• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Triplets of Belleville

AshG

Who else is pumped for this movie?!

Well, maybe "pumped" isn't the right word, but excited anyway...

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AshG
Who else is pumped for this movie?!

Well, maybe "pumped" isn't the right word, but excited anyway...
Looks neato

Seen the previews a few times now and I think it will be a real departure from some of the animated tripe thats been in theaters recently (brother bear?).

Obviously this is for adults, I'm just making a comment that there hasn't been anything really good and animated in theaters in a long while. Spirited Away is the last I can think of, but I might be forgetting a Pixar flick or something.

vox

TRIBE Member
i'm not really a fan of the style, but i'm interested nonetheless.

i really liked finding nemo...and i'm one of the few who really enjoyed lilo and stitch.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

AshG

Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa
Isn't this french?
Belleville-Rendezvous was the french version, though there is little speaking in any case, so i doubt it matters.

catilyst

TRIBE Member
I saw it at the film fest and it was pretty good. Type of movie that if I saw an ad for probably wouldn't be very excited about but rythmic feel of the timing in this show plus the interesting story it tells made it one of the top couple of movies seen this year.

very recommended.

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
There's a good chance I can score a pass to the screening of this tonite (Thurs) so if you want one pm me, see what I can do

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Saw it tonight, it's playing in Oakville now at AMC Winston Churchill.

It was essentially what I had hoped for/expected.

A very fun, offbeat and different film.
The animation is all over the place, with lots of different styles used, including some very well done 3d (ocean scene).

The music is the largest element of the film, mostly due to the fact that there is next to no speech. The score is fantastic, with a lot of neat improvisation as far as instruments and sounds go. Some elements reminded me of the Akira soundtrack meets Aphex Twin meets 30s big band (weird, I know).

It was quite short, just over 80 minutes, but it moved along nicely.

Definitely something out of the ordinary. Not too sure about paying $13 to see it, but if you're looking for something that stands out be sure and hit it up.

feisty boy

TRIBE Member
saw this last night, and was blown away. probably because the pacing, humour, and artistic style were so close to my own taste.

the illustration is fantastic - totally surrealistic and inventive. the characters are all at once simplistic charicatures and full of a strange emotional depth. the story is bizzare yet totally compelling.

anyone with an interest in any sort of graphic or illustrative art should see this. anyone with an interest in music should see this. anyone with an interest in storytelling should see this. anyone with an interest in unique uncompromising filmmaking should see this.
GO SEE IT ALREADY!!

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i saw this flick last night and i totally loved it!
its so beautifully surreal while still maintaining a clear narrative. (does that even make sense?)
the characters are so wonderful...the music is amazing! i was singing the song that the triplets sing all last night.
there were so many amazing parts, like the grandmere's whistle blowing, the dog's conflict between dividing his attention between the train and the frog, the Agent Smith-like depiction of the mafiosos, the use of the dog as the spare tire...
honestly, there were so many hysterical and wonderful moments in this film.
visually, i thought the ocean during the storm was gorgeous, and the animation style of the dog's dream sequences was incredible.

its one of those films that you sorta sit through and think of all the other people you know who would totally fucking love it.

tweet! tweet! tweet! tweet!

kerouacdude

TRIBE Member
I live two blocks from the Carlton, waiting for this to come around soon...animation-wise, it reminds me of this cartoon they used to show us in grade school, can't remember the name of it though.

seeker

TRIBE Member
I'm looking forward to seeing this. Only one mention of high-priced theatres... is this worth paying Silver City prices for?

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i paid something stupid like $14 at the Varsity last night. i immediately forgot about the ticket price when the film started.

(i don't know though... its such a hard question to answer. money is worth something different to everyone, right?)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

seeker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Booty Bits
i paid something stupid like $14 at the Varsity last night. i immediately forgot about the ticket price when the film started.

(i don't know though... its such a hard question to answer. money is worth something different to everyone, right?)
for context:

to me it was worth paying $13 at Silver City for all of the Lord Of The Rings movies. The epic scenery made it a requirement.

I was happy paying $4 for Adaptation at the UWO cinema because it didn't need to be shown on a huge screen to get a feel for what a great film it was. It has its cinematographic moments, but it's not 'epic'.

So, does this require "Big Screen, Big Sound", or should I spend the extra $9 on popcorn?

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
I just saw this this week (9 bucks for a Varsity matinee since people are caring.) It made me so happy. Quite a few times recently I have been watching a movie and lamenting the loss of classic animation to the tidal wave of CG. But of course I don't think CG, or any technology made available to film making should be ignored for any purist notions. This film was a beautiful example of how these elements can be used in an integrated and meanigful fashion.

Seeing surrealism like this that is so adept at evoking an emotional reaction (I was sooooo sad for that poor woman and dog lost in the labyrinth of Belleville with their dear one ripped from their lives) really reaffirms my opinion that pure realism is a very limited form that we should stop using so goddamn much.

It so deserved it's Oscar nom. I wish it had won.

I'm downloading the soundtrack now!

i didn't like it

maybe it was the company i was with, but i just didn't find it all that captivating, and i didn't love the drawing style or aesthetic

i can appreciate why others liked it, and i liked certain things (def. the theme song and also the bizarro distorted proportions and animal-characters)

but .. it was only okay for me.

i would have rather seen you got served to be honest

haha

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
know lots of people from Bellevilel Ontario, from what I understand it's not quite the teeming metropolis the Triplets live in!

Another thing I didn't mention is that loved how they decided to make everyone fat and just ran with it. Those city people were the most corpulent cartoons ever.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories