• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

TTC Strike Monday?

gasper

TRIBE Member
According to the Spacing Wire and CP24, we may see a wildcat TTC strike TOMORROW morning.

The assault on employees Union/Management issue looks like it's boiling over big time.

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

tobywan

TRIBE Member
I've been away all weekend, just heard about this now...here's the latest I found on the Globe and Mail website...

TORONTO — Toronto Mayor David Miller has called in a provincial mediator to help avoid a possible wildcat transit strike on Monday that could paralyze the city.

Toronto Transit Commission management and its union have repeatedly clashed over issues of employee safety, and workers were threatening a possible wildcat strike as early as Monday.

Mr. Miller said he asked the province to intervene.

Ontario Labour Minister Steve Peters has appointed an unnamed senior mediator to open talks.

Bob Kinnear, president of the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113, said members are frustrated by a growing number of assaults against its operators that usually start over fare disputes.

But TTC General Manager Rick Ducharme told Toronto's CP24 the dispute has more to do with shift changes for maintenance workers than with security issues.

“The TTC is too important a service for too many people to let it be affected by unlawful job action,” Mr. Miller said in a news release. “I'm pleased the province has listened to my concerns and is willing to help work with us to find a resolution.”

The transit system's management says it does have a contingency plan in the event of a strike Monday morning, but did not disclose any details.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Dialog said:
does anyone give a rat's ass at this point?

my vote: no
:confused:

anyways, from what that site says, the transit union doesn't want it's employees enforcing fee collection because apparently angry riders pose a danger to the drivers when confronted about not paying.

groovespinna

TRIBE Member
I, for one, will be purchasing a Mercedes-Benz tomorrow morning to show these bureaucrats how I don't care about their petty issues. I urge all of you to join me. punch and pie.

noodle

TRIBE Member
groovespinna said:
note to self, count on strike and stay in bed.
Oh my god I hope so.

TTC are cock teases though. They always threathen to go on strike, BUT NEVER DO!!!

*thinks back fondly to the stike in the 1993 (I think thats when it was).*

gasper

TRIBE Member
Newsflash: a lot of people actually rely on the TTC as their only transport to and from work.

It would suck to have to take a $20 cab ride or walk for 2h to work!

Boo

TRIBE Member
Skipper said:
when will this be decided?
my boss will flip the fack out if I can't come in to the office.
taxi + expense reimbursement = no freak the 'fack' out

noodle

TRIBE Member
SneakyPete said:
You don't have to go to work if they go on strike?
It's like my only hope of a "snow day". During the winter everybody who has to commute freaks out at any sprinkle of snow and many decide not to make the effort to go to work with out any reprocussions. I want my snow day damn it!!!!!

I will not go into work if it means a 3 hour walking commute and/or $20+ in cab far.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
But TTC General Manager Rick Ducharme told Toronto's CP24 the dispute has more to do with shift changes for maintenance workers than with security issues.
an employee neighbour told me the same thing... the union is just totally throwing this curve ball out to garner public support for an issue that has always been there but not gunned up like they are doing now for the wildcat

Boo

TRIBE Member
Has it even been a year since their last strike threat. I guess employee saftey is a top priority, after they secure more money of course.

Ever notice how its essential services with no direct competition that go on strike? I mean really, could you imagine if Mr. Sub employees went on strike or walked off the job demanding 40-60k a year with a high school education?

they would know that they would just be shooting themselves in the foot as the place would go out of business and the customers would resent them. But the public sector holds the public to ransom any time they think they can get more for themselves and there's nothing we can really do. They try a PR campaign to balme it on the 'fat cat' politicians for not giving in to their demands, but it is rarely management making unfair demands when the unions plan these 'job actions'.

Oh its 33 degrees tomorrow - anyone up for a strike?