• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Tribe Dad thread!

sk8

TRIBE Member
congrats on your little girl kennyboy!
and congrats to all the expecting dads too!

this thread makes me smile - i love to see the dads so excited and enthusiastic. :)

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Congrats. I remember feeding thru the tube, so difficult, so annoying. Eventually my wife figured it out and by that time the milk came in. It's only been 6 months, but its hard to remember my son being an infant.

Take lots of videos and pictures.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Thanks for all the well wishes. And all the best to the all the new parents to-be.

It's been a tough first week but nothing that most new parents haven't gone through. Probably the hardest part is adjusting the sleeping patterns. Getting up every couple of hours has been hard, but one look at Emma's little face makes it all worth while.

Fingers crossed, we're starting to get the hang of breast feeding, which hopefully will make this a little easier. Either way, she's putting weight back on and her health is looking good, which is all that I really care about.

One of these days I'll get a few pics up on the cutest baby thread.

Now, if only I could grab an hour or two of sleep :)

Colm

TRIBE Member
Well, my wife and I are now proud parents of a beautiful baby girl.

Emma Grace - 7lb 2oz

My wife delivered on Monday after a short (5 hour) labour. Unfortunately Emma hasn't quite figured out how to breastfeed so we ended up back in the hospital yesterday as she was losing too much weight and her sodium levels were too high.

24 hours later we're back home and trying a combination of techiques (breast & finger feeding) but at least she's eating and gaining weight.

After 41 weeks of waiting, I can honestly say it was well worth it. My life will never be the same again.

Cheers to all the moms & dads on the board.

:)
Congratulations!

5 hours is short? I think my lil' dude spoiled me, he literally flew out in 45 minutes. I barely had time to comprehend what was happening and whammo, that kid that's been floating in my wife for 9 months is in my arms. He had trouble feeding too; it was so stressful. I remember over-analyzing every little thing. One of the first things I learned as a dad was the virtue of patience.

Eventually we settled on using a nipple shield, which was a life-saver for the 3 of us. He used it for about 3 weeks until my wife, who is a super-hero, managed to get him to feed au naturale. Now he calls it 'bou': My wife and I get home, he sees her and startings grabbing at her titties, saying 'bou-bou-bou'. Just like I used to, sniff-sniff.

Last edited:
tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Colm

TRIBE Member
Oh, and kennyboy, I had several moments during the first few months where the red mist descended and I had to take some breathers to keep my head. So don't take it to heart if you want to launch your child through the window after she's been crying in your face for 2 hours while your wife is at pilates.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
sandra and i got Darius this...she seems to enjoy it !
Flat Eric doll !

in all honesty, i think we enjoy it more right now.

echootje

TRIBE Member
I didn't know this thread was here! Didn't look to hard though : /

Do you guys know anything about High Chairs? What are you using, why is it good/bad and what would you have gotten now that you've had time to think about it? I wasn't sure whether I should be getting a high chair or a booster seat that will save some space and cost a little less.

Thanks,
Rob

agentRC4

TRIBE Member

Do you guys know anything about High Chairs? What are you using, why is it good/bad and what would you have gotten now that you've had time to think about it? I wasn't sure whether I should be getting a high chair or a booster seat that will save some space and cost a little less.

Thanks,
Rob
High chair mos def.

We got both and our daughter uses the high chair no matter what. The one we have you can adjust the seat hight depending on your table, and it folds almost flat when not in use. It cleans easy and you can attach toys from her exercauser to the tray. Very cool.

another question. How do eye doctors test kids eyes if they can't read? Both my wife and I had glasses at a young age and we wondering how they test 3 year old eyes? Who has a kid with braces.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Colm

TRIBE Member
I inherited a late '90s Peg Perego high chair from my cousins. It's doing what it needs to do, but I really want to spend the $$$ and pick up a Svan chair.

ARC4 - You look at pictures, no? I've had glasses since I was 3 and have some vague, cloudly memories of looking at yellow ducks at the Oakville hospital.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
I can't remember how my eyes were tested and i was a bit older too when they were.

I don't think she has a problem with her eyesight, but just thinking she will one day as we both do.

I ment to ask who has kids with glasses, but I was thinking 'lisa needs braces: lol

sk8

TRIBE Member
another question. How do eye doctors test kids eyes if they can't read? Both my wife and I had glasses at a young age and we wondering how they test 3 year old eyes? Who has a kid with braces.
There's a chart with pictures for kids. stars, hearts, boats, etc

Teflon

TRIBE Member
Wait until they get older.

My son's 10 now. Last month he asked me to drive him to school early and come with him to his classroom so that he could drop off a valentines gift for his secret sweetheart.

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member

Thanks,
Rob
Ooops someone beat me to it... Anyway 2 recommendations for this and it clen up is a breeze... One thing I cannot figure out is why highchair manufacturers use quilted vinyl padding on the chairs which traps all the food and crap that your kid slosh's around andis impossible to keep clean...

We got this after having a high chair and somewhat regret getting the highchair first...

We found this works just as good as a highchair and is handy to have when you go to resto's that do not have highchairs or the highchairs that they have are filthy which is 90% of them... Price wise this booster seat/chair is about $30 at Walmart, Toys R Us... Easy to transport as in to take to restos or grandma's house and will stay put on the chair and slide under the kitchen table...

Give it a try first and if it does not work get a highchair and you can use this later on...

Last edited:

Jenniflex

TRIBE Member
One thing I do like about a high chair is that it is counter height, so when I'm making dinner or doing dishes I can put Izzy in her chair and she feels involved. I also like that our chair has wheels and I can move her when she is eating to where ever I happen to be, the computer or dining space or as I mentioned above, the kitchen.

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
Birthday Party Ideas 2yr Old

Our son is turning 2 in about a month and we are going to have a party at our house for him and I am looking for some ideas from those that have done the same thing...

We are going to invite friends from his daycare to attend and are looking to have it from 10 AM to 12 PM as just after lunch is when the tots have their nap... Thinking cupcake decorating, balloon animals that I have been practicing which are turning out great, and singing songs with the acoustic guitar...

seeker

TRIBE Member
a little while ago i was sitting in our rocking chair with my 8 mth old son, Brennan. on the couch was my 3 yr old, Dylan. we were listening to the stereo, and itunes was on shuffle. dylan has really taken to rhythmically banging himself into the back of the couch. you've probably seen other kids (or your own) do this: they lean forward, and then slam themvelves into the back of the couch. repeatedly. for hours.

this, of course, amazes Brennan. it amazes him so much that he's taken to trying to do it himself. on me. hehe

anyway, that was the scene in the living room when itunes shuffled it's way to 'black sabbath'. immediately, Dylan caught the rhythm and timed his banging to it. Brennan, ever mindful of the important lessons he thinks he should be learning from his elder brother, followed suit. and being that i'm a (reformed, i swear) headbanger myself, i too started (mildly, as an aged man might) banging my head (and grinning).

Dylan said to me "I really like this Daddy. What is it?"

"Black Sabbath, Dylan. You're grandmother would be so disappointed right now!"

man, being a Dad is incredible. :D

Last edited:

rod_g

TRIBE Member
To all pop's

Mastermind Toys Warehouse Sale

Founded in 1984 by brothers Andy and Jonathan Levy, Mastermind is Canada’s largest and most successful independently owned specialty toy retailer with 10 locations across the Greater Toronto Area. Both in-store and online, Mastermind carries over 8,500 educational and fun toys, books, games, puzzles and software offering exceptional service and complimentary gift wrap. The warehouse sale in May will offer up to 70% off all regular items. They boast “limited quantities but awesome selection”.

Dates:
May 20-27, 2009

Tue 10AM-5PM
Wed-Fri 9AM-6PM
Sat 9AM-6PM
Sun 12-5PM
Address and Phone Number:

416 Milner Avenue
Scarborough, Ontario

416-321-8984