• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

TTC Drivers and thier cellphones...

echootje

TRIBE Member
How many of you have seen drivers using thier cellphones yet? I knew it would only be a matter of time; everybody has one, I've seen only 3 drivers using them'incident'. She was driving the bus South on Ossington and TEXTING, not even talking. I was concerned, but only said something after she had to make a rapid stop to collect some passenegers I guess she saw at the last minute. I said:

"Excuse me, do you think you could concentrate on driving rather punching letters into than your cellphone"

Not a word from her, but she folded it up and didn't use it again. I'm a little shocked that a public servant would have the gall to do this while thier JOB is to drive people safely from destination to destination. I should have reported it and took down the details of the bus, but when I had time to do it I had lost the time/bus/driver details :(

Rob

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by echootje
I'm a little shocked that a public servant would have the gall to do this while thier JOB is to drive people safely from destination to destination.
Yes, but it's probably very difficult to get fired from a TTC job.

Chaos

TRIBE Member
Maybe you should mind your own fucking business.

Maybe she was texting her kid(s), or another member of the family.

I realize they are not public servants, but have you never been in a cab whilst he was on the phone (and probably driving WAY more carelessly than her)?

Let me guess, you've never taken a personal call at work...ever...?

(tribe IS getting old&crusty)

c.

p.s. i cannot believe you are SO disappointed you didn't get this woman in shit, callous dickhead.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
^^^^

Question -- How would you react if you were waiting at a TTC stop and the bus whipped right by you without stopping because the driver was distracted by a cellphone? Let's say you were in a hurry to get home to your kids, or to an important job interview?

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I disagree. I ride the transit all day for my job and I've witnessed plenty of drivers cut off people (including myself when I was driving) and veer onto corners because they were distracted on the phone.

They use it for safety sometimes but they already have a radio system.

It's unsafe to put people's safety on the line.
It has nothing to do with being old and crusty.

People should be on their phones while driving anyway.

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Chaos

I realize they are not public servants, but have you never been in a cab whilst he was on the phone (and probably driving WAY more carelessly than her)?

c.

p.s. i cannot believe you are SO disappointed you didn't get this woman in shit, callous dickhead.
what an ignorant response...you don't have to attack someone for their opinions. yeesh.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
i would be pissed.....it is a given that using a cellphone while driving is bad news....lets compound it by driving a bus, downtown..

echootje

TRIBE Member

c.

MAYBE I SHOULD RESPONDIN BOLD CAPS THAT SHE WAS DRIVING DANGEROUSLY NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO THE ROAD, NOT, AS YOU STATE, CARELESSLY

Honestly, there has to be some leniency for talking but texting is quite another matter.

callous dickhead? LOL

[edit] AND I think you should read the rules on the back of the cabbie's chair sometime. They state if you don't want te cabbie on the phone, or listening to music, or taking the wqrong route you as the passenger have the right to tell them to stop.

Last edited:

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
maybe she was texting her dealer or at least making plans for the weekend, or maybe even filing a labour grievance with the union....

kuba

TRIBE Member

c.

You're a fucking loser. Whatever happened to the days BEFORE cellphones? People PLANNED their lives more appropriately. Now its suddenly ok for her to be driving a $1M, 10+ tonne bus, full of passengers, and someone shouldnt say something out of concern because he's getting 'crusty', 'old', and should 'mind their business'?

Its fucking idiots like you who can't see the difference between taking a call at work BEHIND A DESK and BEHIND THE WHEEL OF A BUS.

Let me give you an equation:

Ass - head = you'll be ok

ass + head = keep living the stupid life

You choose.

djfear

TRIBE Member

c.

You're absolutely right! I would also like to add to this gentleman's insightful comments that bus drivers with terminal illnesses should be able to smoke their medicinal marijuana while driving the bus as well.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kuba
You're a fucking loser. Whatever happened to the days BEFORE cellphones? People PLANNED their lives more appropriately. Now its suddenly ok for her to be driving a $1M, 10+ tonne bus, full of passengers, and someone shouldnt say something out of concern because he's getting 'crusty', 'old', and should 'mind their business'?

Its fucking idiots like you who can't see the difference between taking a call at work BEHIND A DESK and BEHIND THE WHEEL OF A BUS.

Let me give you an equation:

Ass - head = you'll be ok

ass + head = keep living the stupid life

You choose.
have I told you lately that I love you?

Skipper

TRIBE Member

c.

What turned you into such a troll?

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member

when part of your job as a TTC bus DRIVER is to be RESPONSIBLE for the safety of a busload of people, you should NOT be on the phone, texting or otherwise.

i think echootje did the right thing saying something for sure, and i think it would be worth reporting if the driver hadn't stopped.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AdRiaN
^^^^

Question -- How would you react if you were waiting at a TTC stop and the bus whipped right by you without stopping because the driver was distracted by a cellphone? Let's say you were in a hurry to get home to your kids, or to an important job interview?
besides, way worse could happen if the bus driver is distracted, than simply missing a stop.