1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Turducken...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by unique2100, Oct 7, 2005.

1. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

A friend posted this elsewhere...

So, for awhile now I've been sorta obsessed with the turducken. Its a turkey stuffed with a duck stuffed with a chicken with two kinds of stuffing. A complete gastric monstrosity, it takes 12 hours to cook and even longer to prepare. Many people believe it had its start in the south in the late 80's created by Louisiana Chef Paul Prudhomme, but upon digging you find the similarities with the turducken and a similar dish the turkey royale from Europe make it more likely an American apprpriation. Since its meteoric rise to fame in the early 90's it has since gone through other interesting variations such as the pigturducken and in South Africa the ostritchturducken.

Nevertheless, every xmas and thanksgiving I've always spent the week prior thinking "THIS will be the year. This will be the year I make a turducken!" But it always fizzles out. Partly due to the labour, partly due to the cost (making one right could run you up to $100), but mostly because the thing is a monster feeding 20 people.

Living in Vancouver has made the prospect even more unlikely seeing as everyones a freaking hippy and those that arent vegetarian/vegan/lacto-octo would still insist on organic free range everything, as if the process werent hard enough.

So, although it saddens me to say it, this thanksgiving year will be no different.

But one day, mark my words, the turducken will be mine.

2. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

my mom wants to make one of these for x-mas...i smell disaster.....

3. junglegirl

junglegirl TRIBE Member

ugh..dont know if i could eat that.

4. basketballjones

supposedly the duck keeps everything nice and juicy....

5. C-NiCE

C-NiCE TRIBE Promoter

Deep fried Turducken.

Now that is something to shoot for!

6. kat

kat TRIBE Member

youre a turducken..

but this isnt a nawberry thread ;p

7. basketballjones

one of my friends did that....in a huge drum...outside in his garage....worked out amazing from what he said.....

8. kat

kat TRIBE Member

also, i want a pigturducken..

chan clan, i propose a night of beer and foodstuffery. make it happen.

9. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

10. Persephone

Persephone TRIBE Member

I am dying to try the turducken!

11. Chicago Kid

Chicago Kid TRIBE Member

Crazy, my bro wants to buy or cook some for Monday's feast. This is the fucking sensation that's sweeping the nation.

12. chooch

chooch TRIBE Member

hhmmm what if you started and stuffed as so......

boiled egg>cornish game hen>chicken>duck>turkey>pig>sheep>goat>cow> water buffalo...

what would that be called?

edit: a disaster...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2005
  13. g0nz0

g0nz0 TRIBE Member

the saudi's one up the turducken

14. chooch

chooch TRIBE Member

hahaha!

AAAIIIWWWWAAAA!

nice...a dinner you can invited the entire town to!

15. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

And how big of an angry mob would it serve?

16. alcid

alcid TRIBE Member

pythogator?

17. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

allithon