• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

TV tuner card not seeing any channels

bucky

TRIBE Member
Bought a cheap TV Tuner/Capture card, has a Phillips SAA7130 chipset.. hooked the thing up, hooked up cable, autoscan for channels, not seeing any. Had a splitter in the mix, so just hooked up the main cable line directly to the card. Nothing. I hooked up my camcorder to the card and get video with that. Anyone have any ideas? Am I missing something, or could the card just not be any good? I doubt that, but could be possible.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Did you set the tv tuner software to the proper input?

Mine has a coax, s-video and composite input and i have to switch between them depending on the source that i want to watch (dvd player, cable tv, etc)

romstah

TRIBE Member
if you're trying to capture/watch digital cable most likely it will be encrypted, your only solution is using a cable box and use the output (svideo/composite) from that into your capture card or get a device like this

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

bucky

TRIBE Member
stir-fry said:
Did you set the tv tuner software to the proper input?

Mine has a coax, s-video and composite input and i have to switch between them depending on the source that i want to watch (dvd player, cable tv, etc)
yup, set all that, still nothing.

it's not a digital signal.

i'll have to contact the person i got it from, maybe it's just bad. seems like it really should be as cut and dry as "hook up coax, scan for channels, watch!"

watanabee

TRIBE Member
I'm just catching on to watching TV on a computer and am considering either getting a LCD TV and attaching my computer with a video-out to that and using it to watch TV and compute or as another route buying a large monitor and a TV Tuner + new graphics card and doing it that way.

Are there any benifits to getting the LCDTV over a monitor, what do regular computer programs look like on a TV instead of a monitor and what is the quality of TV like on a Monitor and tv tuner?