• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

True Detective (HBO)

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
That was a pretty heavy-handed reveal, replete with detuned music-box-for-child-killer motif. The spiral he was cutting out of the grass would have been enough.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Also, now we know why the Hart's daughter had those rough looking sketches & doll tableaus... Maybe Maggies Dad + his Buddies got a hold of her... If Yes, no wonder she's on Medication...

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
I didn't mind that reveal - pretty chill-inducing.

Loved to see the partners reconnecting in modern day, both their lives in ruin and trying to make things right. It was sentimental in a way - something most guys can relate to if you ever had a really strong bond with a good friend and then lost touch for five or 10 years and reconnected after a period. It's always like no time has passed at all. You just fall right back into step and that's cool as hell.

Can't wait for the season finale and then to find out what season 2 is going to be about! Last night I was thinking how awesome it would be if the story took place in Europe somewhere, like Paris or Istanbul. Not to draw too close a parallel, but the movie The Guard is amazing (and hilarious) and features an American FBI agent (Don Cheadle) working a case in Ireland with a local cop (the all-time classic Brendan Gleeson). Definitely worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

Another tangent - I'm also really into Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus series - all the stories take place in Edinburgh. There are like 15 books, so I feel like an expert on the city even though I have never been there. He paints such an amazing picture of the place and people - if you like reading detective fiction check 'em out.

DJ Doublecross

TRIBE Member
I think that if Cohle doesn't die in a shootout, then he will by his own hand afterwards. He's just trying to give his own life meaning before he dies. Hart I'm not so sure about.

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
Anyone think that one of, if not both Hart & Cohle gonna die in the finale?
They're definitely making it seem like Rust is teetering on the edge, talking about paying debts and whatnot. After talking with the old granny who used to work for the Tuttles, she started off on some "Death isn't the end," Carcosa-type nattering and then Cohle was like, "I hope she's wrong", as if he just wants his nihilistic vision of life to be finally fulfilled. He also told the Medea girl to kill herself in episode 6 after he coerced a 40-page confession out of her, which was pretty damning to his state of mind even before he spun out of control and went on his 10-year bender.

Also another great line from last night - "There's barely enough time in life to get good at one thing, so be careful what you get good at."

I definitely don't agree (having changed careers at 36 and very happy with my decision), but it's so perfectly bleak and in tune with Rust's character. I can definitely see a shoot out with him and spaghetti man, but would not be surprised if Hart takes a bullet for him or something like that.

assassaint

TRIBE Member
“You better get those jumper cables ready. Motherfucker’s lying.”

that was it for me !!!! i think that it really wont mmatter who is the killer and that all yellow king stuff is gonna have almost any meaning to the series. even if there is no big reveal i wont be dissapointed.

the series is about them so whatever happens this sunday will be amazing.

wow

stryker

TRIBE Member
oh man. Episode 7 was great. One more to go and I can't see them taking their foot of the gas. Everyone is going out in a blaze of glory.

It looks like the Tuttles are employ their bastard kids as groundskeepers around the state.

I'm not sure what to think of a season 2 without McConaughey? Is some new pervert/murdered ring gonna pop up?

Stew

stryker

TRIBE Member
I believe Season 2 will be entirely different - new cast, setting, etc - blank slate
ahhhh..that's so good to hear! that's what I was hoping for. It would be such a shame if they dragged this out, rather than end on a high note.
stew

praktik

TRIBE Member
This is good advantage to other areas of the world where the 1 season mini series is dominant form of TV drama entertainment. Means you can make big shit happen!

Hopefully this starts a trend and we get more of those awesome British type mini-shows...Broadchurch being a recent excellent example...

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
i'd say you can make the same argument for every character outside of Marty & Rust. It's their story. Everyone else is secondary.

If you had to rank what character received the most development it would clearly be Maggie, although her screen time is understandably far behind.

I really hate this sort of knee jerk politically correct dissection. It reminds me of the talk about the portrayal of races on Game of Thrones.

What a terrible thing it would be to force the show's creatives to bean count every gender and race depiction to please some quota instead of focusing on telling the story as best they can.
Reading this Globe and Mail essay today made me think about this take above. Not about True Detective, but it might as well be.

Russell Smith: Want a better world? Don

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
Nice one. Funny you posted that Chuck -- I think Russell Smith (who's a friend) looks EXACTLY like Hugo Weaving and he even named his son Hugo. And I always thought you looked a little like the Korean Larry Fishburn! Mind is blown right now.

It's Alistair btw :)

Interesting conclusion and Spence was on point again - good call on how they wrapped it up.

Quite liked the ambiguity of some of the creepier aspects and the denouement of the story - very touching scene seeing Cohle unravel in front of Marty like that.

Preroller

TRIBE Member
Agreed, your mind can probably come up with something worse than what they could show.

Quite enjoyed that, the last episode kinda reminded me of Silence of the Lambs, but even creepier.

Will be interesting to see who they get in the future, This years cast was great. Too bad Heroes didn't follow this format like they wanted to.

praktik

TRIBE Member
We should be in good hands. Less messing with shit in HBO compared to the suits at the big networks and AMC.

Boy i'd like to take the starch out of them stuffed shirts!