• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

TTC Drivers and thier cellphones...

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by derek
klubmaster's just siding with the driver cause he's gabby mcgabster on the cell while speeding in his x5.

get handsfree you cheap bastard!!
1. i drive a 525i, not an x5. :p

2. i hate cell-phones. i only started carrying one a few months ago and that was ONLY because my work forced it on me. previous to that, i was proud to have never owned a cell-phone.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Klubmasta Will

2. i hate cell-phones. i only started carrying one a few months ago and that was ONLY because my work forced it on me. previous to that, i was proud to have never owned a cell-phone.
now you have to be learning to text message! text messaging is so hot right now.

derek

TRIBE Member

lol, i'm actually qutie impressed you held out on the cell phone for so long. i mean being a lawyer and all i'm surprised your firm didn't have a collar on you earilier. if it wasn't for work, i probably wouldn't have one either.

i'll take the 525i though!

:D

Originally posted by Chaos
Maybe you should mind your own fucking business.

Maybe she was texting her kid(s), or another member of the family.

I realize they are not public servants, but have you never been in a cab whilst he was on the phone (and probably driving WAY more carelessly than her)?

Let me guess, you've never taken a personal call at work...ever...?

(tribe IS getting old&crusty)

c.

p.s. i cannot believe you are SO disappointed you didn't get this woman in shit, callous dickhead.
I just quoted this out of peer pressure, everyone else is doing it on the first page.

AshG

she's no worse than anyone else who uses their cell-phone while driving. in all instances, you are putting your own convenience before the safety of others.
C'mon Will, that's just sloppy.

It certainly is worse than anyone else because she has a bus full of people she's driving for, not just herself.
Not only that but a good part of her job is to drive safely - people pay her to do this.

While you might argue that it is the responsiblity of everyone on the road to drive safely, it is not only her responsibility but her job to do so, regardless of inclinations of personal convenience.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AshG
C'mon Will, that's just sloppy.

It certainly is worse than anyone else because she has a bus full of people she's driving for, not just herself.
Not only that but a good part of her job is to drive safely - people pay her to do this.
see my subsequent post. i don't think cell-phoning is really dangerous to the people ON the bus. it's more dangerous to pedestrians and other cars, which is why i made the comparison to regular car-drivers on phones.

kuba

TRIBE Member
hard to really argue if it's dangerous to passengers because they're on a tank-like machine, and if it hits something, then chances are, the people on the bus will be ok, while the people in the ford festiva will be toast.

doesn't make it less traumatic to know ou were riding on the bus that ended up KILLING someone*

*added for dramatic purpose

AshG

see my subsequent post. i don't think cell-phoning is really dangerous to the people ON the bus. it's more dangerous to pedestrians and other cars, which is why i made the comparison to regular car-drivers on phones.
with all due respect that's guessing as to the severity of what might happen should a crash occur.

besides which it is really is her job to drive safely, for the sake of drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists, while that is certainly not the case for most other drivers on the road.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
It is quite dangerous to text and drive, I should know, I do it all the time. Just be lucky she wasn't reading the paper while driving, I have a really hard time pulling that off. but I certainly do try.

derek

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
I just quoted this out of peer pressure, everyone else is doing it on the first page.
smoke...smoke...smoke...smoke....smoke...players....smoke....smoke....unfiltered....smoke

Boo

TRIBE Member
I've never taken a cab in Toronto where the driver did not talk on the cell phone.

lol at the ':( ' face in the original post

maybe some of your co-workers will show up late on tuesday and you can rat one of them out to make you feel better

deveator

TRIBE Member
I have had drivers ask if I mind them talking on thier phones and I always say as long as you don't mind me smoking.

fuzzy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Chaos
Maybe you should mind your own fucking business.

Maybe she was texting her kid(s), or another member of the family.

I realize they are not public servants, but have you never been in a cab whilst he was on the phone (and probably driving WAY more carelessly than her)?

Let me guess, you've never taken a personal call at work...ever...?

(tribe IS getting old&crusty)

c.

p.s. i cannot believe you are SO disappointed you didn't get this woman in shit, callous dickhead.
What is this guys problem!?

I think anyone is in the tottal and complete right to demand saftey as a priority over anything

What would it matter if they were trying to contact a family member
She could have killed the mother or father of a family
Or better yet, take out a family in a van

randyval

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by echootje
How many of you have seen drivers using thier cellphones yet? I knew it would only be a matter of time; everybody has one, I've seen only 3 drivers using them'incident'. She was driving the bus South on Ossington and TEXTING, not even talking. I was concerned, but only said something after she had to make a rapid stop to collect some passenegers I guess she saw at the last minute. I said:

"Excuse me, do you think you could concentrate on driving rather punching letters into than your cellphone"

Not a word from her, but she folded it up and didn't use it again. I'm a little shocked that a public servant would have the gall to do this while thier JOB is to drive people safely from destination to destination. I should have reported it and took down the details of the bus, but when I had time to do it I had lost the time/bus/driver details :(

Rob
nobody was hurt,and from what i gather from your post, is that she knew she fucked up and she probably will think twice before doing it again.
no need to call her boss, you already did something about it.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
with all due respect that's guessing as to the severity of what might happen should a crash occur.
well, of course i'm 'guessing' (in that i haven't actually performed any scientific experiments to prove my theory :p) but it's just common sense. cell-phoning might make a bus driver glance away from the road, and the most likely result of that would be rear-ending another vehicle that hit the brakes unexpectedly (which would likely be a much smaller vehicle because larger vehicles don't brake as fast), side-swiping another vehicle or hitting a pedestrian.

of course it's possible that such an accident would be more serious, but given the fact that buses drive in the right-hand lane (making a head-on collision difficult), the likelihood of such an accident seriously harming passengers ON the bus is remote. it's much more dangerous to people OUTSIDE of the bus.

don't misunderstand my point here. it still doesn't make it right. i'm just questioning all the people that think a cell-phoning bus driver is somehow much worse than a regular cell-phoning motorist. in both instances, the driver is creating a threat to OTHER cars and pedestrians, so the blame should be similar. it really makes no difference that the bus driver is getting paid to drive, because ALL drivers owe the same duty of care to cars/pedestrians OUTSIDE their vehicles.

AshG

well, of course i'm 'guessing' (in that i haven't actually performed any scientific experiments to prove my theory :p) but it's just common sense. cell-phoning might make a bus driver glance away from the road, and the most likely result of that would be rear-ending another vehicle that hit the brakes unexpectedly (which would likely be a much smaller vehicle because larger vehicles don't brake as fast), side-swiping another vehicle or hitting a pedestrian.

of course it's possible that such an accident would be more serious, but given the fact that buses drive in the right-hand lane (making a head-on collision difficult), the likelihood of such an accident seriously harming passengers ON the bus is remote. it's much more dangerous to people OUTSIDE of the bus.

don't misunderstand my point here. it still doesn't make it right. i'm just questioning all the people that think a cell-phoning bus driver is somehow much worse than a regular cell-phoning motorist. in both instances, the driver is creating a threat to OTHER cars and pedestrians, so the blame should be similar. it really makes no difference that the bus driver is getting paid to drive, because ALL drivers owe the same duty of care to cars/pedestrians OUTSIDE their vehicles.
Now Will you have to admit that a bus would, in all likelihood, cause more damage/injury/death than any other vehicle on the road - this alone makes bus driving quite different from other vehicles. I don't quite get the emphasis you're placing on injury to those in the bus as we both recognize it would be the damage to others on the road we're talking about anyway. A bus is going to damage other vehicles and people a lot more so than cars.

as for the basic responsibility to the road, we agree on that, but i'm afraid that i disagree in regards to the rest - it is a bus driver's professional duty to drive safely, not only their social duty. we all pay them to drive and it behooves them to do their job, unless i mistake your meaning in thinking driving safely isn't their job?

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Now Will you have to admit that a bus would, in all likelihood, cause more damage/injury/death than any other vehicle on the road
that's splitting hairs. sure, a bus is bigger and would, under identical conditions, cause more damage than a regular car, but buses drive in the right-hand lane and they drive MUCH slower than the vast majority of wallies that drive while chatting away on their cell-phones.

so, i don't think that's a distinguishing factor at all. i think ALL drivers owe the same duty of care to drive safely.

as for the basic responsibility to the road, we agree on that, but i'm afraid that i disagree in regards to the rest - it is a bus driver's professional duty to drive safely, not only their social duty. we all pay them to drive and it behooves them to do their job, unless i mistake your meaning in thinking driving safely isn't their job?
ALL drivers have a legal duty of care to drive safely in respect of those around them. the duty comes from the LICENSE required to drive, provincial/federal statute and common law. (that's why if you are convicted of driving in an unsafe manner, you can be fined and even jailed.)

i really don't get why people place so much significance on the fact that the bus driver is PAID to drive. what should we be concerned about here, the fact that a paid driver is violating the rules of his/her job, or the fact that a driver is putting the lives of others (i.e. other drivers and pedestrians) at greater risk for the sake of his/her own convenience? if you are more concerned about the latter, then you should be just as outraged at regular drivers who use their cell-phones while driving.

personally, i don't care about the 'professional duty' bit. you make it sound like bus drivers swear an oath to uphold the safety of the streets or something :p, and that therefore they are duty-bound to drive safer than other drivers. i disagree with that completely.

i think ALL drivers have a moral and legal duty to drive safely, and if that means driving without talking on the phone, then that's what it means.

ps. i have at times made a phone call while driving, so i'm not pretending to be on any kind of high horse here. :)

AshG

that's splitting hairs. sure, a bus is bigger and would, under identical conditions, cause more damage than a regular car, but buses drive in the right-hand lane and they drive MUCH slower than the vast majority of wallies that drive while chatting away on their cell-phones.

so, i don't think that's a distinguishing factor at all. i think ALL drivers owe the same duty of care to drive safely.

ALL drivers have a legal duty of care to drive safely in respect of those around them. the duty comes from the LICENSE required to drive, provincial/federal statute and common law. (that's why if you are convicted of driving in an unsafe manner, you can be fined and even jailed.)

i really don't get why people place so much significance on the fact that the bus driver is PAID to drive. what should we be concerned about here, the fact that a paid driver is violating the rules of his/her job, or the fact that a driver is putting the lives of others (i.e. other drivers and pedestrians) at greater risk for the sake of his/her own convenience? if you are more concerned about the latter, then you should be just as outraged at regular drivers who use their cell-phones while driving.

personally, i don't care about the 'professional duty' bit. you make it sound like bus drivers swear an oath to uphold the safety of the streets or something :p, and that therefore they are duty-bound to drive safer than other drivers. i disagree with that completely.

i think ALL drivers have a moral and legal duty to drive safely, and if that means driving without talking on the phone, then that's what it means.

ps. i have at times made a phone call while driving, so i'm not pretending to be on any kind of high horse here. :)
The force of impact is an articate of momentum, which is a linear product of mass and velocity. A bus with passengers weighs 11 tons. That's roughly 20 times the weight of a car - in other words a car would have to be going 20 times as fast as a bus in order to have the same impact force on person or other object. Another way to think of it is that a bus even going only half the speed of a car would still cause 10x the damage a car would. And that's ignoring the fact that buses take longer to brake and are generally have a much larger surface area, increasing the probability of impact several times over.

I too have made calls while driving which is why you won't find me bitching about other people doing this. I guess i just do care that people whose job requires a significant aspect of public safety really do uphold that part of their job. I don't know of too many jobs that actually require oaths to ensure their behavour respects the tenants of their position, but it doesn't mean such a duty doesn't exist and isn't very important.

If i paid everyone else on the road to drive safely and if i entrusted them to take me places without hitting other people or things, and if they were driving vehicles that weren't apt to cause 10x the damage as any other vehicle on the road, i'd be right with you.

I think we just disagree on the role people play in road safety. Fair dinkum!