to the addictive power of television and the transformation of values that is wrought in the life of the heavy user is probably heroin. Heroin flattens the image; with heroin, things are neither hot nor cold; the junkie looks out at the world certain that whatever it is, it does not matter. The illusion of knowing and of control that heroin engenders is analogous to the unconscious assumption of the television consumer that what is seen is 'real' somewhere in the world. IN fact, what is seen are the cosmetically needed surfaces of products. Television, while chemically non-invasive, nevertheless is every bit as addictive and physiologically damaging as any other drug.

Not unlike drugs or alcohol, the television experience allows the participant to blot out the real world and enter into a pleasurable and passive mental state. The worries and anxieties of reality are as effectively deferred by becoming absorbed in a television program as by going on a 'trip' induced by drugs or alcohol. And just as alcoholics are only vaguely aware of their addiction, feeling that they control their drinking more than they really do...people similarly over estimate their control over television watching... Finally it is the adverse effect of television viewing on the lives of so many people that defines it as a serious addiction. The television habit distorts the sense of time. IT renders other experiences vague and curiously unreal while taking on a greater reality for itself. It weakens relationships by reducing and sometimes eliminating normal opportunities for talking, for communicating.

Most unsettling of all is this: the content of television is not a vision but a manufactured data stream that can be sanitized to 'protect' or impose cultural values. Thus we are confronted with an addictive and all-pervasive drug that delivers an experience whose message is whatever those who deal the drug wish it to be. Could anything provide a more fertile ground for fostering fascism and totalitarianism than this? In the United States, there are many more televisions that households, the average television set is on six hours a day, and the average person watches nearly five hours a day, nearly one third of their waking time. Aware as we all are of these simple facts, we seem unable to react to their implications. Serious study of the effects of television on health and culture has only begun recently. Yet no drug in history has so quickly or completely isolated the entire culture of it's users from contact with reality. And no drug in history has so completely succeeded in remaking in it's own image the values of the culture that it has infected.

Television is by nature the dominator drug par excellence. Control of content, uniformity of content, repeatability of content make it inevitable an tool of coercion, brainwashing, and manipulation. Television induces a trance state in the viewer that is the necessary precondition for brainwashing. As with all other drugs and technologies, televisions basic character can not be changed; television is no more reform able than in the technology that produces automatic assault rifles.

-------

Blackout 2003 -> the day the power went out on my TV for ever.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2003
  20. diego

diego TRIBE Member

I have TV in my bathroom just like puff daddy.
    So i don't have to pause the movie.
    :D

21. matty

matty TRIBE Member

At least Tripe is a 2 way street and not a box that I sit prone in front of while it bleets away at me for hours on end.

And what's the deal with reality tv? Doesn't everyone who watches this crap realize that the act of observation changes that which is being observed. Family Ties is just as real as the Resturant / Marry my Dad / For Love or Money type shows that some people delude themselves into thinking are some sort of accurate representation of 'reality'.

22. Ditto Much

Ditto Much TRIBE Member

dude thats nothing

15 when I get up
    15 before I get to bed

almost two years of my life spend and we don't even want to talk about whats I'm doing!!!

23. seeker

seeker TRIBE Member

Unconsciously, I've begun to treat my television consumption like I treat my consumption of other intoxicants. I say unconsciously, because I've been doing it for about year now, but I didn't make the connection until reading the Terrence McKenna excerpt above.

I value the enjoyment and experience I get from using drugs and alcohol, just like I value the exprience from taking a walk, having a good conversation, or reading a good book. I also really enjoy watching a great movie.

I also prefer to enjoy each of these things in an aesthetically pleasing manner: I like to drink Cabernet wines, because I like the spiciness and tannins; I prefer walking in the woods to the meadows, because the way the light filters through the canopy is pleasing; I like to watch a good movie because in hopes of immersion and stimulation.

But I couldn't fill my life up with the best bud, or the best beer, or the best movies. I certainly couldn't fill it up with regular television programming.

24. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member

TV's interactive too...you change channels, volume, sometimes mute. Then there's the old favourite - previous channel button.

25. Balzz

Balzz TRIBE Member