• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

True Detective (HBO)

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Regardless, I'm glad True Detective is only eight episodes, I really don't want it to turn into fan boys obsessing over every little allusion and far fetched theory. There's a ton of narrative, symbolic and philosophical meat to dig into without getting into whether or not Marty's blonde hair makes him the obvious Yellow King.

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
just watched episode four last night. can't stop thinking about it. i don't have enough good things to say about this show! love the pace and the character development. the acting is incredible. i want to watch all the remaining episdoes NOW.

stryker

TRIBE Member
we just finished all the episodes to date. This is a great show. I totally think Tuttle has something to with it. Even if he is dead, he was one of the head honchos into "Bohemian Grove" type of stuff.

stew

Illogistix

TRIBE Member
I've read so many TD think pieces and recaps and precaps that I am having a hard time watching the show without searching for clues everywhere. I'd rather just watch the show and let it unfold its mysteries for me, but that's becoming more difficult the more I read about it. Like, the end of last night's episode, the camera held tight on Rust's broken tail-light for 30 seconds, which was the same tail-light he chucked Marty into during their fight. What was that all about? He hasn't fixed his truck in 10 years? Was it stylistic only and I'm wasting my time thinking about all the too-structured camera shots?

Anyway, still love the show - and the hilarious True Detective Season 2 meme that was going around last week. My dream pairing would be Michael K. Williams and Ian McShane set in Boston.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I've read so many TD think pieces and recaps and precaps that I am having a hard time watching the show without searching for clues everywhere. I'd rather just watch the show and let it unfold its mysteries for me, but that's becoming more difficult the more I read about it. Like, the end of last night's episode, the camera held tight on Rust's broken tail-light for 30 seconds, which was the same tail-light he chucked Marty into during their fight. What was that all about? He hasn't fixed his truck in 10 years? Was it stylistic only and I'm wasting my time thinking about all the too-structured camera shots?
He came back and said "why don't you buy me a beer?" which made me think he's just flat broke from not working. Which might explain the broken tail light.

Honestly I haven't been reading into it that much, just following along. Last night's episode was especially dark on a way more personal level. Should be interesting to see what happens in the final two episodes.

The tail light's symbolic of Cohle and Hart's broken relationship. I think part of it could be what Hogg's saying - dead broke, part of it is also how little Cohle gives a fuck about anything anymore.

Honestly, I think that Cohle might have gotten recruited by the conspiracy he was looking for, maybe even acting as a cleaner for the cult/organization/whatever, if it exists. 8 years dropping "off the grid" as it was put and he's showing up at murder scenes again? Especially after how this last episode showed Cohle pretty much hitting rock bottom?

stryker

TRIBE Member
The tail light's symbolic of Cohle and Hart's broken relationship. I think part of it could be what Hogg's saying - dead broke, part of it is also how little Cohle gives a fuck about anything anymore.

Honestly, I think that Cohle might have gotten recruited by the conspiracy he was looking for, maybe even acting as a cleaner for the cult/organization/whatever, if it exists. 8 years dropping "off the grid" as it was put and he's showing up at murder scenes again? Especially after how this last episode showed Cohle pretty much hitting rock bottom?
I think it's also, literally, syymbolic. I think Cohle has kept the tail light busted as a sort of reminder of his betrayal of Hart. Sure they were arguing and had their issues, but I think he violated his own "code" and the tail light is his constant shame/reminder. I think that's why he changed his mind on who's buying the beer. If he drove first, Hart would see the tail light.

There are a few things that are making me wonder as to Cohle's participation/knowledge of this whole thing.

1. Hart keeps saying "the detective's curse...right under your nose the whole time".

2. Cohle making those beer can stickmen, seems a little to close to the bird catchers.

Can't wait for Sunday.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Really? You really think that?

That would expose Pizzolatto as a hack who should have been writing for Lost. This is a character study and a drama, not a mystery looking to twist itself into something less than the sum of its parts.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

rudebwoy

TRIBE Member
There are a few things that are making me wonder as to Cohle's participation/knowledge of this whole thing.

1. Hart keeps saying "the detective's curse...right under your nose the whole time".

2. Cohle making those beer can stickmen, seems a little to close to the bird catchers.

Can't wait for Sunday.
read somewhere that Pizzolatto said that 85% of the info you need to figure out the show was given to us in the first episode…when he said the line about "...under your nose the whole time", seems to confirm that.

c.

janiecakes

TRIBE Member
I wholeheartedly love this show, but I've been having fun reading (and agreeing with) some of the criticisms that have been levelled against it this week. It would have been nice if Pizzolatto could take his writing a smidge less seriously and therefore avoid some of the more ridiculous one-liners ("The world needs bad men Marty. We keep the other bad men from the door" (LOL!) and "You think your betrayal's removed by its interruption?"). It would have also been nice if the women on the show were more than ass, hookers, and nagging wives.

Emily Nussbaum: The Shallowness of “True Detective” : The New Yorker

I also think that while everyone is having seizures of ecstasy over McConnaughey's performance, Harrelson's is the stronger out of the two. Possibly because he gets the more complex, layered role while McConnaughey gets the out-there weirdo role that is probably much easier to play.

Anyway this is fun too: True Detective / by Nigel Evan Dennis

Spinsah

TRIBE Member

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I'm not sure how seriously we're supposed to take Cohle's philosophizing. Mostly because I don't even think he buys it entirely himself. And you're absolutely right about Woody, he's amazing, and Hart is so trapped in his own hapless bullshit that that glum pucker face might never wipe off.

I also think that while everyone is having seizures of ecstasy over McConnaughey's performance, Harrelson's is the stronger out of the two. Possibly because he gets the more complex, layered role while McConnaughey gets the out-there weirdo role that is probably much easier to play.
Totally agree Jane - Harrelson's got the less showy and the less redeemable role in the show, which makes this part of the heart of the show. He's got the tougher job of playing an asshole that a lot of people don't really want to relate to - look at the way he walked into his living room last episode, chased out his two daughters, commandeered the TV and lied like a douchebag to his wife's face while digging into a plate of pasta.

To make him someone that you can still relate to (however uneasily) is a true testament to how underrated actor he is. McConnaughey's got the showy, cerebral monologues, Harrelson's doing a lot more of the emotional core work.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Really? You really think that?

That would expose Pizzolatto as a hack who should have been writing for Lost. This is a character study and a drama, not a mystery looking to twist itself into something less than the sum of its parts.
Dude, I'm struggling to figure out how they're going to wrap this up in two more episodes without being a royal cock tease that was the shitfest that Twin Peaks became, or how The Killing wound up.

I have high hopes, but tying up everything in the next two episodes means they are going to have to travel an insane amount of narrative ground. With all the allusions to HP Lovecraft/The Yellow King, I'm kind of reminded of Morgan Freeman's line in Seven when he says to Brad Pitt: "You know, if John Doe's head splits open and a flying saucer comes flying out of it, you best be ready for it."

I really hope we get a good ending, but there's been so much red herrings and little jabs at possible clues - like the Revival Preacher's coffee mug (it's a John Deere mug - a yellow stag), or the two kids that Harrelson beat up - the blonde wearing a t-shirt with black stars. It's friggin impossible to figure out how they're going to wrap this up without going off the deep end. With McConnaughey talking about M-Theory the previous episode, I'm preparing for pretty far out shit.

Last edited:

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Why don't you think he buys it himself? He seems to take it as seriously as Nic Pizzolatto does!
Because he contradicts himself all the time and generally seems to long for deeper meanings, connections, etc. The death of his daughter and wife obviously took a toll on him and you can see by the way he unloads on Marty for fucking up his marriage. Yet, when Maggie has her way with him, he's complicit but then resentful - she symbolized a lot to him and giving into his own irrational desires, however fleeting, suggests to me that he's a deeply conflicted man. Maybe it's not a demon creeping in at the side of his eyes, but something all together more human.

When Cohle's spinning up a monologue, like he was when observing the revival tent, Hart is quick to point out to him: "When you get to talking like this, you sound panicked."

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
My reaction to this piece is to agree with Linda Holmes from NPR when she said "I think that the issue for me with the women of True Detective isn't that they are *mistreated*, it's that they're largely *untreated*."
To a point, I agree, but it's an eight episode series, and you can make the same argument about race - especially for a story set it a state like Louisiana. It's glaring that it too goes largely untreated.

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
To a point, I agree, but it's an eight episode series, and you can make the same argument about race - especially for a story set it a state like Louisiana. It's glaring that it too goes largely untreated.
One could argue the depiction of rural Lousiana, with its obvious segregation, is treatment itself.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
One could argue the depiction of rural Lousiana, with its obvious segregation, is treatment itself.
Right. And for that same reason, I think the criticism around the treatment about women is misplaced. This a southern Gothic tale about good ol' boys festering in their own troubled world.