1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

TV technology which one's the best?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by kyfe, Oct 17, 2005.

1. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

Now that CRTs are going the way of the 8 track and audio tape, I have been looking into gettting a new TV but I am a little confused. It seems there are many different technologies that are vying to become the new industry standard.

you have Plasmas, DLPs, LCD's, EDTV's etc etc..

I've looked a several different ones but really have no idea which direction I'm going to head in, I was thinking DLP but I really don't know.

Essentially I want a 42-50 inch TV that is an HDTV (not just compatible), I watch alot of movies, some TV and do a little gaming (3hrs/week) I would also like to hook up my computer to the TV.

anyone have an idea which direction I should head in? IF you have a TV to recommend also feel free to do so but right now I'm more concerned about what type of TV to get.

Kyfe

2. Sleepy Giant

Sleepy Giant TRIBE Member

Thank you kyfe for starting this thread. I was thinking about starting one last night.

LCD's used to suck for watching sports, the screen wasnt' fast enough and you would get 'artifacts' on the screen.

Other than that, I know nothing about the differences between DLP, Plasma or EDTV.

3. randyval

randyval TRIBE Member

plasma tvs do not show true black

4. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

Shawn, yuo've seen what the DLP tv can do at my house, why would you even bother looking at anything else?

Price, performance, size, it's all there.

5. coleridge

coleridge TRIBE Member

I've heard there are big problems with burn-in on plasma tvs. Just watching TV with the black bars on the side will burn them into the scree. Sony's stopped making plasma alltogether as their units were only lasting a couple of years.

6. gsnuff

gsnuff TRIBE Promoter

did I mention I don't own a television?

7. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

then leave the thread.

8. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

yep.. DLP is perfect.. i LOVE my DLP.

9. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

i've seen these burnins first hand.... the tv's mounted here at work have them.... got them about a year after they were installed..

10. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

I love that TV it's big and beautiful. To answer your question I was at best buy this weekend just to see what is out there and honestly the best looking pictures were on the plasmas specifiacally the Hitachi Toshiba and Pioneer brands.

I know what I know and have been leaning towards DLP for the past 6 mths when contemplating the subject. My question was more so which technology will end up being the VHS and which ones will end up being BETAs. This is the reason I never bought a mini disk because it's never been the preferred technology.

11. Sleepy Giant

Sleepy Giant TRIBE Member

Kuba,

What tv did you buy?

12. Vise

Vise TRIBE Member

I think price/performance wise you really can't beat DLP, I've had my Samsung (56") for about 8 months now and couldn't be happier. The new 1080p Samsung's look amazing, will have to wait at least a year or two before I upgrade though... :D

Futureshop has a great deal right now, $2299 for a 52" LG DLP... probably doesn't come with a stand but its a good price.

13. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

roommate bought the samsung 54 inch dlp. it's fucking amazing, the best looking tv out there in my opinion, even better than the 42'' pioneer hd plasma my brother has. FAR better in fact. brighter, crisper, etc etc. Plasma, I'd say, is going to be the betamax of the tv world.

14. SENSEi

SENSEi TRIBE Promoter

I have a Hitachi 52 inch HD digital rear projection that is almost 2 years old.

I love it and have no complaints about convergance, colour or resolution.

Considering the price difference between it, plasma and LCD there was no contest.

I figure in 5 years the standard will be chosen and will be a lot cheaper. That's when I'll probably think about moving up.

Till then, I just don't think it's worth it. Right now, I'd say that's where the value is.

15. gsnuff

gsnuff TRIBE Promoter

<woosh>

16. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

i grabbed the Sony 50" Grand Wega DLP about 5 months ago... picture is immaculate... great looking tv... and works awesome as an extended desktop on my computer for watching Divx movies/tv shows and playin games

i'd highly recommend it.. my dad and my sister both bought the same tv and rave about it as well

17. FLIRT Crew

FLIRT Crew TRIBE Member

if money is no object, the Sharp Aquos 45" LCD is the best screen I've ever tested. my other advice would be to stay away from plasma. they burn too fast, have really low natives, and ghost too much. i managed to burn a Sony plasma in *1* day will some extensive tests.

18. Snapper

Snapper TRIBE Member

I thought it was a Toshiba, no?

19. bitchass

bitchass TRIBE Member

Great thread, Costco has a Samsung DLP that I'm interested in but haven't been able to commit to yet. My old Trinitron just died and I wasn't sure what to buy so I picked up a 27" Wega for $365. Bargain of the year and will hold me off until I decide which bigscreen I will go with. In all honesty, I haven't seen a big screen that looks better than a CRT Wega.

20. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

the new sony XBR is SXRD which is, apparently, the first television to use the full HD (1920 x 1080) resolution. i have a nagging itch to replace my existing XBR with the 60" version of this new XBR bad boy.

Sony’s SXRD (Silicon Crystal Reflective Display) is the world’s first micropixel television to recreate full High-Definition 1920 x 1080 resolution, making it the definitive choice for home theatre enthusiasts. Delivering film-like images, an industry-leading contrast ratio, and unsurpassed colour reproduction, SXRD is unique from traditional micro display devices.

Ideal for Home Theatre, broadcast television and regular daytime viewing, the enhanced picture of SXRD is perfect for any lighting environment, delivering an outstanding image.

Its optical engine features three separate SXRD panels – one for red, one for green, and one for blue. These colours appear on-screen simultaneously for greater stability and accuracy. Colour is consistently vivid, flesh tones are amazingly lifelike, and flicker is never a problem.

21. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

What's the pricetag on one of those Will?

22. The Watcher

The Watcher TRIBE Member

DLP tv's are good because if it breaks, you can just replace the DLP unit, you dont have to replace the whole TV.

23. Vise

Vise TRIBE Member

Sony doesn't do DLP, the Grand Wega's are LCD projection. Samsung, LG, Toshiba, Panasonic, and a few other companies do DLP. Sony, Hitachi, and some others are LCD projection only. Generally they are pretty similar so in most cases it comes down to personal preference, I was debating between the Grand Wega 55" and Samsung 56", but thought the DLP was brighter/crisper in some situations so went that route.

24. MalGlo

MalGlo TRIBE Member

haha ya you're right... see thats why i shouldn't post while on a conference call... :)

25. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member