• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

TTC Drivers and thier cellphones...

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by X_Door
Makes sense to me, especially if they were discussing a socially sensitive, personal medical condition (otherwise known as "sexually transmitted disease") and they didn't want the entire waiting room to be privy to their conversation.
nah. they looked like they were just fucking around. being all giggly.

a doctor's office is not the place to have your cell phone go off every 30 seconds.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Michlerish
actually, recent studies have shown that talking on a cell while driving is one of the least dangerous acts. The 3 most dangerous = eating, playing with stereo and/or attending to children. Also on the list were billboards and big screen tvs outside, doing your makeup/shaving. Cell use was after all of those and more.

i'm sure, like with most studies and stats, you could find studies that would "prove" either side of the argument.

here's one for the side that says it IS dangerous:

Drivers on phones as bad as drunks
Both are 4 times as likely to be in traffic accidents
Distractions reaching epidemic proportions

KEVIN MCGRAN
TRANSPORTATION REPORTER

People who talk on their cellphones when driving are just as likely as drunk drivers to be in an accident, says a leading researcher.

"The cellphone user was very comparable and in some cases more impaired than the drunk driver," Dr. David Strayer, a psychology professor at the University of Utah, said yesterday during the opening day of the International Conference on Distracted Driving at the Toronto Hilton.

Strayer and his colleagues did a study that brought in people, got them drunk and measured how well they drove in a controlled environment. Those same people were measured again on a different day when they were on a cellphone while driving.

"If you're driving and on a cellphone, you're about four times more likely to be in an accident, similar odds to those driving with a blood alcohol level of 0.08," Strayer said.

Compared to the drunk driver, cellphone drivers have slower reaction times.

more ...
the star

Last edited:

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
Honor amongst thieves. That worker is breaking his/her job rules I'm sure, but who the fuck are you to say shit? Be lucky that there isn't a city full of morons watching over you at work, and get a fucking life.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Sunshyne Jones
It makes me feel better reporting things that shouldn't be happening, when what we're talking about is potentially dangerous behavior of a person directly responsible for the safety of others.
just so we're all on the same page, it should be noted that ALL drivers are directly responsible for the safety of others.

the people we are most concerned about are the people OUTSIDE the bus. it would be unlikely for a cell-phone-induced crash to hurt the people on the bus (as the most likely accidents are sideswipes, rear-ending a much smaller car and maybe hitting a pedestrian). it would be very unlikely that a cell-phone induced accident would result in serious injury to the people RIDING the bus (unless you're suggesting that cell-phoning might make a bus driver accidentally drive off a cliff or veer out of the right lane and into on-coming traffic).

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Klubmasta Will
just so we're all on the same page, it should be noted that ALL drivers are directly responsible for the safety of others.

the people we are most concerned about are the people OUTSIDE the bus. it would be unlikely for a cell-phone-induced crash to hurt the people on the bus (as the most likely accidents are sideswipes, rear ending a much smaller car and maybe hitting a pedestrian). it would be very unlikely that a cell-phone induced accident would result in serious injury to the people RIDING the bus (unless you're suggesting that cell-phoning might make a bus driver accidentally drive off a cliff or veer out of the right lane and into on-coming traffic).
sure, ok. i have already said in this thread that no drivers should be talking / texting on their phones while driving. but you're right ... the issue is that they are a potential danger on the road / to others (especially when driving something like a bus), not just that they are responsible for the safety of those on the bus. though ... why couldn't i be suggesting that they might veer into on-coming traffic?

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by unique2100
Honor amongst thieves. That worker is breaking his/her job rules I'm sure, but who the fuck are you to say shit? Be lucky that there isn't a city full of morons watching over you at work, and get a fucking life.
it's not like this lady's job is sitting at a desk crunching numbers...her actions directly affect the lives of others. i think that's more than enough cause for reporting her. what if she didn't put that cell phone away when asked to. you'd just be happy to see her texting away and ignoring her surroundings??? like come on.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
Honor amongst thieves. That worker is breaking his/her job rules I'm sure, but who the fuck are you to say shit?
if i'm on the bus i'd have every right to say something.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
you know what I think is more dangerous? passengers hovering around the driver and trying to talk to them or tell them what to do

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
Ya everyday you have the right to complain to your hearts content. Why would you wanna walk around doing that? Maybe you do? Are you jealous that the bus driver has friends? I'm sure that driver doesnt go around tattle tailing on everyone. You're on a bus you're safe even if the bus crashes, that's why they dont have seatbelts.

X_Door

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by T
that happened to me once at Wilson Station during high school.

I refused to give him any of my personal information, and decided to walk away. since hes not allowed to restrain you, he just watched me walk away..

perhaps things have changed since then in terms of how much power ttc "security" have.

There are a couple of possible reasons why you experienced what you did. First, if you were dealing with TTC Special Constables, they let you walk because you were under 16 years of age. If you're under 16, they can't issue a regular Provincial Offences Act charge against you because, according to the POA, you would have been a young offender. And YOA charges are a bitch to deal with so they let you go for their own sake.

The other possible reason is that this took place so long ago that the TTC guys hadn't received their Special Constable status yet. In which case, you're sort of right. Security guards can restrain you but only after effecting a citizen's arrest. But they can only make citizen's arrests for Criminal Code offences, not POA violations. Although if they were smart security guards, they could have still arrested you under the TPA for failing to identify yourself.

Of course, nowadays things are way different. TTC, GO Transit, and now York Region Transit, officers are designated as "Special Constables" under the Police Services Act. Which means that they possess the same powers as a regular police officer, ie. peace officers' powers of arrest, ability to write POA & CCC charges, issue Part 1 & 3 summonses, power to release custodies, access to CPIC/PARIS information, etc. But for the officers, the biggest bonus is that with this status, they also get paid the same big bucks as a first class TPS officer!

There is also word floating about that Ontario's Transit Special Constables will soon be following the example set by Transit Officers in BC: they will be carrying sidearms!

X_Door

TRIBE Member
It makes me feel better reporting things that shouldn't be happening, when what we're talking about is potentially dangerous behavior of a person directly responsible for the safety of others. However, I did say that I thought the right thing had already been done - something was said and the driver stopped texting. done and done. i wouldn't have "tattled" in that case.

Just because you say nothing would happen, and even if nothing would happen, that doesn't mean i shouldn't do what i think is right. i am only responsible for my own actions and whether or not I decide to take action.

I would think that texting while driving a bus is no more distracting or dangerous than having an annoying passenger haranguing the driver to put their mobile phone away.

Call centre staff around the world thank you. Without complainers like you calling in about every stupid little thing, they'd have to find another form of employment.

X_Door

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mingster
nah. they looked like they were just fucking around. being all giggly.

Obviously both of them are suffering from advanced cases of syphilitic dementia. Have pity on them.

mingster

TRIBE Member
they're lucky they went in to a room shortly after i got there, cause if i had to lay down the law THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO PITY TAKEN.

yarf.

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Ya everyday you have the right to complain to your hearts content. Why would you wanna walk around doing that? Maybe you do? Are you jealous that the bus driver has friends? I'm sure that driver doesnt go around tattle tailing on everyone. You're on a bus you're safe even if the bus crashes, that's why they dont have seatbelts.
are you for real? wow what a narrowminded thing to say. it's not about the safety of the people on the bus...it's for the safety of those OUTSIDE the bus. this has already been clarified.

and this is not high school where people are tattling on each other. maybe that's your experiences not mine. I wouldn't speak up unless there was a serious reason to. and if she had decided not to put that phone away when asked I would have definitely reported her. unlike you i care about what happens to more than just her.

Last edited:

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by X_Door
I would think that texting while driving a bus is no more distracting or dangerous than having an annoying passenger haranguing the driver to put their mobile phone away.

Call centre staff around the world thank you. Without complainers like you calling in about every stupid little thing, they'd have to find another form of employment.

for frig's sake!
ok ok ... i would complain and you wouldn't.
big deal we disagree. people disagree with me.
boo hoo.

X_Door

TRIBE Member
for frig's sake!
ok ok ... i would complain and you wouldn't.
big deal we disagree. people disagree with me.
boo hoo.

Hehehe... don't mind me. It's raining; I can't go outside and have fun so I am bored.

derek

TRIBE Member
klubmaster's just siding with the driver cause he's gabby mcgabster on the cell while speeding in his x5.

get handsfree you cheap bastard!!

:p