• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

True Detective (HBO)

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
It's now down being an extremely gritty cop show - but there's a lot of them out there as is. It stands tall among them, but it's seriously diminished without the occult overtones that helped drive the suspense.
my favourite shot from the past episode was when the dead city manager was being driven in the car and the camera panned over to what appeared to be a crow/raven mask in the back seat.

i'm guessing there could very well be an occult theme to this season (or at the very least shit will be getting very weird).

i'm surprised at the negativity i'm reading. I'll put it down to unreasonably high expectations. The chances are it won't be as good as the first season, but it certainly doesn't deserve the scorn of what many are writing.

If nothing else i thought it was absolutely beautifully shot, and worth watching for no other reason than the visuals.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
i'm surprised at the negativity i'm reading. I'll put it down to unreasonably high expectations. The chances are it won't be as good as the first season, but it certainly doesn't deserve the scorn of what many are writing.

If nothing else i thought it was absolutely beautifully shot, and worth watching for no other reason than the visuals.
Its like when Facebook changes their site and it causes a social media uproar and all these people are quitting facebook. blah blah blah but then they're back at it a week later like nothing happened.

Nothing wrong with criticizing the episode, it did have its flaws but these idiots calling season 2 a failure one episode in are fucking morons.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
Time-shifted it, and both my SO and I liked it. Not quite season 1, of course, but I'm not expecting that.

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
I enjoyed it.
It's obviously different from the first, but isn't that okay? Do people expect an exact copy of season one (boring).
Also - seems like instead of the occult there are lots of kinky sexual references - first with McAdams (and her denied request) and then the missing city planner dude's apartment filled with lewd art, vibrators and the like.

McAdams was great IMO. Loved her drinking / gambling face.
Amazing how neither she nor Farrell smashed themselves on the highway after getting totally blotto 5 mins prior.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am finding this season incredibly slow and overly long and drawn out. Boring even.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Haha and I am totally messed up on Rachel McAdams vs Elizabeth Banks, it was Banks in the movie "Little Accidents" doing a more serious turn... haha... for the life of me i have always confused these two!

In any event another good installment from McAdams last night - with everything on the line for Vince's character we will see just how far he will go, I expect as far as he needs too!

Enjoyed it last night.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
I was pretty impressed with how well Rick Springfield does creepy. Didn't recognize him until the episode ended.

Still reserving judgment on the show, but they seem to be building on the theme of procreation and parents and children.

The Janet Leigh role was unexpected, (if the character survives, then it's not a Janet Leigh role) - might add to the disappointment some are having with the show.

Vaughn's doing pretty good with angry desperation on the verge of ruin. This season might bode very well for a career revival for him, and maybe get him consideration with some more serious roles.

Last edited:

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
show is trying to damn hard

Pizzolatto had excellent source material for season 1 and was also accused of plagiarism with Rust's dialogue. This season he's been found out. Must add though was concerned initially when season 2 was announced that HBO was rushing him. Season 1 felt like a lot of time was invested in bringing that together and I fear trying to recreate that magic in a few months is going to stifle creativity.

Cary Fukunaga is a HUGE loss. Season 2 is badly chopped and shot.

Agree with the rest of you. Dialogue is forced and unbelievable. cast choices are questionable. Everybody is to damn serious, no comedic relief. Character arcs are fucked. Last season the leads were Rust and Marty, this season we have a four way battle, besides Farrell's character the rest are just filling the gaps and doing it badly. I feel this show would have flowed better either without VV or Kitsch

^this

I'll concede that Justin Lin just isn't the right choice for this kind of material. The way he shoots this is pretty uninspired so far. It's starting to feel a bit more like cut rate David Lynch with all the surrealism/atmosphere sucked out of it.

It's not really ringing my bell with all the character drama in place of any real progress with the case, which is starting to feel more and more like background noise.

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
Justin Lin didn't direct the last episode (ep 3 was directed by Janus Metz, whoever that is...)

people have to let season 1 go. if people weren't so busy looking for everything wrong with season 2 they might see some of the things they're doing right.

McAdams has been great so far.

coleridge

TRIBE Member
The fourth detective, the older fatter guy, that says maybe three lines a show, is my favourite character right now. Everything he says is correct. He seems to have the whole thing figured out and is just waiting for the "kids" to catch up.

Or he's involved in the killing some how.

I do agree that McAdams has been great so far. But overall the show is BORING. I have trouble watching it in one go.

WIRED magazine's article this week points out that they think the writer is making vindictive jabs against people he doesn't like. Good example they sited was the striking resemblance between the director of last season's episode with the series defining long tracking shot and the fictional director of the post-apocalyptic movie in this week's episode.

I'll continue to watch, with finger crossed, but my hopes for this show are waning.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Conor Friedersdorf, on top of being a great eye on the revanchist Right, for civil liberties and for a thoughtful perspective on the War on Terror - has had some good stuff on LA and California governance, this piece goes over all the patchwork of municipalities in LA, and the "Vinci City" thing had me remembering his work detailing this craziness in posts like this one:

Los Angeles Is 88 Cities, Many of Them Corrupt - The Atlantic

Vinci looks to be an analog of Vernon city:

It may just be the strangest Los Angeles County municipality of them all. Located five miles south of downtown Los Angeles, it is roughly 5 miles square, touts itself as "exclusively industrial," and has a population of just 112 people. There are no parks or schools - not even a grocery store. But it is home to more than 1800 businesses attracted by its low municipal taxes and lax regulations.​

praktik

TRIBE Member
Conor Friedersdorf, on top of being a great eye on the revanchist Right, for civil liberties and for a thoughtful perspective on the War on Terror - has had some good stuff on LA and California governance, this piece goes over all the patchwork of municipalities in LA, and the "Vinci City" thing had me remembering his work detailing this craziness in posts like this one:

Los Angeles Is 88 Cities, Many of Them Corrupt - The Atlantic

Vinci looks to be an analog of Vernon city:

It may just be the strangest Los Angeles County municipality of them all. Located five miles south of downtown Los Angeles, it is roughly 5 miles square, touts itself as "exclusively industrial," and has a population of just 112 people. There are no parks or schools - not even a grocery store. But it is home to more than 1800 businesses attracted by its low municipal taxes and lax regulations.​
More on Vernon from the Conor piece:

Is it all going to end?

Vernon has become the center of a vast and costly power struggle, as state officials have embarked on an extraordinary campaign to legally abolish the city and make it part of Los Angeles County...

This tiny city has responded with a sophisticated, high-priced battle with the trappings of a national campaign. It has hired a fleet of some of the highest-paid lobbyists, lawyers, political consultants and communications experts in the country. Lawyers are being paid $550 an hour and lobbying firms $12,000 a month. Vernon officials argued that businesses would shut down if Vernon is dis-incorporated, that the Legislature has no legal standing to abolish it and that corruption here has been cleaned up.​

Ah yes, the corruption. This is where it gets good. The last leader of the municipality served as mayor and city council member for 50 years! (His grandfather founded the city.) His colleagues in city government?

To be a councilman in Vernon is to be a chosen one. You don't just move into town and get involved in community affairs. To live within the honeycomb of factories and warehouses, you must get the city to lease you an apartment or home.​

Yes, the city owns all residential property in its jurisdiction. The effect on civic health is predictable:

The five councilmen live in city-owned homes and apartments, paying below-market rents of $147 to $236 a month. As Vernon's leaders, they are both renters and landlords. At least two councilmen have family members or friends who also live in Vernon housing. Contested elections are rare, and all but one of Vernon's five sitting councilmen was appointed to his post. The last time someone won their seat in the small industrial town in an actual election, Richard Nixon was president.​

For running a city of less than 100 people, they are among the highest paid council members in California, earning nearly $70,000 a year for part-time work. They also receive generous medical benefits... with the city paying $100,000 each to cover the healthcare benefits of two City Council members in 2009.​

Never looked into what happened to Vernon after 2011, but sounds like the real life inspiration for Vinci City for sure...

squidly

TRIBE Member
Last seasons first three episodes were similar in pacing to this seasons. I'm not quite sure why so many people are hating it at all i think it's really great so far.

Is Bohemian Grove the Real-Life Secret Society Behind True Detective Season 2? | Vanity Fair

I'm looking forward to where the rest of the season goes. Episode 4 of season one was where the stakes got raised a bunch with that long tracking shot.

With that said Taylor Kitsch is either not a good actor, or his character is poorly drawn out, or both.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
More on Vernon from the Conor piece:

Is it all going to end?

Vernon has become the center of a vast and costly power struggle, as state officials have embarked on an extraordinary campaign to legally abolish the city and make it part of Los Angeles County...

This tiny city has responded with a sophisticated, high-priced battle with the trappings of a national campaign. It has hired a fleet of some of the highest-paid lobbyists, lawyers, political consultants and communications experts in the country. Lawyers are being paid $550 an hour and lobbying firms $12,000 a month. Vernon officials argued that businesses would shut down if Vernon is dis-incorporated, that the Legislature has no legal standing to abolish it and that corruption here has been cleaned up.​

Ah yes, the corruption. This is where it gets good. The last leader of the municipality served as mayor and city council member for 50 years! (His grandfather founded the city.) His colleagues in city government?

To be a councilman in Vernon is to be a chosen one. You don't just move into town and get involved in community affairs. To live within the honeycomb of factories and warehouses, you must get the city to lease you an apartment or home.​

Yes, the city owns all residential property in its jurisdiction. The effect on civic health is predictable:

The five councilmen live in city-owned homes and apartments, paying below-market rents of $147 to $236 a month. As Vernon's leaders, they are both renters and landlords. At least two councilmen have family members or friends who also live in Vernon housing. Contested elections are rare, and all but one of Vernon's five sitting councilmen was appointed to his post. The last time someone won their seat in the small industrial town in an actual election, Richard Nixon was president.​

For running a city of less than 100 people, they are among the highest paid council members in California, earning nearly $70,000 a year for part-time work. They also receive generous medical benefits... with the city paying $100,000 each to cover the healthcare benefits of two City Council members in 2009.​

Never looked into what happened to Vernon after 2011, but sounds like the real life inspiration for Vinci City for sure...
Let's Explore The Corrupt Town That Inspired True Detective 

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders