• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Ttc... ORDERED BACK TO WORK

MoFo

TRIBE Member
We need an official TTC thread for for us fanatics.
Just stuff like tips, closures and delays.. Leave the other threads for main TTC topics.. This is for banter and updates.
I listen to the TTC report on 680 every morning and it is so helpful but it doesn't happen often.

Is there still a shutdown on the Bloor line now?

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
I hope not.

Was very lucky that it happened (to me) at my stop, was able to go back home and pollute the environment and my time by driving in.

acheron

TRIBE Member
the TTC needs to sign on to Twitter so people can have up-to-the-minute updates on what's goin' on (or not)

MoFo

TRIBE Member
They need to hire me as part of the update team for the the actual site.
I know the HR Director and will bring it up this week at our meeting. She's probably going to laugh in my face.

I get to tour the streetcar houses down on Queen this Wednesday! So excited about that.

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
MoFo said:
I get to tour the streetcar houses down on Queen this Wednesday! So excited about that.
What are the streetcar houses that you speak of? Are they houses for streetcars? Or houses made from streetcars?

I am intrigued and confused. Enlighten me!

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
What's up with Chinese people on the TTC who scurry scurry scurry without regard for others and push and shove their way with no manners?

MoFo

TRIBE Member
the Doctor said:
What are the streetcar houses that you speak of? Are they houses for streetcars? Or houses made from streetcars?

I am intrigued and confused. Enlighten me!
It's a depot down at Queen and Coxwell.
They also do repairs down there so I'm going to get to meet various staff, get a bit of a tour of the houses and the office. I work really closely with the TTC these days so this is a dream come true for me as I love seeing the inner workings of an institution that I'm already a huge fan of.

I live by the main train depot though on Greenwood. I can't wait to get in there and get a tour.

I got to tour the ROM's insides too. And the oil company on Friday was such a treat.

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
MoFo said:
I got to tour the ROM's insides too. And the oil company on Friday was such a treat.
Very cool Sunny. Through what means are you doing all the tours? Is it work or personal connections?

I would give my left tit for an underground tour of the ROM. Especially after seeing "a night at the museum" ... :eek:

MoFo

TRIBE Member
the Doctor said:
Very cool Sunny. Through what means are you doing all the tours? Is it work or personal connections?
I work with various businesses and organizations around the city to provide them staffing solutions that often support their diversity hiring policies.
I have a bunch of people wanting to work at the TTC and by meeting the Director and the direct supervisors, I advocate on a client's behalf to skip all the red tape.
And I get support from HR on how to properly fill out applications to get my clients shortlisted.

I'm sort of riding the coat-tails of Miller's "hire people from these neighbourhoods" fiasco. It has its +'s and -'s. The TTC is heavily involved in Miller's priority neighbourhoods project.

Currently, I am one of two people that runs agency program that aids refugees and immigrants to get internship opportunities which ideally should lead to permanent or contract jobs in their chosen field. Ultimately, our goal is to get them off social assistance and out of the shelter system.

A TTC driver makes $26/hour so this would be an ideal employer to secure. I've been networking with TTC officials for over 2 years through high needs student hiring initiatives and finally, I'm getting concrete meetings for direct hiring due to the massive amount of retirements happening in the near future. The TTC's HR is a fantastic machine. It's incredible to go into the TTC's office to witness the bullshit they have to deal with every minute of the day.

I'm crossing my fingers because an employer like TTC can drop out at any time without any kind of explanation (which is the bulk of the problems I encounter at work on a daily basis) leaving me and people with prospective job interviews to have to go back to square one.
So part of my job is to tour places to effectively place my clients. Which is probably the funnest part of the job.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
HR trivia: the TTC has not had to post an external posting for a Booth Operator in over 15 years.
It is the most-wanted frontline job, snatched up internally as soon as it is released.

Ms. Fit

TRIBE Member
i was on the bloor line yesterday and there was no re-routing via lower bay...so construction at bay station is done?

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
lately, every morning I'm tempted to step in front of the train, but am worried the initial crushing won't kill me and I'll some how get pinned under the train and need a steel-toed boot to the neck to finish me off.

its weird, its like I just start fantasizing about the timing of the step off and then the wind of the train wakes me up from my daydream and its too late to leap so I go to school.

the Doctor

TRIBE Member
Krzysiu said:
lately, every morning I'm tempted to step in front of the train, but am worried the initial crushing won't kill me and I'll some how get pinned under the train and need a steel-toed boot to the neck to finish me off.

its weird, its like I just start fantasizing about the timing of the step off and then the wind of the train wakes me up from my daydream and its too late to leap so I go to school.
Chris, trust you do not want to go this way. How morbid is this ... We had a presentation by the coroners office a couple years ago. The worst photo had to be of a train jumper - who's head was completely sheared off his body, barely hanging by a thread.

Yuck.

technowelt

TRIBE Member
Ms. Fit said:
i was on the bloor line yesterday and there was no re-routing via lower bay...so construction at bay station is done?
Yes. Unbelievably, it was finished two weeks ahead of schedule.

billy

TRIBE Member
i was on the BD line this morning just after 7:30 am when they announced the problem. apparently it was a "power off" situation at jane station. did you still hear announcements around 9am Mofo?

Big Harv

TRIBE Member
Boss Hog said:
What's up with Chinese people on the TTC who scurry scurry scurry without regard for others and push and shove their way with no manners?
i think people from all national origins are equally rude and pushy on the ttc. i hate it when i'm holding on to a pole so i don't lose my balance and before arriving at the station someone wants me to let go of the pole during a windy stretch of track so they can be the first to get to the door.

Phat Trick

TRIBE Promoter
that's kinda funny. I was waiting for the spadina streetcar at spadina station a couple of days ago. There was a long line of people waiting. Then a bunch of asians got off the subway, walked past the line up and sat at the front of the platform to get on the streetcar first. I was like wtf, but I was more shocked no one said anything. Then again, they were old people and probably would have been like: I don't speak english