1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Trudeau is against the Canadian worker

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by wickedken, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

I stream everything as well

2. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

3. Bernnie Federko

Ottawa is slashing the carbon tax to ease competitiveness concerns

The federal government issued new guidelines that will drastically reduce the scope of its planned carbon tax: it will lower the percentage of emissions on which large polluters will have to pay the carbon tax and offer bigger breaks for energy-intensive companies that face tough international competition. The decision follows months of lobbying by industries and comes just as Ontario is backing out of cap-and-trade.

Ottawa issued draft regulations in January indicating companies would have to pay the carbon tax on roughly 30 per cent of their emissions, with a benchmark set at 70 per cent of their industry’s average emissions performance. The new rules to start in January will lower that requirement to pay tax on 20 per cent of emissions, and some particularly vulnerable industries – including cement and steel making – will pay tax on roughly 10 per cent of their greenhouse gas emissions. The federal government will impose the carbon tax in Ontario, as well as in Saskatchewan and – either in whole or in part – in those provinces that do not meet Ottawa’s stringency standards.

4. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Save now, pay more later

This pushes more carbon debt onto our kids

5. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

They're just getting started down this slope towards elimination of the tax if they have agreed that there is a balance between "economic competitiveness" and "fighting climate change" - unless of course that's not the actual goal for the tax.

6. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

7. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

8. workdowntown

workdowntown TRIBE Member

Liberal democracies are set up for this from the get-go.

All parties in modern 2 party systems uphold the status quo in favour of the ruling classes, far more shamelessly so when labour movements/class-solidarity are as neutered as we see in the 21st century.

A more than superficial shift in the in-practice economic policies of allegedly soc-dem-liberal "left" parties only occurs when those at the lower rungs threaten the stability
    of the system that grants the politicos their power and status.

Centre-left parties in liberal democracies do just as much to appease capital/ruling classes as even the most rapacious right-winger, and only start
    espousing pro-worker politics and regulatory reining-in of the worst excesses when enough of the ruled-class begin agitating for more than the standard liberal incrementalism.

9. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

The Trudeau/Freeland combination are winning. No doubt Trump is better at this art of the deal thing than Trudeau and Freeland combined. What else have they secretly "negotiated" away?

Steel yourself, Canada: Tariff deal falls short of 'a full lift'. The agreement to end steel and aluminum tariffs points to where the Trump administration's protectionism may head next - and it's not really a return to a North American free trade zone for steel and aluminum

But a "full lift" of the tariffs didn't really come without concessions, despite what Trudeau suggested May 17.

"There wasn't a way to this without some sort of concession to the United States," said former U.S. diplomat Sarah Goldfeder as the deal was announced. "This is a necessary evil."

Last edited: May 26, 2019
  10. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

I'm not certain how you think it's just "centre-left parties" that "appease capital".

11. Bernnie Federko

I'm curious why you would say Trump is better than your scapegoats?

What is your alternative proposed solution to a protectionist approach from the current American administration? Bailouts? Free metropasses?

12. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

No, I'm curious why you would say Trudeau is better than Derrick Carter as an alternative proposed solution to a longer-than-expected Winter season and perhaps you will chance on a free metro pass!

13. Bernnie Federko

"I'm WickedKen, I'm an anti liberalism word salad volunteer shill that gets called out for my pro conservative bias. I don't vote buttttt gimme a transit pass my bro-bros, yo, yo, yo for real"

14. Bernnie Federko

Bruh? UR Gonna wanna sit down for this one

15. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

Sunday... check.
    Deflecting Trudeau critiques... check.
    Must be Bernie!

16. Bernnie Federko

I critique all the leaders and parties. Why don't you?

17. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

I've written all the "leaders" off.

18. Bernnie Federko

You say that, it's true. Yet in actual practice there's only one party you're actively shitposting & being critical toward.

19. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

What's the point? Seems like criticizing Paul Schaeffer as a late night tv host. It's also a waste of time imo to pay attention to anything the PCs are doing, both federally and in Ontario.

20. Bernnie Federko

Because it's disingenuous and hypocritically transparent to only ever shitpost against the Liberals, never post in support of anything they enact? Yet you remain silent when the Conservatives shit the bed? Or boost them and their policies? Maybe that's why?

I especially like how you only deflect when called on it, as if this is a Zero Sum game. Like, what you gonna win or lose bro? What's the Dilly?

21. wickedken

wickedken TRIBE Member

The "dilly" is that I'll shitpost anything I want.

22. Bernnie Federko

Just not about your boys Scheer, Ford, Kenney, or anyone or anything Conservative :)

23. Bernnie Federko

Trade deficit narrows to lowest point in six months: Canada’s trade deficit shrank to its lowest level in six months at $996-million, down from $2.3-billion in March. The improvement is driven by a combination of improved exports and a pullback in imports, and could be evidence that our economy continues to recover from a half-year slump

24. Bernnie Federko

If Trudeau is anti Canadian workers', then WickedKen must be pro-union

25. Bernnie Federko

Canadian unemployment hits record low as economy adds 27,700 jobs

Economists had braced for the possibility of a small pullback in employment last month (for subscribers). Instead, the labour market posted an almost unheard-of growth run in an economic indicator that is typically prone to ups and downs from month to month.

However, economists cautioned that details beneath the surface were mixed, with both encouraging signs and several weak spots. They noted that the drop in unemployment was largely because of a decline of nearly 50,000 in the size of the labour force – something not typically associated with labour-market strength.

This month’s gains were led by increases in health care and social services (up 20,400 jobs) and professional, scientific and technical services (up 17,200). On the downside, the business and building-support services segment lost 19,400 jobs, while accommodations and restaurant employment fell 12,400.