1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

TTC Drivers and thier cellphones...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by echootje, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Skipper

Skipper TRIBE Member

Yeah but ev's a fucking asshole.

2. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

i'm not really sure why everyone's freaking out at chaos either. so, some lady bus driver was using her cell-phone. sure, it's not the best situation in the world, but she's no worse than anyone else who uses their cell-phone while driving. in all instances, you are putting your own convenience before the safety of others.

from the sounds of it, the lady just made a single "rapid stop". hardly evidence that she always drives dangerously. echootje made a comment to her about it and she put her phone away.

in a situation like that, reporting the driver and perhaps putting her livelihood at risk would have been a horrible thing to do. i think that's all chaos was trying to say.

3. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

you're so legal it hurts.

anyone with half a brain shouldn't be using their cell for anything while driving a bus.

like someone else said, getting fired from the ttc is super difficult, i'd imagine. especially if the 'evidence' is based on what people saw and not getting caught in the act. a slap on the wrist is most likely what woudl result.

4. Chaos

Chaos TRIBE Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHA.

A member of the collective get's attacked and the Pussies circle the wagons.

Perhaps she was dealing with a situation you don't know about, so quick to judge, which is SO unlike Tribe...

You said she almost missed a stop, OOHHH!!! that's never happened to me whilst riding the bus...cell phone or not, they are not perfect, and they *often* fuck up. They're bus drivers for chrissakes, not Nobel Laureates.

Anyway, i'm sure this basic logic is lost on most of those who bothered writing back petty, inflammatory remarks. Pity.

:rolleyes:

c.

5. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

Will lets say she crashed the bus while texting.

a class action suit would surely insue, something the TTC can't afford given their current predicaments...

6. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

chaos. you're still the bafffooooon of the thread. again you keep referring to some mega-important situation (which of course you can't back up with any evidence, rather you're assuming things), and like I said, before everyone and their mother had a cellphone, we still managed to make it to this point in one piece. keep on living in a haze of stupidity!

7. Chaos

Chaos TRIBE Member

Are you so fucking stupid you can't notice the irony of this statement?

Methinks so.

I can't prove i'm right, and you can't prove otherwise, in case you still haven't figured it out.

Fact is, no one knows. The possibility still exists, ergo, please, shut the fuck up.

8. afterglow

afterglow TRIBE Member

chris i love you lol

best ex from high school lolol

9. Sunshyne Jones

Sunshyne Jones TRIBE Member

no drivers should use their cell phones to talk or text while driving ... simple. i know people do (i don't) but it don't make it right.

10. Sunshyne Jones

your response was petty and inflammatory dude.
    i was not sticking up for anyone, i completely disagreed with your post and that's why i responded to it.

11. Chaos

Chaos TRIBE Member

Did some law get passed (in Canada) Re: cell phone & driving that I missed?

If so, please let me know.

kthxbye.

12. Sunshyne Jones

i don't need a law to know that it is dangerous to be distracting yourself while driving like that.

13. Skipper

Skipper TRIBE Member

This thread is starting to remind me of the pop can thread.

14. Klubmasta Will

Klubmasta Will TRIBE Member

it's also possible she might have veered into a hospital and killed a whole bunch of newborn babies, and one of those babies might have otherwise grown up to cure cancer.

i guess when you look at it that way, we really should find this bus driver lady and arrest her immediately.

15. litespeed

litespeed Well-Known TRIBEr

FYI

a quick call to the TTC customer service/complaint/suggestion line at 416-393-3030.. and I was informed on their policy regarding drivers using their cell phones while working.

the gentleman I spoke with said that their policy is and a quote "our policy is quite clear, it's not allowed. The only time a driver would ever be permitted to use their phone is for a life or death emergency"

I should also add that he said that all drivers are well aware of this policy... he also started pressuring me as to wether I saw someone doing this.. lol

16. Beer babe

Beer babe TRIBE Member

the fact that she put her cell phone away PROVES she knew it was wrong...so why is chaos defending her...she knows it's wrong herself.

durr!

17. silver1

silver1 TRIBE Member

Speaking of TTC drivers, last friday night at around 9:00, our streetcar driver almost got into a physical confrontation with this drunk young punk who was talking shit to him.

Driver charged him and was ready to clock him and everything.

It was some awesome drama.

Definitely worth the $2.50 cover charge.

18. mingster

mingster TRIBE Member

ugh, i was at a doctor's office this morning and this couple was there, sitting next to each other, AND THEY WERE TEXTING EACH OTHER. their phones were not on silent. i was not impressed.

19. X_Door

X_Door TRIBE Member

Does it make you feel better just to be able to tattle on someone in the hope that they get into trouble?

Would it completely burst your bubble if I told you that the worst thing that would happen in a case like this is that they would receive a letter of discipline and the letter would disappear once they win their grievance?

You're wasting your own time complaining. Corrective actions are ineffective in unionized environments.

20. X_Door

X_Door TRIBE Member

Makes sense to me, especially if they were discussing a socially sensitive, personal medical condition (otherwise known as "sexually transmitted disease") and they didn't want the entire waiting room to be privy to their conversation.

21. X_Door

X_Door TRIBE Member

Or maybe she had finished sending the text that she was typing and wasn't expecting a reply. Durr, yourself!

22. JuJuHound

JuJuHound TRIBE Member

lol!!!!!! cover charge...hehehehe

ya, the queen street car late is pure entratainment.

23. Beer babe

Beer babe TRIBE Member

and this just HAPPENED to occur when she was told to put it away?? okay buddy whatever! hahahaha

24. Michlerish

Michlerish Well-Known TRIBEr

actually, recent studies have shown that talking on a cell while driving is one of the least dangerous acts. The 3 most dangerous = eating, playing with stereo and/or attending to children. Also on the list were billboards and big screen tvs outside, doing your makeup/shaving. Cell use was after all of those and more.

25. Sunshyne Jones

It makes me feel better reporting things that shouldn't be happening, when what we're talking about is potentially dangerous behavior of a person directly responsible for the safety of others. However, I did say that I thought the right thing had already been done - something was said and the driver stopped texting. done and done. i wouldn't have "tattled" in that case.

Just because you say nothing would happen, and even if nothing would happen, that doesn't mean i shouldn't do what i think is right. i am only responsible for my own actions and whether or not I decide to take action.