• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!
14K Cannabis seed slider pendants by tribe

TTC may strike tomorrow

billy

TRIBE Member
via pulse 24

Exactly one week after a wildcat strike caused Monday T.T.C. closures and wreaked havoc on Toronto’s streets, residents of the city who ride The Rocket as well as those that drive it could be preparing for exactly the same thing.

“You just hear a lot of talk going around,” said streetcar driver Faye Budree.

“There could be something happening tomorrow again, that’s all I want to say.”

The previous week’s one-day strike shut down all the transit systems throughout the Greater Toronto Area, leaving thousands of would-be passengers stranded and many of them equally furious.

The issue stems in part from T.T.C. workers complaining of management not taking enough responsibility for their day-to-day safety. The problem of driver and employee safety is a real one, but responses and solutions have been slow to come.

Understandably, this has led to aggravation on both sides of the debate.

“There will always be frustration,” said a driver that asked not to be identified.

“It’s never going to stop now.”

Two court orders were needed to force transit employees back to work last Monday, and this time officials with the City of Toronto say they have a plan should another strike take effect at 12:01am Monday.

“Our senior staff are going to be standing by going into work tonight if anything happens, and we’ll make sure we get a warning out if it does,” said T.T.C. Chair Howard Moscoe.

“But they’re (T.T.C. employees) are going to squander any goodwill whatsoever that they’ve built up with the people of Toronto.”

Most workers and union representatives are keeping quiet about just how realistic a strike could be, but since any work stoppage would technically be illegal that should come as no surprise.

Union head Bob Kinnear says he’s given no instructions to walk off the job to those he represents, but it’s happened before, meaning there’s no reason it can’t and won’t happen again.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
awesome, and why isnt ttc considered an essential service yet?
and you cant tell me that there arent qualified ppl who can drive a bus or fix one who can be on the job in an hour if they decide to strike again
if you participate in a wildcat strike, you breach your cba and should be fired.
luckily i have taken the TTC aka the shittiest way, exactly once in the last 15 yrs

Tribe 14K gold cannabis seed slider pendant and chain

billy

TRIBE Member
Joe Seven said:
suckas without bikes... haha
i'm not sure i would want to be on a bike with that many irate drivers on the roads.

i've heard other bits about this news. it is possible that it might be some sort of work-to-rule action as opposed to a strike.

i'm concerned about how the public may react if this in fact happens. i ran into alot of very tense and on-edge people on my long journey home from work last monday. torontonians may not be as patient and understanding this time around.

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
^^^
I like not having a car, you don't need one if you live downtown.
But yeah... bike-less, car-less people are all suckas tomorrow if there's another strike... have fun walking all day!

aaaaaahahahahaha ha ha ha ha

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
billy said:
i'm not sure i would want to be on a bike with that many irate drivers on the roads.

i've heard other bits about this news. it is possible that it might be some sort of work-to-rule action as opposed to a strike.
whats a work-to-rule action?

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
If they go on strike again tomorrow there will be a burning bag of shit on Bob Kinnear's door step, signed by me, for every $ I lose from missing work.

billy

TRIBE Member
Joe Seven said:
whats a work-to-rule action?
it's a situation where employees don't strike but only do the bare minimum required for their jobs. for example teachers only go to their classes but don't coach any teams or after school activities. another example is what the cops did in the fall.

dyad

TRIBE Member
good to know the word-on-the-street is now considered a reliable news source without anything to back it up

Joe Seven said:
^^^
I like not having a car, you don't need one if you live downtown.
But yeah... bike-less, car-less people are all suckas tomorrow if there's another strike... have fun walking all day!

aaaaaahahahahaha ha ha ha ha
I'll have the day off. You'll be at work.

You lose.

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
billy said:
it's a situation where employees don't strike but only do the bare minimum required for their jobs. for example teachers only go to their classes but don't coach any teams or after school activities. another example is what the cops did in the fall.
I didn't know TTC employees ever breached their bare minimum requirments.

Well, there is that black bald dude who has his singing shtick on the 504 King/Broadview car, maybe he'll zip it tomorrow!!

billy

TRIBE Member
dyad said:
good to know the word-on-the-street is now considered a reliable news source without anything to back it up
there is a transit enthusiast message board that i like to check out. some members are TTC staff and have echoed the possibility of something going on tomorrow. remember that last time there was minimal advance media as well.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
daddyiwantchocolate said:
But how far is that from you? I thought you lived downtown (like, right downtown)?
Bathurst and Eglinton. I could probably ride my bike but I have to be at work at 6:30 and I work like a dog all day. I'm going to be in no mood to fetch my bike out of storage in the morning or be in any condition to ride it home at the end of the day.

I'm making some calls for a contingency plan this time.

billy

TRIBE Member
Joe Seven said:
I didn't know TTC employees ever breached their bare minimum requirments.
remember two weeks ago when they didn't question anyone's fares? that could be considered work-to-rule. they could also be driving their vehicles but not bother maintaining the schedule.

dyad

TRIBE Member
billy said:
there is a transit enthusiast message board that i like to check out. some members are TTC staff and have echoed the possibility of something going on tomorrow. remember that last time there was minimal advance media as well.

k but the first conclusion cp-24 jumps to is an identical strike? please. something going on could mean that they will be wearing protest hats or carrying leaflets

there are transit enthusiast message boards?