• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

TTC workers need a voice!

Genesius

TRIBE Member
I just fired off an email to my City Council and my MPP expressing my concern for the TTC workers.... yeah they may be overpaid and under worked, but I don't think they have been heard by their management. I don't think they should be forced to work permanent night shifts... This can have a tremendous toll on families and personal health... all for better TTC economics. I for one think that times are changing and we will be asked to work longer hours, more nights, more shift work as the global economy begins to expand. And I want the TTC workers to be heard. I'm glad they organized the way they did and I hope you will voice your opinion to your local politiker.

Big Harv

TRIBE Member
Genesius said:
I just fired off an email to my City Council and my MPP expressing my concern for the TTC workers.... yeah they may be overpaid and under worked, but I don't think they have been heard by their management. I don't think they should be forced to work permanent night shifts... This can have a tremendous toll on families and personal health... all for better TTC economics. I for one think that times are changing and we will be asked to work longer hours, more nights, more shift work as the global economy begins to expand. And I want the TTC workers to be heard. I'm glad they organized the way they did and I hope you will voice your opinion to your local politiker.
Some of the maintenance on the TTC needs to be done in the middle of the night when the trains aren't operating (just like a lot of highway work is done overnight). This is a bona fide and very reasonable job requirement. They are not forced to do anything - if they don't like working the night shift, they are free find a job elsewhere in the company and if not, outside of the comapny in the labour market in a job that better suits their non-nocturnal capabilities/lifestyle. Why should jobs and positional requirements supposed to be guaranteed for life? Let's not be like the French and their backwards labour mentality that is killing their economy.

The TTC union has a right to organize, but to strike illegally like they did today, screwing hundreds and thousands of workers, including many who can't afford to drive to work and must rely on public transportation, who have different mindsets, ie. who have ambition, who want to work hard and build their careers, than those workers who you admit are overpaid and underworked, is completely indefensible.

instead of your suggestion I recommend lobbying the city of toronto to bring a class action lawsuit against the union for the illegal strike and for forcing people to lose income due to missing work/being late for work or pay cab fares to make it on time

I have clients in Hong Kong, Europe - that's the great thing about my job but it also means working overy odd hours occasionally. Not every job in this world fits into the 9-5 mold - there is no sense whining about it; we live in 2006 not 1966.

deafplayer

TRIBE Member
remember, big harv is not worth reading

edit: and I agree... why shouldnt someone's livelihood be a primary concern in decisions that directly hugely affect it? in fact why shouldnt they be primary participants in the decision-making?

Last edited:

Big Harv

TRIBE Member
deafplayer said:
remember, big harv is not worth reading

edit: and I agree... why shouldnt someone's livelihood be a primary concern in decisions that directly hugely affect it? in fact why shouldnt they be primary participants in the decision-making?
sure, attack the messenger, but ignore the message.

Issues like shift management and health&safety of the workers are dealt with by union reps on behalf of the union members when they hammer home collective agreements. Unionized members can and do actively participate by (a) electing their union reps and (b) bringing a grievance under the collective agreement if they feel that their shift allocation is unfair. If every transit worker and every manager participated in the CA negotiation, nothing would ever be accomplished.

Adam

TRIBE Member
Big Harv said:
ie. who have ambition, who want to work hard and build their careers, than those workers who you admit are overpaid and underworked, is completely indefensible.
TTC workers don't have ambition or want to build their careers? I don't think this kind of swipe is fair or particularly necessary.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
the TTC is facing a shortfall,

they have massive pension obligations but are hiring less and less staff who can contribute to the ongoing pension demands.

alot of these actions are stemming from the bigger issue of an aging TTC staff that is having more and more problems enacting change in the system.

fares keep going up, yet service is no better or faster, and the sheppard line was largely funded by 3 levels of government, the TTC cant offer that progress as proof of their sound business practice.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
I think Premier McGuinty summed it up nicely: "What really counts here is that with the right to bargain collectively comes the responsibility to respect that collective agreement and when you don't do that then you are breaking the law.'' (link)

Mayor Miller said basically the same thing, but I couldn't find an exact quote.

jazzsax

TRIBE Member
i found it funny that someone assaulted a driver last night when confronted about a fare. I wonder if he said "Screw you, you cost me a $30 cab ride today" before he punched him?

I call shenanigans.

SJN

TRIBE Member
jazzsax said:
i found it funny that someone assaulted a driver last night when confronted about a fare. I wonder if he said "Screw you, you cost me a $30 cab ride today" before he punched him?

I call shenanigans.
First thing I thought when I heard this story is that it was orchestrated by the union. Not saying thats what happened, but it was certainly the first thing I thought of.

judge wopner

TRIBE Member
jazzsax said:
i still think people who paid cab fares should stuff the boxes with receipts...
people think its their god-given right to have transit access every single day but they forget this will be one of many tranist interruption in the next few years to come, next round of bargaining will be hard fought after this whole ordeal.

the kind of mindset it takes to orchestrate this kind of sudden/illegal walkout is running the show at the TTC union, tis probally the tip of the ice berg.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
judge wopner said:
people think its their god-given right to have transit access every single day but they forget this will be one of many tranist interruption in the next few years to come, next round of bargaining will be hard fought after this whole ordeal.

the kind of mindset it takes to orchestrate this kind of sudden/illegal walkout is running the show at the TTC union, tis probally the tip of the ice berg.
Or the city can make the choice to fire the union and replace them. If we're going to face labour strikes regardless of a contract being in place then it makes no sense to keep this union. They have a contract if they don't want to follow it then replace them as a collective unit.

PATCO there asses

SJN

TRIBE Member
Genesius said:
I hope you will voice your opinion to your local politiker.
I will.
My message will be that I hope the union leaders are charged for this stunt, and that I am willing to endure a month-long TTC shutdown with the next round of negs if that's what's necessary for all of managements demands to be met.

man_slut

TRIBE Member
SJN said:
I will.
My message will be that I hope the union leaders are charged for this stunt, and that I am willing to endure a month-long TTC shutdown with the next round of negs if that's what's necessary for all of managements demands to be met.
RACIST! :D

Genesius

TRIBE Member
While I agree that the illegal strike was probably not the best route to take, you gotta figure it was near last resort. Big Harv, the issue is not about just working the occasional night shift... the issue, for me is the fact that the TTC -for economic purposes- wants to change a number of the workers to permanent nights. Yeah, so TTC workers get a good pension and a decent wage, but what if it was you? Ya you... would you just go quietly into the obscure world of permanent night shifts? Would your family really go along with that...

I'm sure senior management has no thoughts about working permanent nights, that's for sure... Although I'm certain someone could make the case that it makes sense economically...

billy

TRIBE Member
there was another assault on an operator this weekend and possibly some more strike/work to rule activity monday. :(

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
AdRiaN said:
I think Premier McGuinty summed it up nicely: "What really counts here is that with the right to bargain collectively comes the responsibility to respect that collective agreement and when you don't do that then you are breaking the law.'' (link)

Mayor Miller said basically the same thing, but I couldn't find an exact quote.
bwahahahahaha
yes lets take advice about sticking to your word from these two.