• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Tripwire at System

nate

TRIBE Member
well from what i saw his set was there, but not really there, or was that me. either way he was ok, i didn't pay a whole lot of attention to his set, but the crowd was rather thin so maybe that had something to do with it. I chose to spend my time ripping it up to linzee's sweet beats in the vip area. her style suits my tastes and i enjoyed it, it also helps to see the dj enjoying the track just thrown down as much as the people on the dance floor. The stop at system was a quick stop in to rip it up and expell some energy, and that is how it shook down.
sorry if i didn't completely answer your question but from what i gather he was dropping some nice tracks but the crowd wasn't exactly screaming for more.

peace!

nate!

erikwh

TRIBE Member
I was pretty surprised by the low turnout. Got there around 1 and the mainroom was looking pretty thin. Stayed till 4:30 or so and by then the place was empty. Tripwire's set was pretty good. Lots of techy stuff. I liked the more acid house stuff he played throughout the night. I don't usually go to system on saturday so I can't really compare. oh yeah what is that huge structure in the back room?

duggystyler

TRIBE Promoter
first of all yes, that stupid, ugly thing is still there. hopefully they get rid of it when they renovate.
matt lunnen opened the night in top form for his main room debut at system! he layed down some deep, dirty, techy house that was much more suited to warming up tripwire than stretch and hooker. s&h played good, it just should have been them first, then ml, then tripwire, then not evil p. dont get me wrong, evil p's got mad skills, and i give him lotsa' 'spect, he just seems oblivious to who, or what was playing before he goes on - it's just straight into the tribal nonsense with no transitional period.
jay tripwire played wiked, he just seemed bummed about the turnout, and the lack of enthusiasm. i was too! i mean it's the guy's first appearance at system, he's like one of the hottest things going in house at the moment, he's celebrating his 50th release and no one shows up, and the people who do, don't really dance. who knows, maybe it was the weather or something. highlight of his set was 'tonight' by h - foundation. but he played a variety of jackin, electric, acidy, techy, funky house, trying to get a reaction out of the floor, the guy came to please and he tried his damndest. do not miss this guy when and if he returns. if you love house or techno, you will not be disappointed. like brett johnson a few weeks ago, this man is as good a dj as he is a producer. and it is very obvious he loves what he's doing and has an extensive knowledge of house music as well as dance music in general.

duggystyler

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by erikwh
oh yeah what is that huge structure in the back room?
sorry, i thought you said IS that structure still there. i think it is supposed to be a giant monkey smoking a big spliff! i guess they tried to give that room a more 'junglist' feeling. that thing is ugly, and takes up too much space. they should get rid of that, get rid of the bar, and push the booth into a corner or something. i'm interested to see what they do with the renovations. and as for 'junglist' decorations, i've always liked the classic palm tree, who remembers that delirium party at cinespace?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by duggystyler
and as for 'junglist' decorations, i've always liked the classic palm tree, who remembers that delirium party at cinespace?
I rememeber Syrous @ cinespace.

The lazers coming through the palm trees were amazing!

DEEPHOUSEGRL

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SENSEi
I rememeber Syrous @ cinespace.

The lazers coming through the palm trees were amazing!
That was my first 'rave'....sniff sniff :(

BTW- Jay Tripwire was pretty good, I enjoyed his set alot. I was really looking forward to finally hearing him. Although, the club was a bit sparse; the crowd was still enthusiastic enough to get down on the dancefloor. In my opinion, I prefer the amount of people that were there at the club...although I'm sure the promoters might want to disagree with me on that one!

nuttz

TRIBE Member
For those who live in the states. Jay Tripwire is now allowed back into the states. He's going on a tour starting in May.

SENSEi

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by DEEPHOUSEGRL
Mine too.

Champions of Champions?
Kenny Ken, Andy C and the Hardkiss Brothers?!!

Man was that a great party!!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

AshG

Originally posted by DEEPHOUSEGRL

BTW- Jay Tripwire was pretty good, I enjoyed his set alot. I was really looking forward to finally hearing him. Although, the club was a bit sparse; the crowd was still enthusiastic enough to get down on the dancefloor. In my opinion, I prefer the amount of people that were there at the club...although I'm sure the promoters might want to disagree with me on that one!
ack! didn't see you there!

have to agree that mat started off things quite well, developing a tougher groove than might otherwise be expected, in anticipation of tripwire's later set. highlight - the "cowbell" track! :D

stretch and hooker were on next, and i was kind of surprised to see a more subdued crowd than usual at that hour. anyway, i'm a fan of s&h, but i think that on this particular night, they could have done a better job building things up proppa for tripwire. nevertheless, good tuneage.

tripwire's set was good, but didn't get a massive reaction. to be honest i thought he played a bit better when i heard him the night before, but then again i left relatively early because i wasn't feeling 100%, so i can't say for sure.
in any case though, he dropped some great tunes including some unreleased stuff that sounded, honestly, the best stuff i've heard in a while. the kind of thing that sounds great in a club, in a car, or in your bedroom if you get my meaning.

didn't get a chance to catch any of linzee's set in the side room, but drury was doing a top notch job with the soulful shizz.

i hadn't checked system since they started the jungle thing in the back room. i can't say i know anything about jungle, but the back room seemed fairly busy. gotta agree though, that paper mache monstrosity has to go - looks like some gr. 8 kid's year end project grown horribly wrong. has to be said.

all in all, a good, if not incredible night, and i'll reiterate that tripwire's a talent that probably gets more props out-of-country than in his homeland.
just wish i hadn't had to leave quite so early!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

TRO

TRIBE Member
popped in for a bit to see drury...(special thanks to the bouncers for letting me in for a few minutes)..but never saw him:(

Saw dipguyver..yea really low turn out but LINZ was TEARING IT UP IN THE VIP ROOM ohh my damn...Mr. Gleeson I was looking for you but again I was only there for 15 minutes tops...

lnizee you rock...thanks for watching my bag while I took a walk around...

hope to see you all there for my turn at bat this friday @ System

-Bill