• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Turntables

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
So I just came into about 100 old hip hop and house records. (deep heat 89' y'all) and I would like to get a basic turntable to play them on or direct my wife in the right direction for a Christmas gift.

Are there turntables that you can plug into a sound bar or not need a receiver for?

I just want a basic turntable to listen and play around on. No need for me to try and become a DJ.

Thanks

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
Most turntables require a phono stage: either a stand-alone preamplifier (like a NAD PP2) or a phono-specific amplifier built into your amp or mixer.

Unless, of course, you decide to go the usb turntable route.

I, for one, don't really like the usb turntables. They're cheap and they defeat the whole purpose of listening to analogue recordings. But if you don't share those concerns, ION, Stanton and Numark all make USB tables.

For my money, I'd get a NAD PP2 and a Pro-ject Debut III. It's more expensive than going to Goodwill, by a long shot, but if you're interested in listening to records, this is a good entry level set up. The table comes with an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge and stylus.

Anything of a lesser quality and you're into the discount set ups, like this one: Denon DP-29F. They have these at Sonic Boom as listening stations and they sound terrible.

OR

For $350 you can probably pick up a used Tech 12 and a basic mixer (which you could use as your preamp) in the Buy and Sell forum.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
Most turntables require a phono stage: either a stand-alone preamplifier (like a NAD PP2) or a phono-specific amplifier built into your amp or mixer.

Unless, of course, you decide to go the usb turntable route.

I, for one, don't really like the usb turntables. They're cheap and they defeat the whole purpose of listening to analogue recordings. But if you don't share those concerns, ION, Stanton and Numark all make USB tables.

For my money, I'd get a NAD PP2 and a Pro-ject Debut III. It's more expensive than going to Goodwill, by a long shot, but if you're interested in listening to records, this is a good entry level set up. The table comes with an Ortofon 2M Red cartridge and stylus.

Anything of a lesser quality and you're into the discount set ups, like this one: Denon DP-29F. They have these at Sonic Boom as listening stations and they sound terrible.

OR

For $350 you can probably pick up a used Tech 12 and a basic mixer (which you could use as your preamp) in the Buy and Sell forum.
I forgot to mention that I picked up the Pro-ject Debut III and the NAD PP2 a while back and its been a great investment! As I sit here listing to The Low End Theory