• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

TTC MetroPass - business expense/write off?

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
I was under the impression that a metropass was an expense that I could file as a business expense.

Anybody file one this year?

Bumbaclat
 
Stop Bill C-10

DJAlchemy

TRIBE Promoter
it should be.. trasportation can be written off as a business expense. I wrote off all my gas & parking so why can't you write that off>?

Peace & love. D
 

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by DJAlchemy
it should be.. trasportation can be written off as a business expense. I wrote off all my gas & parking so why can't you write that off>?

Peace & love. D

that's what I was thinking but somebody just told me that this isn't the case. anybody know for sure?

Bumbaclat
 
In Paris, businesses provide their employees with passes and can write it off as a tax incentive.

Why they don't do it here, I'll never understand.

From the Ministry of two steps behind.

Prime Minister Highsteppa
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

beaker

TRIBE Member
i was hired as a contractor this year (not an employee). i wrote mine off without any problems. still had to pay the government a shitload of money though.
 

MoFo

TRIBE Member
It depends if you have to use the pass for anything OTHER than commuting. If they send you to another facility, then they have to pay for that.
If they send you on a projcet and you have to take public transport, they have to pay for that. If your job description says you have to float around the city from facility to facility, they have to pay for that. Another perk would be to use it off of work time.

But if you JUST have to get there in the morning and get home at night with the pass, they don't have to pay for it.
 

smilez

TRIBE Member
If you OWN a business you can write off transportation costs. However you cannot write of ttc tickets/passes and such, just as you cannot write off the clothes you buy to wear to work. The only way you would be able to was if you were self employed or as I said before, owned the business. Also if your profession required you to travel ie/ real estate agent, then you could claim A PORTION of the car expenses. For those of you who are claiming gas and car related expenses, this is not "allowed" either. There are very tight rules for expenses, in the event of an audit most people who do their own claims would likely be in a bit of trouble. On the other hand, most people are not audited.

smilez
 

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by smilez
just as you cannot write off the clothes you buy to wear to work.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

unless you work for the TTC!
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
Regardless of what your status is... No receipt = no writeoff.

If you get audited 1) you'll have no purchase record (old metropasses would not count.) 2) as mentioned with car expenses, you could not prove how much of the expense was used for personal vs. business use.
 

JMan

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
In Paris, businesses provide their employees with passes and can write it off as a tax incentive.

Why they don't do it here, I'll never understand.

From the Ministry of two steps behind.

Prime Minister Highsteppa

Damned leftist utopia seekers.
 

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MoFo
It depends if you have to use the pass for anything OTHER than commuting. If they send you to another facility, then they have to pay for that.
If they send you on a projcet and you have to take public transport, they have to pay for that. If your job description says you have to float around the city from facility to facility, they have to pay for that. Another perk would be to use it off of work time.

But if you JUST have to get there in the morning and get home at night with the pass, they don't have to pay for it.

yes, this is correct. you cannot writeup off your parking/transit costs for just going to work - same goes for clothes etc....the only time you can claim these as expenses is if you are running your own company - entrepreneus get to be very 'creative' with their taxes.
 
Top