• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Tunisia sentences British DJ for Muslim prayer remix

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
_95493181_dj.jpg
A Tunisian court has sentenced a British DJ to a year in jail after he played a dance remix of the Muslim call to prayer.

The DJ, known as Dax J, was charged with public indecency and offending public morality.

He has already fled the country, and made a public apology.

The nightclub was shut down after footage of the weekend's event was shared on social media and sparked outrage.

A court spokesperson told AFP news agency that the court dismissed charges against the nightclub owner and an event organiser, but the prosecution has appealed saying the two should have checked what the DJ would be playing.

The event was part of Orbit Festival in Nabeul in the country's north-east.

The footage showed clubbers dancing to music played by two European DJs.

The music included a dance version of the call to prayer, the religious act that Muslims perform five times a day.

"We will not allow attacks against religious feelings and the sacred," the governor of Nabeul, Mnaouar Ouertani, said when the club was shut down.

Earlier in the week, the organisers of the Orbit Festival apologised in a post on the event's Facebook page, but said that they did not accept responsibility for the playing of any offensive music.

The DJ "did not realise it might offend an audience from a Muslim country like ours," they said in the post (in French).

Dax J has offered his "sincere apologies to anyone who may have been offended by music that I played at Orbit Festival in Tunisia on Friday".

"It was never my intention to upset or cause offence to anybody," he said.

from the BBC
Tunisia sentences British DJ for Muslim prayer remix - BBC News

Stop Bill C-10

praktik

TRIBE Member
Tunisia is a pretty mixed up place at least for every guy like the judge there's a bunch more modern minded, chill people there

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Tunisia is a pretty mixed up place at least for every guy like the judge there's a bunch more modern minded, chill people there
yeah, blame the judge for the laws the leaders enacted.

"We will not allow attacks against religious feelings and the sacred," the governor of Nabeul, Mnaouar Ouertani, said when the club was shut down.

sounds a bit like our own m-103 once the "studies" are done and recommendations are made to change laws to match the findings
unless they song started with fuck your religious prayers i dont see how a remix of the call to prayer is anything to be jailed for. but that is my opinion and i dont believe in sky fairies or tossing ppl in jail for the smallest "crime" against said sky fairies or the sky fairy followers practices

praktik

TRIBE Member
I've worked with a lot of tunisians is all. Its got a smart, modern population is all I'm saying.

So for all the fundies there, lots of cool people too.

I dunno what you're talking about with this "blame" language? I dont even think you're reading my posts sometimes.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
the judge has to enforce the laws of the land. in muslim countries the law of the land is anything deemed to be against islam is a crime. how else was he supposed to rule? your circle of friends is most likely not the majority in Tunisia. you use the word fundies to soften the intolerant ideologues is cute

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
the judge has to enforce the laws of the land. in muslim countries the law of the land is anything deemed to be against islam is a crime. how else was he supposed to rule? your circle of friends is most likely not the majority in Tunisia. you use the word fundies to soften the intolerant ideologues is cute

I wasn't blaming anyone you twit!

Was saying the judge and ruling is an example of the fundie side of society - i was pointing out that Tunisia is a lot more than just judges like that and rulings like this. Very young, modern population who aren't all on the same page with this kind of stuff. After all, lots of em were out dancing to DJs that night.

Why do you have to be such an asshole when reading my posts? You always twist them into some shit you can use to jump on me. Like im responding to posts written in response to me that have nothing to do with my intent or meaning when I wrote them originally. I have no idea what you're talking about in the quote here about the judge and "enforcing laws".

Try being more charitable and not being a douche.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
I wasn't blaming anyone you twit!

Was saying the judge and ruling is an example of the fundie side of society - i was pointing out that Tunisia is a lot more than just judges like that and rulings like this. Very young, modern population who aren't all on the same page with this kind of stuff. After all, lots of em were out dancing to DJs that night.

Why do you have to be such an asshole when reading my posts? You always twist them into some shit you can use to jump on me. Like im responding to posts written in response to me that have nothing to do with my intent or meaning when I wrote them originally. I have no idea what you're talking about in the quote here about the judge and "enforcing laws".

Try being more charitable and not being a douche.
i respond to what you type. not what you intended to say. the laws are the laws and the judge enforced them. it doesnt matter what you think as you dont live there and you arent a law maker there. clearly the majority of the population is in favor of said laws. ignorance of the law is not a defense in any country so the dj should have checked the mood of the political/religious scene before he decided to play a tune with the call to islamic prayer in a country that has zero tolerance for anything that doesnt follow whatever crazy laws they have for it. if the population was like how you are painting them to be then they would have worked to change the laws of that nature. remember when grooverider got busted in dubai for weed...he should have known better as he had been there before. that doesnt mean he didnt break THEIR laws(not ours, well, no matter what trudea said he was gonna do he hasnt legalized weed yet)and was subject to whatever their law states is the punishment for the crime. i feel for the dj but you cant fault the judge for his ruling.

EltrikSoulCntlr

TRIBE Member
Before the "trial" Dax J received so many death threats on his FB page and Twitter accounts that he had to shut them down.

Can you guess who was making the threats? I'll give a clue... its a religion of peace.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Some folks just wanna stay in the dark ages. This could have been a window to modernization and acceptance. The world would be a better place if people just called out EVERY style of sky fairy worship for the complete and utter bullshit it is. ...but there's still a debate about who's big cock in the ether is most relevant. Just absolute silliness.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
every major religion has had a reformation and gotten with the times, except for one. the religion of piece, piece of you here, a piece of you there ;)

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
It's disrespectful - who knows wtf he was thinking. Did he think he was paying a tribute to the Muslim culture? LOL NOPE. If extremists killed a CARTOONIST OVER AN ILLUSTRATION wtf did he think was going to happen when he played that track? Absolute dumbass. You would think people would learn how to respect a religion. There are still tourists going to Dubai and fucking on the beaches. There are still tourists going to Thailand and ruining their country. The issue is that Western people still behave as if they can do whatever they want, where ever they go in the world with zero repercussions.

Tunisia scene was already on a crack down with the scene there and this just put the nail in the coffin, gave the issue international coverage that it desperately needed.

Blysspluss

TRIBE Member
It's their country. Whatever my opinion about organized religion may be is irrelevant when I visit them. They've got their laws, and it's not reasonable to just flout them because they aren't the same as where I live. This is a group of people who choose to be ruled this way. They have every right to do so. It is not my place to fuck with that as a visitor.(If I expect no repercussions)

Same reason the more obtuse Canadians say shit like "If you don't like our laws, go back to your home country"...or some variation thereof.

And really, there's fundamentalists of every stripe in the world. Hence the "utter BS" when it comes to reformation. But I have no intention of jumping into the loop of racist/anti-religious shite that ALWAYS ensues online. I'm not part of any OR, but I do have my own set of beliefs that drive me to be who I am. Some folks dig ones that have already been laid out, others choose a different path. S'ok. We'll be fine.

praktik

TRIBE Member
It's their country. Whatever my opinion about organized religion may be is irrelevant when I visit them. They've got their laws, and it's not reasonable to just flout them because they aren't the same as where I live. Hence utter BS. This is a group of people who choose to be ruled this way. They have every right to do so. It is not my place to fuck with that as a visitor.(If I expect no repercussions)

Same reason the more obtuse Canadians say shit like "If you don't like our laws, go back to your home country"...or some variation thereof.

And really, there's fundamentalists of every stripe in the world. Hence the "utter BS" when it comes to reformation. But I have no intention of jumping into the loop of racist/anti-religious shite that ALWAYS ensues online. I'm not part of any OR, but I do have my own set of beliefs that drive me to be who I am. Some folks dig ones that have already been laid out, others choose a different path. S'ok. We'll be fine.

7327498536_e7eceaebf0_b.jpg

praktik

TRIBE Member
Before the "trial" Dax J received so many death threats on his FB page and Twitter accounts that he had to shut them down.

Can you guess who was making the thre

Can you guess who was making the threats? I'll give a clue... its a religion of peace.

ats? I'll give a clue... its a religion of peace.

You mean, some members of a religion did those things.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
It's their country. Whatever my opinion about organized religion may be is irrelevant when I visit them. They've got their laws, and it's not reasonable to just flout them because they aren't the same as where I live. This is a group of people who choose to be ruled this way. They have every right to do so. It is not my place to fuck with that as a visitor.(If I expect no repercussions)

that is what i said at the beginning of this thread. no matter how much we dont like it it is their laws. whining about it from here does nothing