• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

tribe dog lovers? lookin for a couple certain breeds...

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
im seriously thinkin about getting another dog.

i really miss my basset hound a lot, however, he was stupid... very very stupid and stubborn.
i really dont want a bigger dog again (fucker was huge!) yea i know they aint really that big, but goddamn they look cool ;)

anyways, i was thinking of the following 2 breeds, and since i really suck at google and cant seem to find f all in terms of breeders, was wondering if anyone knew of a reputable breeder for any of these 2 breeds im interested in:

Shiba Inu
Italian Greyhound

both are small, both kick ass, the greyhound dont smell, which is a HUGE plus, the downside is that i probably would never ever catch it if it decided to run...

and the shiba inu looks like it wont hesitate in taking off your face at a moments notice... even though it's a very kind, loving cute lookin dog. Kinda like that small dinosaur that chewed up newman in jurassic park. lol

faunty

TRIBE Member
the Shiba Inu is basically a wolf in ah wolfs clothing, their fiercely independant and given the chance they're off.

deevah

TRIBE Member
shiba Inu temperament AKC
Temperament
A spirited boldness, a good nature, and an unaffected forthrightness, which together yield dignity and natural beauty. The Shiba has an independent nature and can be reserved toward strangers but is loyal and affectionate to those who earn his respect. At times aggressive toward other dogs, the Shiba is always under the control of his handler. Any aggression toward handler or judge or any overt shyness must be severely penalized.

Italian greyhound
Temperament
A spirited boldness, a good nature, and an unaffected forthrightness, which together yield dignity and natural beauty. The Shiba has an independent nature and can be reserved toward strangers but is loyal and affectionate to those who earn his respect. At times aggressive toward other dogs, the Shiba is always under the control of his handler. Any aggression toward handler or judge or any overt shyness must be severely penalized.

i'd prolly choose the greyhound

but damn those shiba puppies are adorable

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
My cousin has an Italian Greyhound. It is flighty, highstrung, and so nervous it shakes all the time. It also has such a short coat that it has to wear clothes all the time so she dresses it up in little outfits. Poor thing.

Any dog that doesn't stand as high as your knee or requires a wardrobe isn't a dog.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
Rataxès said:
Any dog that doesn't stand as high as your knee or requires a wardrobe isn't a dog.
hush! my two dogs together weigh 12 lbs and they are pure doggy awesome. it's all about how you raise them.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Shiba Inus are amazing dogs. I've known a few of them in my lifetime and not only are they very smart, they are usually very loyal to their owners.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
~atp~ said:
Shiba Inus are amazing dogs. I've known a few of them in my lifetime and not only are they very smart, they are usually very loyal to their owners.
which isn't always a good characteristic for city dogs.

where do you live, kodiak?

if you're going to be in constant close proximity to neighbours and neighbouring dogs, the best breed is one who doesn't attach too intensely to his or her owner. think about your lifestyle and then find a dog who complements it. a breed that's ideal for one person, may be the worst possible match for another.

shiba inus (from http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/reviews/shibainu.html):
-Vigorous exercise requirements
-Massive destructiveness when bored or left alone too much
-Suspiciousness toward strangers when not socialized enough
-Aggression toward other animals -- strong chasing instincts

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Rataxès said:
My cousin has an Italian Greyhound. It is flighty, highstrung, and so nervous it shakes all the time. It also has such a short coat that it has to wear clothes all the time so she dresses it up in little outfits. Poor thing.

I wouldnt go as far as saying they are not a dog..but I am definitely a medium/big dog person.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
Have to say... If anyone is unsure, but interested, Rotties are amazing. Be firm but loving and they are the most devoted and sweet pet you will ever have (IMO :p ).. Also..very quiet. Not high strung at all and great with kids

squirrely

TRIBE Member
^^^ my new pup looks like a mini rotti:

but he's actually a dachshund/poodle cross.

i.e. smart and funny as hell, but yappy and stubborn as fuck.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
yep, two dogs! (i'm insane, i know.)

here's gracie, alive and well:

she's also a dachshund/poodle cross, and she's also a mouthy little asshole. but omg i love them both so much.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
ok this is the last pic then it's back to shibas and greyhounds i swear!!

i am a mutt fiend. i'm not sure why exactly, since i grew up with a (WONDERFUL) German Wirehaired Pointer, but there's something about a dog that makes me go "what the hell is that???" that i just can't resist.