• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Tribe Poker Thread

JamesM

TRIBE Member
I loled. Haha.... :/

I basically got up after the first hand, and told the guys: well that was fun! To which they laughed at me, or with me. Sometimes you can't tell when you've been drinking since you got up In the hotel.

They're really strict now with how you handle your chips. You basically can only put them in when you have literally removed the right amount like a robot. Otherwise you'll get it from the dealer.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Was a bad beat though. Typically two pairs off the flop would win it VS rockets. The dealer had to remind me how I got it beat on the river loole, but won't hesitate to tell you everything your doing wrong with your procedure.

g0nz0

TRIBE Member
Was a bad beat though. Typically two pairs off the flop would win it VS rockets. The dealer had to remind me how I got it beat on the river loole, but won't hesitate to tell you everything your doing wrong with your procedure.
So you played Q4 on your first hand and were mad you got beat by AA?

acheron

TRIBE Member
This is where I don't get this whole "bad beat" thing - that's only from the perspective of the person who lost, I suppose. You didn't know he had A-A. Buddy who's sitting there with pocket rockets (A-A) is looking at Q4x on the flop and thinking, what're the chances someone can put something together from that to beat A-A? Granted A-A is deceptive at times but he's still got two chances at those other two aces, or the Q4 pairing up, or a new pair, etc. I don't think it's bad poker to stay in with A-A, depending on how he's read the table. I mean you had just sat down. How the hell is anyone supposed to read you, and how are you supposed to read anyone else?

It's not always about percentages - a lot of it is reading the other players' style, their faces - which is the main reason I never play poker online.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Yeah the guy who beat me had an absolute tower of chips going. Maybe it would have been better if I took time to read the table properly. But it's still a bad beat no matter which way you Slice it. Like I said my poker has been dreadful lately.

Time to flip the system. I'm used to being that guy who wins. :(

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
^First of all I'm no poker expert or superstar in this reality. However, judging by what you've written so far, I'm sure anyone that frequently contributes in this thread would agree they'd love for you to be at our table. Don't you dare quit or retire from the game, we want you back. That's an order! :D

Please watch Matt Damon and Ed Norton's 1998 movie "Rounders" and pay attention to some of the dialogue. Some of what Matt says in the movie is specifically talking about you. LOL

Last edited:

stanimal

TRIBE Member
Yeah the guy who beat me had an absolute tower of chips going. Maybe it would have been better if I took time to read the table properly. But it's still a bad beat no matter which way you Slice it. Like I said my poker has been dreadful lately.

So your poker has been "dreadful" lately because you lost having got your stack in as 3 to 1 favourite? Sounds like you're just lamenting about your luck.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
On guise whatever. I said a had a bad beat, and you're all ganging up on me like I totally messed a great hand. Fuuuuuk u! I'm retiring.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Rockets Rockets. He catches two pairs on the table on the river. His two pairs obviously trump my Q4. On the river. You all suck.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
So you played Q4 on your first hand and were mad you got beat by AA?
As most would know what happened to JamesM is actually not considered a "bad beat", in technical poker terms. He actually just got rivered and the term more commonly used is he got "counterfeited" when the board paired up making his opponent a better 2 pair.

Also, JamesM didn't mention when he picked up his hole cards (Q,4) whether they were suited or not and in what position. There is only one justification that would make anyone feel sorry for him losing that hand. It would be if he got (Q,4) in the big blind (even small blind) position without a raise from his opponent who had the AA's and flopped his 2 pair without a pre-flop raise.

If he called a preflop raise, especially if it was Q,4 offsuit that was just a very poor hand selection or bad poker playing in general with a preflop raise. As I mentioned, JamesM never did give us the exact details of how this played out. Whether there was a preflop raise before JamesM played Q,4 is important to know for the specifics of how this hand played out. We all what happened he lost.

Just my 2 cents. Also, I'm still in the red and still learning poker myself. :p

JamesM

TRIBE Member
It was all in after the flop. He Called. Am I not explaining myself correctly? In my hand I had Q4, flop had another Q4.
Went all in and another like two fours came on the table, on the river. Meaning he had the higher two pair with the rockets, and everyone had a great laugh except for me.

We all done now? Loole har har har.!!!

basketballjones

TRIBE Member

that is not a bad beat
a bad beat is making a straight to the K on the turn and he gets a straight to the A on the river after he called your all in after the flop

silver1

TRIBE Member
Rave Jedi had the most pertinent questions:

1. What position were you in?
2. Was your Q4 suited or not?
3. What happened pre-flop?

wickedken

TRIBE Member
I've decided I've gotten all I can from these books so put them on Kajiji: Super System, Small Stakes Hold Em and the two Harrington Tournament books. Think $30 is a fair price?

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Simply, AA had the best hand going in. And the best hand prevailed.
I don't even know where to start with this logic. When the big money went in the middle, James was ahead. That's the part that matters. The AA moron only wagered a very small amount of money while ahead, a single raise pre-flop, maybe. 3-5 big blinds. He then bet his stack when behind.

stanimal

TRIBE Member
So you're saying this is a case of AA misplayed and let a garbage hand catch up?
No. IMO, the whole hand seems fairly standard, esp. at the 1-2 level at Niagara. Maybe the AA guy could have got away from his hand on the flop, depending on how the action was on the flop, but you can't really fault the AA guy for calling James' all-in on the relatively dry flop.

"Bad Beat" is a subjective term. Ultimately in this case, James' got the majority of his money in as a 75% favourite, which means he will still lose 1 out of every 4 times, which is what happened here. No one played their hand 'wrong'. That's just poker.

Ho||yw0oD

TRIBE Member
So many variables to consider in assessing play on Q,4: game play history (i.e. liberal v. conservative players), stack size, hand position, instincts/luck, pre-flop raise amount, pot odds.

9 out of 10 times I would be folding that hand without question and likelihood of me calling a pre-flop raise with Q,4 is even smaller. But that's just how I play.

But yeah, sounds like the AA was misplayed. At least there is one constant in poker: the best hand always wins.