1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

ttc driver suspended for impaired driving

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by rounder, Mar 16, 2010.

1. rounder

rounder TRIBE Member

if only she had taken a nap behind the wheel like the ticket takers do she might not have gotten caught...another black eye for the great ttc

]The TTC is conducting an internal investigation after one of its bus drivers had her licence suspended after she allegedly hit the warning range on a breathalyzer test while on the job.

Passengers on the bus called police Friday afternoon complaining of erratic driving. They reported that the driver had deviated from the main route and was using side streets instead.
    Authorities stopped the vehicle on Dawes Avenue near Danforth around 2:30pm and had the driver take a breathalyzer.

The operator allegedly blew between .05 and .08 – a reading high enough to warrant a 72-hour driving suspension, but not an impaired driving charge.
    "They have all of our lives in their hands. They should be even more sober than anybody else," a rider named Krissy said.
    "If I'm getting on a bus, I want to make sure I'm safe," another rider added.

The 40-year-old driver, Margaret Wilson, is currently on suspension without pay pending a TTC probe. The Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113 is also probing the incident.

This comes as the transit commission reviews its customer service practices with the help of an advisory panel set up last month.

The commission went into damage control in January after one rider took a picture of a ticket collector sleeping in his booth and another customer released a video of a bus driver apparently taking an unscheduled coffee break leaving late-night riders waiting on a Bathurst Street bus.
    Meanwhile, a 2008 report found 39 drug- and alcohol-related offenses by TTC employees in a 30-month period. That, coupled with the death of a worker who had been using drugs during his shift, pushed the TTC to implement a fit-for-duty policy.
    According to TTC chair Adam Giambrone, there has been a 95 per cent reduction in incidences since the policy was implemented.

2. rawd

rawd TRIBE Member

Can't wait for the spin on this one.

3. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Well the Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113 is on the case so I am sure it will work out fine for them.

4. ndrwrld

ndrwrld TRIBE Member

The operator allegedly blew between .05 and .08 – a reading high enough to warrant a 72-hour driving suspension, but not an impaired driving charge.

5. solacevip

solacevip TRIBE Promoter

It's St. Paddy's week!

6. thom100

thom100 TRIBE Member

pppfffff at least she knew to take side roads.

7. acheron

acheron TRIBE Member

'taking side roads' is rural thinking. She must have been seconded from the Transit system in Cobourg.

the party bus in question
    [​IMG]

8. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

how do you not get fired for driving a city bus under the influence

9. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

blah blah blah hardworking taxpayers are fed up blah blah blah

blah blah blah why dont they just get rid of the union and contract out the TTC blah blah blah

10. alexd

Amalgamated Transit Union Local 113!

11. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

kiss the ring. respect your godfather

12. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

It's never done me any harm.

Not that I would drive drunk.

NB: I do not live in a rural area.

13. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

I cannot wait to hear Giantboner defend this one

14. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

[union]We're not quite sure how, but somehow, this is the fault of the ridership...[/union]

15. alexd

Well if she is back behind the wheel in 72 hours it would help to know what bus routes she usually drives so the pubic can try to avoid those routes if possible.

16. Jeffsus

Jeffsus TRIBE Member

Below 0.08 is not under the influence. Except for the now bizarro mystery zone between 0.05 and 0.08 which means just looking at a beer puts you into strange limbo.

-jM
    A&D

17. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

duly noted.

18. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Actually, the cop can judge you to be impaired even if you blow a miniscule amount of alcohol. Obviously much harder to convict someone in this scenario, though.